New
Find
Notify
Tools

Interesting Double
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 20141 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It is a lovely rifle, but one to stay away from.

The stresses to the steel of an action that has been re-color case hardened are significant. If this double rifle has not been re-proofed after the color case hardened took place then one needs to assume there can be a potential dangerous episode waiting to happen. I see no re-proof marks on the barrels and from the little I can see of the action flats, no re-proof marks there. Both London and Birmingham proof houses have their individual "R" proof marks for re-proof.

Some case hardening firms (such as the one in New York) can produce case hardening like colors without raising the temperatures of the steel to the transformation stage and beyond, however questions of steel integrity are still there, and of course the process leaves the steel unhardened.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
Beautiful rifle.

Is that built on a Webley action or the usual Turner made Jeffery?

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
It is a lovely rifle, but one to stay away from.

The stresses to the steel of an action that has been re-color case hardened are significant. If this double rifle has not been re-proofed after the color case hardened took place then one needs to assume there can be a potential dangerous episode waiting to happen. I see no re-proof marks on the barrels and from the little I can see of the action flats, no re-proof marks there. Both London and Birmingham proof houses have their individual "R" proof marks for re-proof.

Some case hardening firms (such as the one in New York) can produce case hardening like colors without raising the temperatures of the steel to the transformation stage and beyond, however questions of steel integrity are still there, and of course the process leaves the steel unhardened.

Where does it say it has been re color casehardened.

Would be a nice classic to own.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
It's been completely redone--wood, barrel blacking and the case coloring.
In today's market, for the refinish (without knowing who did it) and the caliber it is quite over priced.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
At least it's got a doll's head Confused

Posts: 5018 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think that it's over priced for what it is and, of course, critical to what it is is bore condition.

In forty years in this game I've never heard of a gun being required to be subject to re-proof after being re-colour case hardened by the traditional method.

But you live and learn...

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I know of a London Sporting Park (Webley) 450/400 3.25inch in very good condition for less than that rifle. In the US too.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11020 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I think that it's over priced for what it is and, of course, critical to what it is is bore condition.

In forty years in this game I've never heard of a gun being required to be subject to re-proof after being re-colour case hardened by the traditional method.

Enfield;

I have always just assumed that reproof was required in UK, but after your statement of your 40 years of experience there in the UK, I am not certain that the reproof is required and your question brought it to mind that I should ask a couple of people I know. I sent an email to a friend here in the USA, gun and shooting author Douglas Tate (late of Birmingham UK) and asked him what he knew on the subject, and he responded just now that he had St. Ledger re-case harden some actions for him in the past and Douglas did not have to have them reproved. Douglas went on to say that he thought that it would be a good idea to have them reproved. You probably know Douglas from his writings published in the UK. He wrote an article in "The Field" some time back on color case hardening. It is a very interesting article and I have a .pdf file of it that Douglas just sent me for anyone that would like to read the article--just send me a PM with your email address and I will send it to you.

Secondly I sent a email to another friend of mine in Birmingham, Malcolm Cruxton who has been in the trade nearly 60 years and still in his shop in Price Street, Birmingham. I asked Malcolm if reproving is required. I hope to hear from Malcolm in a couple of days. I was going to send an email to the Birmingham proof master but I cannot find an email address. I remember back in 2002 when I was living in the UK that Malcolm was opposed to having a gun action re-case hardened. I suspect his opposition was as a result of "negative reinforcement" experience.

It may be that reproving is not required, but it just seems intuitive to me that raising the temperature of a gun or rifle action to near 1500 degrees F and then submersing the action into cold water would produce concerns at the proof house. It is well known that doing this on occasions warps and cracks actions. However, it appears from what Douglas Tate said today that I am wrong in my assumption that actions have to re-proofed.

I can only say that for my part I would not re-case harden a double rifle action without having it re-proved before I sold it (just to limit my liability), especially with a high velocity cartridge like the Jeffery .333 flanged (I assume it the flanged one for this rifle)

But as you said I "live and learn" and also admit my mistakes.
Maybe you can telephone the proof master at Birmingham or London and find out the answer.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Deduct $12k to a new set of barrels. The sights and rip can be use again...But most barrelmakers would make up a new rip with dollshead.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know malcolm well enough that for the last twenty years he's worked on one or two of my own guns. The last was to shorten the stock on my Boss and put an extension pad on a Belgian BLNE that I've bought as a foul weather gun.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I know malcolm well enough that for the last twenty years he's worked on one or two of my own guns. The last was to shorten the stock on my Boss and put an extension pad on a Belgian BLNE that I've bought as a foul weather gun.

I received a email from Malcolm Cruxton today stating that re-proof is not necessary for re-case hardened actions.

My apologies if I have led any of you astray.
I am "gobsmacked".

one of us
posted Hide Post
Re-case hardening doesn't effect the steel of the action. They don't have the carbon equivalent to harden.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote