New
Find
Notify
Tools

A man's revelation . . .
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
We had a power outage at our house this morning. So, my PC, laptop, TV, DVD, iPad & surround sound music system were all shut down. Then I discovered that my mobile phone battery was dead and, to top it off, it was raining outside - so I couldn't go fishing or play golf.

I went into the kitchen to make coffee and then remembered this also needs power, so I just sat and talked with my wife for a couple of hours.

She seems like a nice person.

Posts: 2663 | Location: Lone Star State | Registered: 12 November 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
In 97 we had a major ice storm. No biggy for yankees but severe for here. The power lines were down so no electricity (for me 4 days,for some up to 2 weeks.)Now this was a major problem for those living in all electric homes,also even if you have a gas fired furnace you still electricity to work the fan.Well I had a wood stove + 2 Consolidated Dutchwest porcalin gas fired heaters as well I cooked with gas + the tank was full.The only snag was that the well required electricity to provide water. I fixed that the next year when I installed a generator in the well house that I had converted to propane as a back up water supply (propane does not get old like gasoline).I had installed 2 propane lights;1 over the stove + one at the top of the stairs.Other than that there were no lights after sundown.You would think that the kids had died + gone to hell because they could not play their video games. Guess what;we sat in the dark + told stories. I enjoyed it myself.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The worst power outage (years ago) I've had in western Washington state was 8 hours long. I fired up the woodstove and made spaghetti. Since then I've obtained a 3500 watt generator; I run it twice a year to make sure it is working, never had a chance to use it to power the house.

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Since we're comparing horror stories...On Feb 2, about 25 years ago, my wife and I were rudely awakened at 4 AM, by a loud explosion. I looked at the clock, and it was dead. We lived in an all-electric house, but did have a wood burning stove in the basement. So I ran down and put another log on, and opened the draft. The temp was 20 below. I spent the day stoking the fire and melting snow for us, the livestock, and the toilet. It seems a train was going over the Continental Divide and a couple of cars broke loose and rolled all the way back to Helena, hit another train, and exploded next to a sub-station. It wiped out the power for the whole town. It took over 24 hours for them to fix it.

Posts: 7 | Location: Montana | Registered: 01 November 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
People got so worked up about Hurricane Sandy, my power was out three times for a total of 53 seconds, not even long enough to be bothered to stop playing my computer game...

My computer is on it's own UPS and I can run for more than an hour....

My LED TV and cable box are also on their own Uninterruptable power supply.

My primary source of heat is a gravity fed coal stove.

My power has been out for as long as six days and in cold weather I spend a lot of time melting snow to flush the toilets

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had several power outages over the years here that lasted several days to a week.

Wood stoves, generator, kerosene lamps pond water for flushing toilet LP range.

Wife complained went and stayed with friends that had power.

I just went on living.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I talked to Wifezilla just a couple of years ago.

We'll be married 40 years next month. Murderers don't get that long.

I've been married so long that I don't even look both ways when I cross the street anymore.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12600 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote