Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of T man
posted
I haven't seen these discussed much on here, what do you guys know about them?

I didn't go up there to die, I went up there to live.

Posts: 114 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://forums.accuratereloadin...orum_scope=760101804

121 pages

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I have shot a friend's chapuis 470 and it did not fit me. After 2 or 4 shots my head was reeling and my cheek was sore for a week. The same day I shot a Jeffery 600 with no problems.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11249 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
From George Caswell of Champlin Arms, who has forgotten more about fine doubles than I will ever know:

"We have had every current made boxlock double rifle in our shop, have shot them all, worked on all, had all of them apart and we know for fact that you can't buy a better one for the money than a Chapuis. We regulate, re-joint, do triggers, re-barrel and hunt with and shoot a lot of double rifles. We flat know this is one tough, attractive, high precision, go to Africa and have money left for the second Buffalo type of gun. I challenge you to show me a better current double rifle for the money."

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nakihunter:
I have shot a friend's chapuis 470 and it did not fit me. After 2 or 4 shots my head was reeling and my cheek was sore for a week. The same day I shot a Jeffery 600 with no problems.

That is purely from the ill-fitment of the stock, and nothing else. my Sabatti does the same in 45-70, yet my 9.3 Chapuis is no where near as bad.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
From George Caswell of Champlin Arms, who has forgotten more about fine doubles than I will ever know:

"We have had every current made boxlock double rifle in our shop, have shot them all, worked on all, had all of them apart and we know for fact that you can't buy a better one for the money than a Chapuis. We regulate, re-joint, do triggers, re-barrel and hunt with and shoot a lot of double rifles. We flat know this is one tough, attractive, high precision, go to Africa and have money left for the second Buffalo type of gun. I challenge you to show me a better current double rifle for the money."

If George Caswell told you that there is nothing to ad to the discussion. I have known George for a long time. If you want it done right see George Caswell.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Stephen Goldfinch
posted Hide Post
I've had a Chapuis in .470 for years. It's been on 5 safaris and has hunted in all weather. For the price and grade, it's hard to find a prettier, more accurate, more reliable double. You won't regret it. As far as fit, it's like all other guns; if its not right, get it fitted.

"Sleep When You're Dead!"