New
Find
Notify
Tools

I finally did it.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
If one measures a good Christmas in possessions that you come away with, I guess this is one of those. A friend of mine called me on Wednesday from CA and said that while he was buying a shotgun from one of his favorite gunshops in CA that a DR had come in and told me what he thought it was. After a couple of phone calls, it was determined to be a Searcy Double in .470 with full engraving. After a phone call to Butch, he told me that it was the buy of a lifetime and so now I am in the process of waiting for it to ship. I have lusted after (can you lust after a rifle?) one of his rifles for years and now it looks like I am the proud owner of one of his fine rifles. Merry Christmas to me!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
If one measures a good Christmas in possessions that you come away with, I guess this is one of those. A friend of mine called me on Wednesday from CA and said that while he was buying a shotgun from one of his favorite gunshops in CA that a DR had come in and told me what he thought it was. After a couple of phone calls, it was determined to be a Searcy Double in .470 with full engraving. After a phone call to Butch, he told me that it was the buy of a lifetime and so now I am in the process of waiting for it to ship. I have lusted after (can you lust after a rifle?) one of his rifles for years and now it looks like I am the proud owner of one of his fine rifles. Merry Christmas to me!

Congratulations Pagosa! beer

You will find the maker of that rifle is a stand-up guy if there ever was one, and I have never seen one of his rifles that wasn't very accurate. When you get it call Butch,with the seral number and ask for the load it was regulated with. He ususally can tell you from his records the exact load.
I have a feeling the black bear and elk in Colorado are not going to like that rifle! Big Grin

Welcome to the DRSS www.doublerifleshooterssociety.com

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great! And yes...you certainly can lust after a rifle!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:
(can you lust after a rifle?)

OH MAN, CAN YOU EVER!!! My problem is that I am seriously IN LUST with several rifles at a time. And for some strange reason, obtaining one of them doesn't seem to cure the malady. I just find another to lust after as well!!

Merry Christmas.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
(can you lust after a rifle?) [/QUOTE]

OH MAN, CAN YOU EVER!!!

Yep - I am definitely a poligamist when it comes to double rifles, and I lust after every one of them (4 in hand, 2 on the way!).

Well done Pagosa - I love my 3 Searcy's, and you will find Butch's service second to none.
Mangwana

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I thought I was doing something un-natural. And I have already talked to Butch. I may have gotten off on the wrong foot with him because I was a smart ass on the initial end of the phone call. He is such a nice gentleman. I hope he will forgive me but he has already given me the regulation load for what he said was the regulation load for All his .470 Doubles.
This will be the second .470 in a double that I have. May have the wood refinished as it is used but Jeff Walmsley in Kearny, NE will make it just as new and make all the user marks go away.
Admiral, I am not in your league and probably never will be. I'm finally getting to the point that some of the guns in my safe will have to make room for the additions. 6 double rifles? One more and you'll have one for every day of the week.
Merry Christmas to all

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
With a couple more years you'll have more of them too. I know... (but my wife doesn't) Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Pagosa - do not sell yourself short. I would be proud to share a mopane fire with you anytime, anywhere.
Dave Antanitus
Rear Admiral, USN (ret0

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admiral,
I have extended my home to you if you ever get my way already, sir! Perhaps, one day, we shall share a campfire (mopane or ponderosa pine) and it would be memorable. Hell, My gun collection is worth more than my house. This makes 2 doubles for me but both are in the .470 NE cal. Am so looking forward to getting this rifle in. It is fully engraved and has experience in Africa.
Won't be able to get it back soon enough.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Please post photos when you have it in hand. I think a lot of us would like to see it.
Mangwana

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am so technologically challenged, I will have to have someone walk me through posting pictures but I will certainly try. This one is supposed to be gorgeous! 2 Lions on one side, an Elephant on either the bottom or Cape Buffalo on the other side. Can't wait. Jim, where I bought it said that I better have a diaper on when I opened it.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
I hope it shoots great for you.

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an original field grade. I acquired it used but in nearly perfect shape. Butch was very helpful indeed. He asked for the serial number and then provided the regulation loading data. Turns out mine was regulated for 500 Woodleighs at 2250 fps.

Front trigger was a bit light ... he reset the trigger pull and inspected the rifle at no cost beyond shipping. Great support of his product!

A very fine guy and builder of lovely guns.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I originally said, I have lusted after one of his doubles for years. Can't believe the deal I got on this one. Butch said to write the check and never look back. I did. I have met Butch, and of course, as many people as he has met and talked to I didn't expect him to remember me and he didn't. He was very helpful and said that his load for the .470 was a standard oad and provided it. Now, I have to make the rifle shoot with other than Woodleighs and I bet it won't be a problem.
Mstarling, is the 2250 with a .470 and his load data? If it is, I won't have to look any further. Excited is an understatement.
Merry Christmas to all!!!