New
Find
Notify
Tools

When to use magnum primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We are starting to work up some hunting loads with different powders and bullet weights in a new Merkel 9.3x74R. A quick search of the Federal site showed they use 210 LR primers in their factory loaded ammo for this caliber. We have these primers on hand so this is what we are starting with.

I've noticed several of the hand loads a few of the DR guy's have posted for 9.3 use the 215 Magnum primers. Can anyone explain the reason they use Mag primers over LR primers?

Rhodes
DRSS

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
To ignite the long powder column of sometimes relatively slow burning powder. You will know you need them if you get a click boom. I just always use mag primers in the 9.3 as I don't use any powder faster than 4350. Mostly.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
To keep my reloading bench as free from clutter and confusion I use LRM primers in everything. While now I shoot only low pressure double rifle cartridges I did not see any pressure problems when I shot modern magnums. I have not used a LR primer since the '80s.
Cheers,
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I use the standard F210 on the 9.3X74R.

one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
I have used CCI primers (BR2 and magnum ones) for my 265 gr GSFN loads in 9,3x74R with R903 powder:

- with BR2 and 61 gr load I got 2380 fps
- with BR2 and 60 gr load I got 2330 fps

- with MAG primers and 61 load I got 2300 fps

Recoil when using MAG primers was noticeably lower - certanly lower than what to expect for a deviation of 80 fps.

Mandatory:

1. Drive band bullet - The resistance to engraving is about a quarter of that of a smooth bullet.
2. The selection of powder/load is such that the bullet sits tight on top of the charge.

By Gerard - If you use a magnum primer the pressure from the primer igniting will move the powder charge and the bullet forwards so that, when the powder ignites, the bullet is already engaged in the rifling and you have artificially created a bigger case. As we know, the same charge in a bigger case lowers pressure.

FWIW

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
9.3X74R Federal 210s
450/400 3 inch Federal 215 Magnum Match. I use primarily Norma 203B/aka RL-15. I think you need the extra for the big cases.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the responses, some good info there. I was a little concerned about the long case.

For the first lot of testing we are using AR2209 powder and the cases are pretty full so that should help ignition.

I think we'll get some fed 215's for testing as well.

Rhodes
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Rhodes:

My Hornady Manuel (8th edition) recommends Winchester large rifle magnum primers in the 9,3X74R because of the long powder column. In addition, in Pierre van der Walt's book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges is says that "in tests conducted by and eminent local handloader, magnum primers delivered tighter groups than standard ones on most occassions." I use the Hornady data with the Winchester large rifle magnum primers and they have worked well in my little Chapuis.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave

Thanks for your reply. Fed 215's are on the list of things to try.

The batch of loads we just tested used AR2209 powder and FED 210 primers behind 284 grain bullets. The individual barrel groups weren't too bad ranging from 1.1" to 1.9" with horizontal spread between barrels. The spread between barrels was just too wide at ~8". I can't see this coming together with load development alone. This rifle was regulated for the Norma 232gr vulcan load so we may not get it to shoot 280 grainers.

This raises another question. We were getting slight keyholing at lower velocity suggesting there may not have been enough barrel twist to stabilize the longer bullets we were using. Does anyone know if Merkel used a different barrel twist in rifles regulated for the lighter 9.3 bullets?

Rhodes
DRSS

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
I have also noted that with ball or spherical double based powders magnum primers are frequently used where they might not be called for with single base tubular powders. Maybe the ball powders are harder to consistently ignite and need a hotter primer.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a good rule of thumb is a magnum primer once about 60 grains of powder is used.

Posts: 1324 | Location: Oregon rain forests | Registered: 30 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use Federal 215 mag primers in all my loads for the 9,3x74R. Mainly like Cal says I only have to stock one type primer for my double rifle loads.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote