THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    500 BPE Army Navy, thoughts?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

500 BPE Army Navy, thoughts?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to a gun show today, and saw an Army Navy 500 BPE hammerless rifle. It looks for all the world like a hammerless top lever nitro express rifle, without the nitro proof marks. The guy wants $6000 for it. Condition was very nice, the barrels have surly been re-blacked, bores look nice, and the wood is pretty clean.
I've heard of these things being re-proofed for nitro, if that's doable, it could be a pretty nice rifle for the money. Has anyone done this? Is this a fool's errand, or a reasonable thing to do? Where would this be done, what might it cost?
In other words, I liked the rifle, and am looking for an excuse to consider buying it. How does $6000 sound for a rifle like this?

Posts: 1981 | Location: South Dakota | Registered: 22 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
I would pay $6000 for a 500BPE no problem,but I would not try to re-proof it for a nitro,you would be risking your health and your money,BTW the 500BPE is a pretty potent cartridge.

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It can be shot wit NfB loads of smokless too. Mine works fine with it.
Just don't expect to be a full nitro for a cheap price.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This would be a fine gun for hunting anything other than big dangerous game. Elephant, buffalo and Rhino. Actually with the right bullet it would kill these with no problem. Nitro For Black loads with 350 to 450 grain bullets have plenty of power for any North American game. Fun guns to shoot and light weight compared to full nitro guns.
Don't have it reproofed or shoot heavy loads in it. Its sad to see a beautiful old gun ruined by someone wanting more power.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
If you like it and it fits you - Buy it! The 500BPE will take care of anything in almost any situation - It's a thumper for sure.

Good advice above, don't try to get it re-proofed; just buy it and enjoy...

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
If you pass send me a pm where it's available Smiler

Seriously, if in good condition then grab it. DO NOT try and make it a nitro gun. Enjoy it for what it is, a classic rifle in a great caliber suitable for anything less than the big 5.

Couple things though...make sure it's not a nitro gun. The nitro proof mark didn't come out until 1904. What do the proof marks say? It may be a pre 1904 gun prooved for nitro and if so it would say "80 grs cordite 520 gr bullet maxm".

Marks other than that would indicate a bpe or nitro for black rifle.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Some one fill me in on Army Navy doubles. Where were they made?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37879 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Army Navy was the retailer. The ones I've seen were trade made w/o any one maker. Made in England.

FYI there is a 450 #2 Army Navy available here locally.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little more info on the Army Navy brand: The English military members organized Army Navy CSL Limited sometime in the 1870's (don't hold me to the exact timeframe) so the soldiers & sailors could make group purchases of liquor & guns - a buying club if you will. They'd sometimes make bulk purchases and, in the case of firearms would contract whoever would give them the best value for their buck. The organization lasted until sometime in the mid-1930's. Lots of fine Army Navy guns & rifles out there - I own two myself.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Army & Navy records are available (or were a few years back) from the University of Glasgow. For a fee (about $40.00 or there abouts) they will research your rifle. There is a form to fill out with payment on their website.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here is their contact information for the Army & Navy records at the University of Glasgow:

www.archives.gla.ac.uk For 23.50 GBP they will send you the daybook/sales register entry. When I sent in my serial number they were kind enough to tell me the name of the individual who purchased the rifle, the cost and date of purchase. The 23.50 GBP gets you a photocopy of the ledger entry for that day. Nice service. Their phone number is +44 (0) 141-370-5515.

Dutch

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
Some one fill me in on Army Navy doubles. Where were they made?

I've seen Army Navy guns made by Webley, Westley, Osborne and probably a few others. You'll need to look at each gun on its own merits. Many of them are fine guns and rifles.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The old BP guns are off the charts fun to shoot.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Dutch44

What other makers records are there too?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote: