Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Hot enough for you?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
derf:

Up there in God's country, pigs are a problem? Please don't say you're getting to be like some places I won't mention that we have here in the States!

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
TOO HOT FOR ARIZONA CONVICTS ??? It's even hotter than usual in Phoenix,
116 degrees sets a new record, the Associated Press reports:
About 2,000 inmates living in a barbed-wire-surrounded tent encampment at
the Maricopa County Jail have been given permission to strip down to
their government-issued pink boxer shorts.
On Wednesday, hundreds of men wearing boxers were either curled up on
their bunk beds or chatted in the tents, which reached 138 degrees inside
the week before. Many were also swathed in wet, pink towels as sweat
collected on their chests and dripped down to their pink socks.
"It feels like we are in a furnace," said James Zanzo't, an inmate who
has lived in the tents for 1 1/2 years. "It's inhumane."

Joe Arpaio, the tough-guy sheriff who created the tent city and
long ago started making his prisoners wear pink, and eat bologna
sandwiches, is not one bit sympathetic.

He said Wednesday that he told all of the inmates: "It's 120 degrees
in Iraq and our soldiers are living in tents too, and they didn't commit
any crimes, so shut your damned mouths. "
KIND OF PUTS THINGS IN PERSPECTIVE DOESN'T IT?
YA GOTTA LOVE THIS SHERIFF...

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
I LOVE it!!!

Posts: 281 | Location: Utah | Registered: 24 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Sevens
posted Hide Post
I saw something on the Discovery channel about this jail, quite interesting. If it was my jail, I'd drop the white stripes and give them solid black clothing. We need more Wardens like this one.

Sevens

Posts: 2789 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's inhumane the way the CONVICTED CRIMINALS are being treated by sheriff Joe, making them sleep in tents and wear pink boxers in that heat. Sounds like torture, maybe we should insist on John Ashcroft's resignation! As a high ranking member of the Bush admin., isn't he ultimately responsible?

Posts: 350 | Location: state of missery/missouri | Registered: 08 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congressman (not from Arizona)Alright! Enough is enough! We can't have mistreatment of Americans on American soil! It's outrageous that Arizona allows such atrocities! I demand that US troops be sent in and martial law declared. (whisper in ear by aide) I have just heard that these people are perhaps criminals. Of course, under our system they are innocent until proven guilty and I want to say that we have the finest system of justice on earth and I want to be in the forefront of those defending these people who are only accused and not found guilty yet. (Aide whispers in ear about this being a penitentiary for convicted criminals) And I want to also add that our heroic men and women in Iraq also are doing a superb job and deserve all our thanks and gratitude.

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
I can't see how this is supposed to rehabilitate people though, which is supposed to be a responsibility of the prison system too. Maybe other people don't mind locking them up and throwing away the key but then my tax dollars have to pay for it, whereas if they learned how to get and hold a job when they were released then instead of being a tax burden they'd be paying taxes too.

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I can't see how this is supposed to rehabilitate people though, which is supposed to be a responsibility of the prison system too. Maybe other people don't mind locking them up and throwing away the key but then my tax dollars have to pay for it, whereas if they learned how to get and hold a job when they were released then instead of being a tax burden they'd be paying taxes too.

Prison is punishment for a crime. They were not sent there to learn anything, that's the job of the school system. They were sent there to be isolated from the people who do not commit crime!

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
FUCK REHABILITATING 'EM!! Do the crime, do the time, and I don't care if it's in a sweltering hot tent. Non-violent types should mandatorily have to pay back society in a "work program" like slinging shit in a pig farm or road crew (chain gang). Violent types can contimplate their belly button in permanent solitary confinement inside a maximum security facility with only concrete walls and a pisser. Lest you forget, criminals gave up their rights/freedoms/priviledges when they were caught and convicted for victimizing someone else in some way, making a VICTIM give up their rights/priviledges/freedoms. Puzzle me this, why would you want waste your precious tax dollars trying to rehabilitate some bastard who is wantonly too stupid to stay out of jail to begin with by not being a productive member of society? These asshats rather prey upon those who are. Do you seriously think that prisoner rehab programs work?? You are delusional if you do. If you want to save taxpayer money, take away prisoner comforts, i.e. TVs, gyms, basketball courts, libraries, etc and only give them bars and concrete!!!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AMEN!!!!!

Posts: 343 | Location: Dallas Texas | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk

You couldn't have said it better. If only people like you and I could run the prison system.
As far a re-hab goes, the type of prison experiance you described would be enough to make people want get thier shit together and not have to go back.

Posts: 28 | Location: Central Point OR. USA | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk for the most part I agree with you but up here in Vancouver,BC, pig farms are a touchy subject just now! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree 100%! In fact as far as I can tell this is the only country around that after you murder someone you can lay around and our tax dollars will allow you to obtain a free to you college education. Now as a hard working, tax paying citizen I am entitled to nothing. Am I missing something here?
Roadtrash

Posts: 118 | Location: Tonopah, AZ, USA | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blackhawk. Sheriff Joe Arpio has also reinstituted the chain gang. You should hear how the fucking bleeding hearts bitch, pissed and moaned about that.
Sheriff Joe politely told them to fuck off, it's his jail and he'll run it his way.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Mc
posted Hide Post
Awhile back I noticed an article trying to figure out why the prisons were so full and the crime rate was down.

I don't think the idiots ever figured out that the reason for the low crime rate was that all the criminals were locked up.

Most criminals get probation the first time. If they can't rehabiliate themselves then, then lock them up for a long while without frills.

Posts: 1450 | Location: North Georgia | Registered: 16 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gerald, Up here we have an ongoing Police investigation into a mass murder that occured on a pig farm and the perp tried to eliminate the evidence by feeding it to the pigs. I do have to wonder if the people who partook of the products from the BBQ Shack affiliated with the farm enjoyed their repast! The place was called The Picton Farm and info is undoubtably available on line. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
PETA has made a big deal of this. My tenant's 16 yr. old daughter (who was finicky at the best of times) now refuses to eat pork at all. She believes that the remains were mixed in with the pig meat, then sold. Even though the truth is pretty much as gruesome a thought (though it has been "processed").

I had the same thought after Flight 800? went down in Peggy's Cove. Didn't relish the idea of eating lobster or shrimp from that area.

On a lighter note, I understand that there is a "pig" problem around Winnipeg. Apparently some wild boar releases from game farms has created a bit of a problem in that area. No licence required to hunt the piggies.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fischer, I have a cyber friend in Winnipeg and he has been teasing me about the Oinker hunting there now. The fish and game people were rejoicing after the big flood because they thought the pigs would all have drowned. NOT! They have spread out worse than ever and are under a shoot on sight edict. derf

one of us
posted Hide Post
derf:

To bring down my cholesterol count I have cut back on meat and, in particular, one of my real favorites -pork sausages. I did so starting about 3 months ago. Please do not tell me the pigs had a change of diet before that! There's an old expression: "Where ignorance is bliss, t'is folly to be wise". (BTW, and this is irrelevant but Canadian bacon has been very difficult and nearly impossible to get in my area for years. I loved it and occasionally wonder why we don't see it down here as much as years ago)