Find
Notify
Tools

WTB Merkel 500NE
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted
Looking for a 5 finger discount on a good Merkel 500NE!! I need more horsepower, these Mississippi feral hogs are tough! jumping

Double Rifle Shooters Society

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
If that's not enough I saw a 105mm howitzer in front of the local natl. Guard that they don't seem to use Wink.... But it's not a double barreled rifle..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
. . . now you're on the right track. A caliber that will get the job done, period.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill73
posted Hide Post
how about a sherman tank,there's one at the local legion BOOM

DRSS

Posts: 2282 | Location: MI | Registered: 20 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tell the TRUTH, you only want that 500 to shoot trees in Texas.

I am on the phone to the Arbor Society now.

They WILL be looking for you at the Border. Big Grin

For those of you that do not know Missippian, he is a BIG O' BOY, and if ANYBODY could handle a 500 Double it would be him. Big Grin

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
MORE bigger is MORE better! Right!? Had a hog soak up a 500 grainer from my 470(died in his tracks but thats beside the point!!) an "elephant gun" should blow right through a feral hog! Right!!! jumping Just looking for something else to play with! The 500 seemed to be the next logical step! Big Grin

Posts: 1094 | Location: Yazoo City, Mississippi | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Looking for a Merkel 9.3 as well BOOM, we got some big squirrels around here!! shocker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mississippian

Since you have a 470, you should go to directly to a 577 NE.

Just how big a Boy are You??? As the Comedy skit goes... Big Grin

Trust me, you are plenty "BIG" enough. thumb

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
G"Day Mate
Have a look on gunsinternation.com Tom who is an AR member has a few for sale with ejectors light scoll engraving for $8500.oo and change

Posts: 896 | Location: Langwarrin,Australia | Registered: 06 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Tony, The 577 definately is a cool round no doubt but I would be getting into some serious money! Im not rich like Paul Jr & Sr! Big Grin sofa Iza jus a po redneck in Mississippi! hilbily

zhaba, I think Tom has about the best price going on new rifles. I would like to find a used one to save some $$. An extractor gun would be fine with me! Gents, keep your eyes peeled!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mississippi, Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) most vendors sell used Merkel doubles for more than Tom O sell them for new. He told me he can't replace them now for what he's selling them for, but got these at a better price back when. Go for it.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
come to the shoot in Houston next month and I will let you shoot my 505 and 550 Gibbs. Bolt guns true, but I think one shot with either will take care of your problem.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry to inform you but Merkels are far to light for the caliber you want! Buy another brand that is around 12 pounds.

Posts: 58 | Location: Chile | Registered: 07 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Rich, Thanks for the offer! I was gonna try and make the Houston shoot! Not holding my breath though, We are usually busy around that time. I have an AHR 600 OK that will most certainly kill,field dress,skin and smoke a hog in one shot but at the moment Im really enjoying the Double! Actually gonna sell the 600 to help finance the new double! sofa

Bookman, Merkels light for caliber?? Im glad you told me that! This will make my daily walk with the 470 soooo much easier! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
you might want to rethink the 9.3 for squirrel they can be mean if you fail to stop the charge, I would 40 and up to be safe

Posts: 243 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 06 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a 9.3 Merkel that I would be willing to sell. I will send information to your email address. If that is OK.

Posts: 892 | Location: Central North Carolina | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
El scarboro, please send info to my email! Thank you!

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bookman:
Sorry to inform you but Merkels are far to light for the caliber you want! Buy another brand that is around 12 pounds.

+1 thumb

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel 140-2.1 in the .500NE. If you truly want to have some fun load 525 grain cast bullets in front of 38 grains XMP5744 and shoot some jack rabbits. Some explode, some just get a quick pass through. In any event--great fun.

Watch for lead fouling, mine will start showing after 25-30 shots.

Your hog idea is great. Barnes Triple Shock will open and petal out after penetrating about 1.5" meat then leave a real wound channel.

Again watch for the copper fouling. Clean it before it accumulates very much.

Cheers,
Jerry

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a .500, it was a handful, I like the .470 better.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
cabala's in Baton Rouge Louisiana has one I think for 11 k.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

one of us
Picture of byf42
posted Hide Post
who is Tom? he is selling new merkels, correct?

*We Band of 45-70er's*

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Posts: 497 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bookman:

The Merkels .500s are really light for caliber. So are the Krieghoffs. The Blaser S2 goes for $8000 and it will be between 11-12 pounds.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Miss...a guy I've done some trades with has one he's looking to unload. If you PM me your email, I'll see if I can hook you 2 up...Biebs

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up the road from you in Memphis there has been one recently at Guns & Ammo on Summer Ave. I think it is/was about $9K.

I've looked at it, but really prefer something crew operated...

posted Hide Post
My 500 is 10 1/2lbs. I shoot 570gr @ 2150 and it isn't bad at all to shoot. I can put 20 through it no problem at all. You do know when you pulled the trigger but I wouldn't want one that weighted over eleven pounds. BTW I'm only 5'9'' 165 but I have heard that recoil is easier on us light guys. Couldn't say for sure though.

Posts: 16 | Location: Northern Kalifornia | Registered: 28 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'VE SOLD A LOT OF MERKEL 500 DOUBLES AND NEVER A COMPLAINT ABOUT THEM BEING TOO LIGHT.

THE " HEAVY WEIGHT GUYS" SEEM TO GO OVERBOARD THINKING YOU NEED ALL THAT EXTRA WEIGHT. IF YOU LIKE A HEAVY RIFLE PUT A MERCURY RECOIL REDUCER IN THE BUTT. OR GET ONE WITH 30" BARRELS.

I HAD A SEARCY 577 THAT WEIGHED ONLY 10 1/2 #
THE " AUTHORITIES " AND "KNOW IT ALLS " TOLD ME IT WAS TOO LIGHT AND WOULD BEAT ME UP TERRIBLY. WELL THEY WERE COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT THEY DON'T WANT TO BE CONFUSED BY THE FACTS OR THE REALITIES. THEY NEVER SAW THE RIFLE OR SHOT IT BUT THEY KNEW ALL ABOUT IT. FIGURE THAT ONE OUT.

I AM BACKORDERING MERKEL 500 DOUBLE RIFLES NOW AS THEY ARE OUT OF STOCK. PRICE ON AN EJECTOR, SCROLL ENGRAVED RIFLE IS $8,600. FOR A GAME SCENE ENGRAVED ONE IT IS $9,600. PLUS $50 SHIPPING & INSURANCE.

IF YOU WANT A NEW RIFLE PLEASE CONTACT ME TO GET ON THE LIST. WE SHOULD HAVE THEM IN THE BEGINNING OF JANUARY, SAME FOR THE LONG AWAITED 450 / 400 3" RIFLES. TOM
FTONDRUS@HOTMAIL.COM 814 859 0008

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ftondrus:
IF YOU WANT A NEW RIFLE PLEASE CONTACT ME TO GET ON THE LIST. WE SHOULD HAVE THEM IN THE BEGINNING OF JANUARY, SAME FOR THE LONG AWAITED 450 / 400 3" RIFLES. TOM
FTONDRUS@HOTMAIL.COM 814 859 0008

TOM is this a Merkel you are talking about, chambeered for 450/400NE 3", if so can you list some of the stats for the 450/400NE 3" rifle? Such as weight, barrels length, and type of sights available?

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450-400 Merkel....great!

One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
Mississippian,
I have both and I think you shot them both a few years back in Brady. I wouldn't trade them for love or money now that I have taken both to Namibia and Zimbabwe and ventilated leopard and buffalo with them. To me they are the perfect all around battery for squirrels and hogs.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tom's prices for the Merkels beat everything available on the Internet - if I were going for a new one, he'd be my pick.

.470 & 9.3X74R Chapuis'
Tikka O/U 9.3X74R
Searcy Classics 450/.400 3" & .577
C&H .375 2 1/2"
Krieghoff .500 NE
Member Dallas Safari Club

Posts: 1587 | Location: Eleanor, West Virginia (USA) | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I have seen Tom’s prices on the various internet sites. I agree he seems to be willing to sell them at a lower price than most. Having said this I recommend anyone planning to do business with him should do a little research on this forum and on Nitro Express to fully understand his character. I personally know multiple people who have had business dealing with Tom and still regret it to this day.

A recent post from Butch Searcy on Nitro express regarding a Searcy 577 that Tom once owned

“jblok, as I'm sure Tom told you that rifle was to be traded to the PH for a tuskless elephant hunt. What he didn't tell you I'm sure was he had a problem with the rifle two years prior to the hunt. He made me aware of this and I told him to send it back for repair. He never did, but instead chose to try and trade it for a hunt.”

Another regarding the same rifle. This one is from a gunsmith who worked on the rifle.

“I hope the 577 that Ondrus had has made its way to Butch. I just came upon this thread. He had a friend of mine, and I restock this rifle. On the cheap. Nice wood,but would only pay pennies for the work. Then complained when it was done.
He argued with me about the proper way to fire a double rifle. Yes he was a "harp Player" two fingers in the trigger guard. No wonder it doubled, as he pulled them both at the same time.
I have pictures of the rifle, as we were working on it. That way I am covered, as far as telling people I did the work for him. It took me a long time to do the job, with a razor, and marking ink to inlet. Chisels, and sandpaper, for the forming of the outside of the stock. Not a bad job for someone that never stocked a Double Rifle before. I turned down the job, but my friend, who did not know I had turned it down, accepted it. Then I was stuck. We took the gun to him in Ohio as he was in a hurry to get it,spent 100 dollars on gas,ect traveling from Pa. and he never paid us for the service of delivering it special for him. I think he paid my friend 200 dollars for the job. It took 3 months to do.
He told me that the stock was broken in Africa, and needed repaired. I wondered how it got broken. Butches guns are made like tanks.
I spoke to Butch about this. So he is familiar with the ordeal”

Just a few of may examples that can be found with a little research. For the record I have met Tom but have never done business with him and therefore cannot offer any personal experiences.
Let the buyer beware!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think he has a booth at DSC this year. You might be able to buy one then. You don't have to like him (and many don't), but he is the cheapest, and a NIB Merkel is not likely to have any issues.

BUTCH

C'est Tout Bon
(It is all good)

Posts: 1929 | Location: Lafayette, LA | Registered: 05 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
I must wonder...when Tom was shooting the 10 1/2# .577 with managable recoil, was it with reduced loads, shooting from a sled, mounted to his scooter? clap

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mississippian, I was at Guns & Ammo in Memphis today and looked again at the Merkel 500 NE I mentioned earlier here. The asking price is $9,399. TN's sales tax is real high, but since you're out of state that shouldn't be a problem.

It's an engraved Model 140-2 and the barrels are 23 1/2" muzzle to breech. It has the Greener cross bolt and appears to be a triple lock up. It's nice looking, but frankly I found the stock about an inch too short for me..I'm 6-2. I probably would like it a little roomier in the comb area too and maybe with more meat in the grip. The pistol grip cap appears plastic not steel. The forearm is slender like older guns where you are basically holding the barrels in your hand. I'd want a fuller forearm, for what that's worth. It has a rubber recoil pad but it's not the thick substantial kind like on my .416 Mauser. The sales guy didn't know if it had mercury recoil reduction.

It does have the square knob at the end of the barrels between the muzzles, which I'm told is for barrel regulation. Others here know a lot more about that.

I meant to see if the front trigger was articulated, but forgot. And the weight, I think you already know about.

Anyway, it's still there. Hope that helps..

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Shack, Thanks for the report. My mother lives near Memphis and I was gonna stop by and give it a look next time I am in town. There is one at Classic arms near Wolfchase as well. The dealer in Jackson has quoted a price within change of Tomos price and said I could go to GSI and pick it out. I may just take him up on that deal when I get an opportunity and GSI gets some 500's in stock!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mississippian:
Looking for a Merkel 9.3 as well BOOM, we got some big squirrels around here!! shocker

Are you sure that a 9.3 is enough against a squirrel?? Tough guy eh? Don't take any risks with BIG game. Use enuff gun! I wouldn't try anything smaller than a 470 NE agianst squirrels!!
Hans (the fearless squirrel hunter)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have purchased thousands of Dollars of products from TOM and he was great to deal with. No guns but Gun cases. Just my 2 cents.
He is a wheeler dealer.HA HA
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mississippian, I was at Guns & Ammo again today and that Merkel was still there, but guess what? They've dropped the price to $7,999.00.

Don't know how that compares with elsewhere..

One of Us
Picture of Mississippian
posted Hide Post
Thats a good deal! I have already picked up a nice used one with accessories from a forum member so Im set! Thank you for the heads up though!