New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most economical double?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
So which caliber in a large bore double rifle is the most economical? A cartridge that the components wo'nt require a second mortgage. Would a 450/400 be a good choice? I would want something that can stop an elephant but also be used on the smaller species without feeling "overgunned in the extreme".

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say a 450NE.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Sam is right the 450NE would be a good choice, and is quite capable of handling elephant and is fine for most plains game at 100 to 150 yds if you know your rifle. However the 450/400NE 3 inch or the 500/416K are quite capable as well without being too expensive to shoot. Fairly low recoil of the 450/400NE 3 inch makes it very easy to shoot well, and for the hand-loader it is a real pleasure to load, and economical as well. It is not quite as suitable for elephant as the 450NE but is adequate for that purpose.

Though the 500/416K is a good cartridge I personally have never been able to warm up to the various .416 cartridges so have no personal experience with them other than shooting them some with rifles belonging to others. I have owned several 450NE doubles and three different 450/400Ne doubles. I consider either of these chamberings just about perfect for cape buffalo, and both are fine all around double rifle chamberings.

The various chamberings from 470NE and like chamberings all about the same as far as ballistics goes are all adequate for anything you are likely to encounter. The 470NE is the most popular of this group, but is actually no better than any of them. From there we go to the 500NE and is a big jump in more ways than one over all the previously mentioned, but is not as versatile as those in the mid range of the caliber range below it. However the 500NE double would be my choice if I wanted to hunt a lot of elephant. Anything larger than the 500NE begins to get into the HEAVY category, that really doesn’t interest me at all, but they are there if anyone wants them!
........................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually there is not that much difference in the price of reloading the larger bore double rifle cartridges from 400 to 500.

Since Hornady now loads for the 450/400 3", and makes 450/400 3 1/4" brass, and loads for the 450 3 1/4", 470, and 500 Nitro, they are the best choices.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
However, I must say, that if a cape buff, elephant, or a wild banshee, is bearing down on you, the price of your ammo, or the price of your double rifle, will be the last thing you think about.

I speak with a "little" experience on this matter...

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
However, I must say, that if a cape buff, elephant, or a wild banshee, is bearing down on you, the price of your ammo, or the price of your double rifle, will be the last thing you think about.

I speak with a "little" experience on this matter...

I don't doubt that for one minute. I would hope to practice a lot so that I would be very comfortable and familiar with the rifle for just that kind of moment.

Posts: 766 | Location: Tallahassee, FL | Registered: 11 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of nitro450exp
posted Hide Post
Hello,

450 NE followed by 470 NE.
450 uses the readilly available and cheap 0.458" Bullet (45-70 etc)
The 470 is most popular and therfore ammo and components are relatively cheap 0.475" pistol bullets make cheap plinkers.
Both can be stoked with lead GC bullets.
Both are thirsty on the powder, unless 5744 is used in a BP or reduced load.
Brass is an issue since the demise of Jameison Brass, whose quality was so so but relatively priced.

My 2c
Nitro

"Man is a predator or at least those of us that kill and eat our own meat are. The rest are scavengers, eating what others kill for them." Hugh Randall
DRSS, BASA
470 Krieghoff, 45-70 inserts, 12 ga paradox, 20 ga DR Simson/Schimmel, 12 ga DR O/U Famars, 12 ga DR SXS Greener

Posts: 813 | Location: USA / RSA | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
But Jamison is "supposed " to be back in business soon sans one partner.

Hornady builds some very nice brass until then.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most economical double rifle?

The one you never buy in the first place it will save you tens of thousands of dollars in long run. Save yourself, let logic rule, doubles are a disease and the only cure are more and more rifles and expensive hunts.

Just say no! Wink

One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
Any of the popular calibers mentioned here will work for you,there might be a penny saved here and there between them,not really enough to justify one over the other,I would recommend buying a DR in a caliber that just appeals to you the most and if possible shoot some rifles,if you are a reloaded,you will figure out how to shoot and practice with cast or hand gun bullets e.t.c to keep cost down.

DRSS

Posts: 2281 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
470NE $10+ per bang
458 Win Mag, for all practical purposes the same thing, $4- per bang.

The "Flanged" argument is theoretical. You never hear bolt rifle people arguing that flanged ammo is de rigeur. If you are worried about extraction, get a Heym, it has dual claws.

Russ Gould - Whitworth Arms LLC
BigfiveHQ.com, Large Calibers and African Safaris
Doublegunhq.com, Fine English, American and German Double Rifles and Shotguns
VH2Q.com, Varmint Rifles and Gear

Posts: 2932 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ Gould:
470NE $10+ per bang
458 Win Mag, for all practical purposes the same thing, $4- per bang.

The "Flanged" argument is theoretical. You never hear bolt rifle people arguing that flanged ammo is de rigeur. If you are worried about extraction, get a Heym, it has dual claws.

I load and shoot for the 500NE. I usually get about 10 shots from my brass and I pay about $3.60 per brass cartridge IIRC. Spread over 10 shots that's $0.36 cents per shot for the brass.

Shooting the CEB bullets at $36 per 18, that's $2 each. Maybe $0.75 each for powder and primer and I'm shooting a Big Bore double with premium bullets for about $3.11 per bang. $62 for a box of 20 and again, a much better, more reliable bullet than the least expensive factory ammo.

Reloading is the only way for me to shoot big bore doubles, or bolt actions for that matter, enough to stay proficient with them.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Hornady's .450/.400 ammo is pretty cheap. If I really wanted to reload and could find the rifle, bullet mould and some cheap lead, I'd like a .577 NfB. Though Baker found the .577BPE good for most big game, it's energy (and presumably recoil in the NfB) are roughly the same as the .400.

Posts: 5095 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Hornady's .450/.400 ammo is pretty cheap.

You said it. Pretty cheap stuff. Couldn't agree more!