THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    For those with a Chapuis 9.3x74R ....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

For those with a Chapuis 9.3x74R ....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What does it weigh? Can you all post some pics so I can get a look at a real rifle rather than an ad? Thanks

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question also. When you move the lever to break open the action, can you move it in either direction to open?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
no

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Ask and ye shall receive. Weighs 8 pounds with the scope and mounts.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a nice looking rifle. Is that the standard UGEX wood and engraving and are those the Reckhagel scope mounts?

The warthog tusks are the perfect thing to use for propping up the rifle for pictures.

I just talked to Dale and it looks like I will be ordering one for myself.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is the UGEX with standard wood and engraving. Yes, those are the Reckhegal mounts. And yes, it shoots as good as it looks. Smiler

You will love it, points like a .410 shotgun.

Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It looks like you push the lever (for lack of a better word)to the left to open up the action?
I am curious as I hope to order one with a left handed stock.
Can any left handers offer an opion of how easy they are to handle?
How much for the scope mount? Factory option?

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Great wood on that rifle!

SCI Life Member
DSC Life Member

Posts: 2018 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 20 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
The only thing I hate about Chapuis rifles in the forend.

It's almost ask bad as a Mexican Rigby IMO.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Different strokes for different folks. I much prefer the beavertail forearms on the Chapuis and the Heym to the standard forearms on the Merkel.

Base and rings were extra -- and believe me Chapuis is damn proud of the rings and bases. It is ridiculous what they get for those.

Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
SNOWWOLF -- The 4th photo shows the position of the top lever when the action is "open" not closed.

When the rifle is closed and ready to fire, the top lever will basically be in the center position -- usually just a little to the right when new so that it moves toward the center as it is used --- some call it "wearing in".

OH....the price on the Recknael mounts and rings is, I beleive about $350. Not inexpensive but a bargain compared to what many charge for good mounts for a double rifle.
http://www.recknagel.de/

DB Bill aka Bill George

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's #4 with some markings to help. The white line is the approximate position of the top lever when closed.....move it to the right as the red arrow shows to open it.

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I admit I have never even handled a double rifle before. But it seems like the lever and the opening process was designed for a left handed person.
I pull the trigger with the fingers on my left hand then push the lever to the right with my thumb to open the action.
Can any lefties comment on using one of these?
Do you guys who own one already think it needs a Deceralator pad installed at the factory ($120 option)?
Sorry for all the questions but this is a good deal of money for me to consider spending on this.

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might go to a sporting goods store and take a look at either a side-by-side or over/under shotgun as they open the same way as a double rifle. I would think it would be very awkward to do it the way you mentioned ..... I know Craig Boddington is left-handed but I don't recall him mentioning in any of his articles any adjustments he made.

DB Bill aka Bill George

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good advice. I didnt even give that a thought. Thanks

one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 577NitroExpress:
The only thing I hate about Chapuis rifles in the forend.

It's almost ask bad as a Mexican Rigby IMO.

Just talked to Dale this pm. Splinter forends ARE an option.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote