Find
Notify
Tools

Berdan Primer Source ?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted
Anybody know of a source for Berdan primers in the States???

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good luck.

Grafs used to carry them, but I have not seen any there for a while.

Last I heard, some guy on Gunbroker was selling some, but I am not sure in what sizes. If they are from Russia, there is a decent chance they are corrosive.

I have almost no experience with berdan primers, but I do know they come in at least 3 different sizes.

I also know that you need a special decapping tool-RCBS makes one, but I do not like the design in which you basically pry the primer out from one side of the case. The better method seems to be to get some tubing with a plunger and rig up a device that uses water pressure to pop the primer.

And finally, if you are dealing with casings from fired ammunition, some cartridges will have crimped primer pockets. I seem to recall that there is another tool to decap crimped primer pockets.

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Graeme Wrights book has a pic of a Berdan decapping tool.

I think RWS MAY make Berdan Primers.

I believe Shotgun primers can / have been used
as a substitute.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
there are some on gun broker right now

2000 and 5000 count

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i've got a few hundred stashed away in a drawer someplace that fit my old 450 3 1/4" if you need some

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote