New
Find
Notify
Tools

Darn Tough Socks and Kuiu socks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am acquiring gear for a sheep hunt that will likely take place next fall. Therefore, I have started to acquire and upgrade my gear. Most of my clothing has been Kuiu. I have never been too much into buying high end clothing but so far, as far as I can tell, I have really liked it.

I did buy 3 or 4 pair of the Kuiu socks. My son gave me a couple of pair of the Darn tough socks as well. One pair was lighter version, the other was a little heavier (medium). I have been wearing them to work and around the house to see what I like best. I will say that so far, I like the Darn Tough socks much better. The Kuiu seem to slip between my toes. The Darn Tough socks do not do this and stay very well placed on my feet.

I do have narrow feet and in fairness to Kuiu, wider feet may be better for their socks. At this point, I will be using the Darn Tough Socks in place of the Kuiu.

Posts: 2640 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My daily 5 mile training hikes are done in Darn Tough's. I have 2 pair with more than 2,000 miles on them. No worries, no complaints.

Posts: 106 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That is good to hear!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, having done a number of mountain hunts and feet that sweat like crazy, I've found the solution for me.
A pair of silk socks and a pair of wool socks.
Keeps you warm and dry and almost guaranteed to never get a blister.
Bonus - just need two pair of wool socks and a pair of silk socks for every other day's hunt. So a 10 day hunt would be 2 wool socks and 5 pair of silk socks. Lightweight and compact.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, never heard of this.

I plan on doing several ‘training’ hikes this summer. I’ll give this a try

One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I am something of a Kuiu fan boy, and I don't like their socks or underwear.

For underwear try a brand called Saxxx. They have a sack cup that holds your jewels and keeps them away from your legs.

Posts: 7768 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big wonderful--Perhaps make a separate post titled Saxxxx underwear. f someone like me could not remember the name in a couple years then they could look it up.

Posts: 3803 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote