Find
Notify
Tools

M. Donicker double rifle?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted
Never heard of this maker. Anybody know anything?

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you close enough to Cabelas look at it? It's hammerless, so I imagine it was originally proofed for Cordite or Smokeless, but I'd take a look at the flats just to be sure. Cal and others are bound to add their experience, which is much more than mine. Good price if it's tight.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
If it is the gun at Cabela's site
It has a Belgian look in the pics

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I don't know of this maker. Where can I see pics?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have checked through all my books of UK gun and rifle makers and have not found this maker, even the most recent 3 vol set of London, Birmingham and other UK makers by Nigel Brown does not list this maker.

I can see from the photos that it is a non-ejector long action body (similar to the Greener empire grade length) with a Greener top lever works, without a visible Greener style cross bolt third fastner. Maybe it has a Holland or Purdey hidden third fastner. The action style is what is known as the cut away style in Birmingham. It has a large diameter replaceable hinge pin and extra long front lumps to support the hinge pin large size. A photo of the action flats should show what year it was proofed in as Birmingham (if it is really UK made) began using the so called "secret" year date code in 1921--the code is alpha-numeric with crossed scepters.

However, I can not imagine the amount of recoil a 7.4 pound double rifle of .450 NE caliber has. Wow!!!!!!!!!!! I hope that this is a typo and it is 9.4 pounds.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had an M Donkier SL 12 ga. Superb quality. If this rifle is anything like the shotgun I had, it is fine quality. Appears the screws are untouched.

Posts: 1176 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 04 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just did some more international research and this DR is a Belgium made firearm, not UK made as I looked for in my books earlier.

Posts: 348 | Location: South Carolina USA | Registered: 20 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
Thank all, it looks like gun oil smells. Amazed at the number of different makers.

Posts: 3534 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
Have owned five different Belgian doubles that look like this one -

All with different names on them (only one major name-Francotte)

I Suspect Francotte made all the actions

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for that link. That led me to a double rifle to drool over, that Searcy 450 #2.

Gotta go buy a lotto ticket and see if I can win $9k Smiler

Posts: 113 | Location: Hills of SW MO | Registered: 04 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:

The rifle sure looks similar to a Francotte that Champlin has on its website.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here are the details that I have on this rifle from the store at Sidney and what I could see from the photos sent.

It is a 1927 (date code J) Marcel Donickier of Liege .450 Express with nitro proof marks, and B. Plomb barrels. From the photos the face of the action looks very good as does the lumps, barrel flats. Purdey style third fastner. No striker discs.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
my guess at that weight is that it is regulated for the 365 gr light nitro loading.

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
The LOP on it is the other killer.

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I'm confused.
A nitro proved gun for lead bullets?
Certainly not a 70/480 as we know most 450 nitros.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Need to see the proof marks, I suspect a bpe or light cordite at that weight.

A nice pad will fix the LOP problem.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
Here are the details that I have on this rifle from the store at Sidney and what I could see from the photos sent.

It is a 1927 (date code J) Marcel Donickier of Liege .450 NE with nitro proof marks, and B. Plomb barrels. From the photos the face of the action looks very good as does the lumps, barrel flats. Purdey style third fastner. No striker discs.

According to Wirnsberger's "The Standard Directory of Proof Marks", p 129, the 'B. Plomb' mark indicates that the barrels were intended for plain lead (plomb) bullets. Between this mark and the weight I believe that this double was not intended for full .450 3-1/4" Nitro loads. I think skb has it right about the 365 gr light nitro or "Nitro-for-Black" loading. The corresponding Belgian proof mark for jacketed bullet use is 'B. Blindee'

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
bpeSteve;

Thanks for clarifying that B. Plomb marking.

One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Transvaal:
bpeSteve;

Thanks for clarifying that B. Plomb marking.

Just like "Sans Plomb" gasoline - meaning no lead.

Posts: 3322 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was wrong guys when I wrote that the barrel stamp stated .450 NE. I went back and looked again and it is .450 Express. The nitro proof mark used since 1924 is stamped as well as rifled barrel mark, definitive black powder proof and so forth. Sorry to take us down the wrong road. Nitro for Black as you said.

Cabelas needs to change their caliber description.

If someone wants to post the photos send me your e-mail address and I will forward them to you. I have not been able to get my Photobucket account to work properly for some time now.

one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
I'd be happy to post the photos for you, I'm curious to see the marks too. I've sent you a PM with my email address.

Posts: 973 | Location: paradise with an ocean view | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470Evans:
Need to see the proof marks, I suspect a bpe or light cordite at that weight.

A nice pad will fix the LOP problem.

I would need a "nice" 2-1/4" pad....haha

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bpesteve
posted Hide Post
Here are the pix:

One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
quote:
Originally posted by Clan_Colla:

The rifle sure looks similar to a Francotte that Champlin has on its website.

That Francotte .470 that George has is my DR that is on consignment.

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote