Find
Notify
Tools

English pilots
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted
The German air controllers at Frankfurt Airport are renowned as a short-tempered lot. They not only expect one to know one's gate parking location, but how to get there without any assistance from them. So it was with some amusement that we (a Pan Am 747) listened to the following exchange between Frankfurt ground control and a British Airways 747, call sign Speedbird 206.
Speedbird 206: 'Frankfurt, Speedbird 206 clear of active runway.'
Ground: 'Speedbird 206. Taxi to gate Alpha One-Seven.'
The BA 747 pulled onto the main taxiway and slowed to a stop.
Ground: 'Speedbird, do you not know where you are going?'
Speedbird 206: 'Stand by, Ground, I'm looking up our gate location now.'
Ground round (with quite arrogant impatience): 'Speedbird 206, have you not been to Frankfurt t before?'
Speedbird 206 (coolly): 'Yes, twice in 1944, but it was dark, -- And I didn't land

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I thought the punchline was "Because you lost the war!" rotflmo

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I first heard that about forty-five years ago.

It was funny then, and it is even funnier now...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Years ago in college here in Texas,my friend's dad came up to visit + we went over to Warlburg (small German community) to get some beer + sausage.Roy's dad says,"yeah I remember Warlburg,we bombed it."

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of londonhunter
posted Hide Post
Guys

Don't mention the war

You will upset the English ......

Posts: 1661 | Location: London | Registered: 14 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

The joke for that punchline is this.

A Lufthansa airliner is landing at an airport near Frankfurt and receiving directions to the gate. He replies in German instead of English. When chided for not using the usual English on the radio he gets irritated and says, "I'm a German pilot for a German airline at a German airport, why do I have to speak English?" A voice with a thick British accent comes online and says, "Because you lost the war!"

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Related joke, similar preamble. Female controller berates the pilot for taking a wrong turn calling him every name in the book. There is a silence in the radio traffic and another pilot breaks radio silence and says "Was I married to you once?".

Posts: 10381 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
quote:

A Lufthansa airliner is landing at an airport near Frankfurt and receiving directions to the gate. He replies in German instead of English. When chided for not using the usual English on the radio he gets irritated and says, "I'm a German pilot for a German airline at a German airport, why do I have to speak English?" A voice with a thick British accent comes online and says, "Because you lost the war!"

Ranb

Ran,

Properly told, you also need to add that the pilot was flying a Dornier 328 or other model, so on top of everything else he's flying a German plane as well. Often the joke is told using a Fokker aircraft, but Fokker is a Dutch company so you can correct anyone who tells it that way.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranb40:
quote:

Flew Lufthansa, London to Hamburg and was surprised the pilot announced our altitude in FEET. Big Grin

Grizz

Ranb

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Addendum: Tony Fokker( the designer-architect of the D7 + DR3) was not only Dutch but Jewish as well. No issue in WW1. Just for those who might care a little bit about history.And yes he had other aircraft designs as well but this makes the point of issue.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote