New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double 7x65R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any recommendations for 7x65R loads to regulate in a double rifle? I'd like to use it for deer and pigs. Thanks.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who made the double? It's surely European and should have proof marks that include the weight of the bullet it uses. If the manufacturer is still in business Call them and ask what velocity that weight of bullet regulates at. Then start working up a load.

In the event no weight of bullet is marked on your barrel flats, I'd start lower than the minimum for a 7x65 bolt rifle with a 175 gr. head and work slowly up. If you are after deer and pigs, a 140gr bullet might work, but I'd still argue for using the full bullet weight the round is designed for, the 175 grain bullet.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Who made the double? It's surely European and should have proof marks that include the weight of the bullet it uses. If the manufacturer is still in business Call them and ask what velocity that weight of bullet regulates at. Then start working up a load.

In the event no weight of bullet is marked on your barrel flats, I'd start lower than the minimum for a 7x65 bolt rifle with a 175 gr. HEAD Big Grin and work slowly up. If you are after deer and pigs, a 140gr bullet might work, but I'd still argue for using the full bullet weight the round is designed for, the 175 grain bullet.

Regards

I agree that most double rifles are regulated for the heaviest bullet usually used in the cartridge it is chambered for! The best way is to buy a box of factory ammo, and see how it shoots over a crono. If it regulates, duplicate that load! That will usually save you a lot of time, powder, primers, and bullets (HEADS) Big Grin!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of foxfire
posted Hide Post
I have a Krieghoff in 7X65R. They gave me a test target with the ammo it was regulated for. It seems the gun really doesn't shoot as well as I expected it to shoot with the factory regulated ammo. So I was on a quest to find the perfect round for the gun. I don't hand load so I bought every round available in this caliber. I had no better success. I spoke to Superior ammo who made me a "sample" box of ammo using three bullet weights available. The 175 grain Hornady that he came up with shoots as I would expect a 7X65R to shoot and I'm very happy with it's performance on deer.

No good deed goes unpunished.

Posts: 359 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:

In the event no weight of bullet is marked on your barrel flats, I'd start lower than the minimum for a 7x65 bolt rifle with a 175 gr. head and work slowly up. If you are after deer and pigs, a 140gr bullet might work, but I'd still argue for using the full bullet weight the round is designed for, the 175 grain bullet.

Regards

As I know, there are no bolt action rifles available for the 7x65R! This is a rimned cartridge, made formerly for single shots, drillings, other combinated gun and double rifles! It works at lower pressure as its rimless "sister", the rimless 7x64! All european load data for the 7x65R could be used in a double!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This rifle is a Heym imported by H&K. I have contacted Heym and am waiting for their reply. There are no markings under the barrels that would indicate bullet weight.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On a modern rifle like the Heym, there are no marks with the bullet weight on the barrel.
Congratulation to a high quality product! Is it a modell 80 or 88?

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got the info from Heym. It is an 88B regulated for RWS, KS, 10.5g. Now to check and see what that is and go from there. I would still like to hear from those with actual experience. I wonder how this rifle compares with the French and Italian competition. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The internet gram-grain converter tells us that 10.5 grams = 162 grains.

Heym makes superior double rifles. Congratulations.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The velocity with the 10,5g KS is near by 2800fps, the same like with the .280 Remington!

The Heym 88b is a very good solid double!

one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
I am still experimenting with load development in my Chapuis 7x65R which was regulate with Norma 156 grain Oryx ammunition. In my particular rifle I have found that RL-22 offers the best accuracy. I have experimented with both Hogdon and IMR 4350, and 4831. I also tried RL 19 with mixed results. When working up loads pay attention to the type of brass you are using. Norma, RWS, SB and PRVI vary greatly in internal capacity and have significant impact on load development. In terms of bullets I have experimented with Nosler Partitions, Hornady 154 grain RN and Interbond, Several of the Speer 160 grain bullets, and Woodleigh 160 grain. To date the only bullets that gave me serious problems were the Woodleigh and the 154 grain Hornady RN.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote