Find
Notify
Tools

Helping the homeless
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Helping the homeless

I was walking down the street when I was accosted by a particularly dirty and shabby-looking homeless man who asked me for a couple of dollars for dinner.

I took out my wallet, extracted ten dollars and asked, "If I give you this money, will you buy some beer with it instead of dinner?"

He answered "No, I had to stop drinking years ago."

"Will you use this money to go fishing instead of buying food?" I asked.

"No, I don't waste time fishing, " the homeless man said.."I need to spend all my time trying to stay alive."

"Will you spend this on hunting equipment?" I asked.

"Are you NUTS!?" replied the homeless man. "I haven't gone hunting in 20 years!"

"Well," I said. "I'm not going to give you money. Instead, I'm going to take you home for a shower, a chance to wash your clothes and a terrific dinner cooked by my wife."

The homeless man was astounded. "Won't your wife be furious with you for doing that?"

I replied "Don't worry about that. It's important for her to see what a man looks like after he has given up drinking, fishing and hunting."

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Was accosted in Vegas, for a "donation" to some society helping poor Seniors. Told him, we don't have those in Canada. We just put them out on the ice in a little igloo and that's it. Guy went ballistic, actually believed me. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I don't know about everywhere else but Austin seems to have become the Mecca for the homeless.Just about every street corner has a begger.Brother in law works for the highway dept. + the state troopers told them they needed to collect these folks crap where they have just taken a dump.Tommy told them under no circumstances was he picking up their shit. Let the law get them to move on. There are NO bums in Georgetown just up the road. Hitchhikers either. Cops pick them up + move them past the city limits.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't have many beggars around here every once in a great while one shows up.

Now down in Yuma AZ they are around for sure.

Posts: 19432 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I don't know about everywhere else but Austin seems to have become the Mecca for the homeless.Just about every street corner has a begger.Brother in law works for the highway dept. + the state troopers told them they needed to collect these folks crap where they have just taken a dump.Tommy told them under no circumstances was he picking up their shit. Let the law get them to move on. There are NO bums in Georgetown just up the road. Hitchhikers either. Cops pick them up + move them past the city limits.

Come to california, especially Los Angeles. The entire city smells like urine.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Come to San Diego we have a Hep.A epidemic from them dowm here.

Posts: 36 | Location: Chula Vista Ca. | Registered: 12 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The joke was great! Big Grin

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yes it was. Sorry to get off track.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote