Find
Notify
Tools

Blaser S2 500-416
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of eyeman
posted
Would like some input on a Blaser S2 in 500-416 Good for Ele? Any input would be helpful.

Paul Gulbas

Posts: 340 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Do a search in this section of the forum. You'll find a lot of pros and cans of the Blaser systems.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyeman,
I have a Blaser S2 in .470 NE and while it doesn't have the classic look of a double with the front adjustment fixture, it sure shoots. 2 shots touching at their regulation distance. I think that is 100 meters. And with factory ammo. and the 500/416 is more than enough for elephant. shoot it and be happy.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Blaser S2 in 500NE. The 500/416 will do the job but is not regarded by the cognoscenti as a stopper. ( I have a K gun in 500/416)
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Buy It
You will like it!!!
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
im not a huge fan of blaser doubles and defintly not a fan of a 416-500. i love there bolt actions but if im gonna buy another double ill buy heym they have been around a very very long time or verney carron both will make a great rifle with better balence pointability and resale value and dont have a plastic rib in the center to make you feel like you just spent 10k on a walmart pos.

i can get a brand new vc 577 double rifle for 16k a 600 nitro for just under 20k or just over with some engraving wood upgrades i can get a 500 or 470 in the 9-10k range all having better resale/retention value than the blaser

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
500/414 is a great round. Far better than .470 05 .500 for elephant.

I am no personal fan of the Blaser S2, but they usually shoot very well.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Strongly suggest you go to SCI next month and look at Blaser next to other makers guns in a similar price range.
In my experience with the Blaser double you will struggle with resale (or the resale value) if you latter decide to sell the gun.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you compare them at a show, the others will beat out the Blaser in classic looks, and handling. If you compare them at a shooting range, the Blaser will have an edge in the accuracy department. The 375 S2 I shot a few years ago, shot better than most 375 bolt guns.

There are no fleas on the 9.3s

http://www.blaserbuds.com/forum/

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As far as being a stopper, I'd put forth that a 'well place bullet' is the ultimate stopper!
Near only counts in horseshoes and tactical nuclear weapons! Big Grin

The long 400 grain .416 has always had a great reputation for being a good penetrating bullet.

If you like it buy it!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by eyeman:
Would like some input on a Blaser S2 in 500-416 Good for Ele? Any input would be helpful.

Why the 500-416 caliber? archer

Why Blaser? horse

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 700 nitro:
i can get a brand new vc 577 double rifle for 16k a 600 nitro for just under 20k or just over with some engraving wood upgrades i can get a 500 or 470 in the 9-10k range all having better resale/retention value than the blaser

While at the Dallas Safari Convention, I had a good look at Blaser and K-guns. The Heym and Verney-Carron clearly would get my money. After visiting the V-C booth, I'm more convinced my future purchases will be V-C in a double, though I could be tempted by a more expensive Heym but why?

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Eyeman
Its German made it has to be different.
Usually over engineered
Ron said his shoots well
and if they shoot as well as the R-93 and R-8 for their intended purpose you cant beat that.
At the end of the day it really dont matter how they look or where they are made its when you pull the trigger the JUmbo is down.
Bailey these guy's are going to have a field day
with my new one of a kind falling block double.
But it will because they are sad they dont have one.
Have a great year to all you AR guy's
Be easy on me NE is got me on the ropes now.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
quote:
Originally posted by eyeman:

Why the 500-416 caliber? archer

Why Blaser? horse

Because the 500/416 may be the best double rifle caliber ever and a Blaser is a great rifle!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Because the 500/416 may be the best double rifle caliber ever and a Blaser is a great rifle!

The 500/416 is one cartridge I don't understand. Granted it runs a little hotter then the competition but, if I need more thump on Jumbo I think I'd stick with an older "classic" cartridge.

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
With respect to the 500/416 Pierre van der Walt says "It was designed to deliver modern rimless cartridge, bolt action performance levels from a double rifle at go-anywhere pressure levels....Having a double that delivers in excess of 2,300 fps is remarkable. Having a double that duplicates bolt action performance is awesome". African Dangerous Game Cartridges. Sid, I can't explain it any better than that.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Very accurate and well made
Complicated mechanism, when you break one open, you'll see what I mean.
No ejectors
The BIGGEST detractor is the cocking piece that unlike the Krieghoff's you have to cock it EVERY TIME you reload.
FUGLY looking..

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7145 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well sid, the heym might hold better value than the vc but thats about it the vc is defintly a shit load of gun for the money and by far beat any american manufacture as far as quality gose by 100 country miles iv owned 2 searcy rifles a 700 nitro and a 500 nitro knowing what i know now i wouldnt buy a 700 nitro from searcy or any rifle over 577 for that matter the fit and finish of said rifle wasnt that bad but could of been alot better for the 40,000$ i spent on it(plus it didnt have ejectors)wich were asked for but didnt put in becuase he felt it was easyer. the 500 nitro i ordered from him showed up in a soft gun case(not shipped by searcy but the person he gets to blue the barrels) like a sleeve and sent thru the mail and hade rust on the end of the barrels wich i had to remove with a a jewlers pad searcy is a production shop mainly for the smaller doubles and it shows.

i will add while at the drss i was able to handle a few more searcys and his work has come along way over the past few years and they looks to be built much better he is a great guy and his service is par none he fixes anything and everything so that really helps

Posts: 2095 | Location: B.C | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't actually think the action on the Blaser is that complicated. It has a tilting block that can be removed for maintenance, such as replacing a firing pin ot a broken firing pin spring. While this doesn't happen very often, I have had it happen and always take along spares just in cast. Yes you have to cock it after opening but cocking it becomes more natural with practice. After around 750 rounds through my S2 in 470, I am used to it and it doesn't bother me. It does not have the classic look of the Searcy that I just picked up but is also very accurate and dependable. Not everybody has the big bucks for a double and the Blaser is a good starting place for lots of us. I also like the fact that the gun is not supposed to fire with the cocking lever in the uncocked position. I understand that it disconnects the firing pins. And the Service department at Blaser USA in SA is outstanding.

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
I like the 500/416. The one I shot was in a Blaser S2 and I have to say it was the most accurate double I have ever pulled the trigger on. We were shooting it at 75 to 100 yards and busting softball to basketball size rocks with irons and a docter mounted red dot sight. With the S2 you can also mount a Docter or aimpoint micro sight and take it off and on as you wish with no cutting or machine work.

That being said I do not like the decock feature on the gun. I dont think it would be a problem as most of the time you dont get more than 2 shots in a "charge" anway. Just practice! I dont like the looks of the barrels either--but in short they work. Really dont like the "look" front sight--but in short my eye "likes" the way it sights. As ugly and non-double rifle looking it is--it works. The guys in San Antonio will service you great and the tilt block action is strong. If the price is right go for it!

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote