THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    How fussy are they with different bullets in the same weight?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How fussy are they with different bullets in the same weight?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I get my Redolfi .444 Marlin double regulated with one particular bullet, say a 325gn hard cast, how likely is it that 300gn pistol bullets, or a 405gn hard cast will shoot well?

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All you can do is try it, I've had some doubles that just like one bullet and one bullet weight, I've had some that I could regulate about anything I put in them. Experiment, experiment, and let us know how this rifle shoots. I will say that cast bullets seem to be easier to regulate than jacketed bullets, but again it's quess work.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
Express, in my 8X60RS, I find that all bullet weights from 150 grains up to 200 grains will be within a usable pattern with close to full-charge handloads. I wonder if it is because the rifle is a relatively small bore size and shoots bullets much lighter than the larger bore guns.....there is not as much recoil impulse t push the barrels away from their center of gravity, and at the higher velocities, the barrel time is pretty much the same for the various bullet weights??

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If possible try loading some of your own. before spending money on reworking the barrels. The 444 is easy to set up for. A lee die set,and a scale is all you need to get started. Get a copy of Wright's (Shooting the British Double).

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
posted Hide Post
Today I tested some 300gn Sierra jacketed soft points that I jimmy rigged with .44magnum dies as I'm waiting on the .444 Marlin dies.

The surprising thing was that they shot closer together than the Remington Factory 240's the gun is supposed to be regulated for.

At 50 meters rested off my patio table the 300 grain bullets were about 1.5" apart while the Remington 240's were a terrible 4.5" apart, each barrel shooting into less than one inch.

The 300's shot 3" low with the lower, wide express sight, and about 5.5" high with the finer sencond sight. This might work out to be ok if I try the loads closer and further away.
Another funny thing was that the 300's remained the same distance apart with all three powder does - 48gn H4895, 50gn H4895 & 52gn H4895, just going up in height by about 1.5" with each step.

Obviously some tuning is needed, but I feel confident I can get it right with a few more tests.

...I feel sorry for people who don't drink.
When they wake up they know that's as good as they're going to feel all day.

Posts: 2283 | Location: Aussie in Italy | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote