Find
Notify
Tools
Coupla interesting ones
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted
First one was probably less than funny to the pilot.

The tugboat and the bridge -
http://koti.mbnet.fi/~soldier/towboat.htm

Second one is more amusing/amazing

The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World -
http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

LouisB

Posts: 4233 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
all that size, but just think, a C-130's engine puts out more ponys than that

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002
One of Us
Picture of Porkypine
posted Hide Post
Yup, but I betcha the C130 engine won't do that at 102 RPM......

Posts: 52 | Location: Northwest Colorado | Registered: 10 August 2003
one of us
posted Hide Post
An interesting note to the series of pictures of the tow, the captain had actually off loaded the crew onto the barges, but he rode it out. Big cajones. Those boats have about four or so feet of concrete in the bottom for ballast so they can survive things like that. I have a friend that made his living as a deckhand on the mississippi for a long time, it's a tough dangerous way to make a living.

DGK

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
The C-130 runs turboprops running at about 8,000 - 9,000 RPM and they won't come close to 100,000 HP. Even the new GE90-115B (The most powerful jet engine made won't touch it.

Posts: 12556 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
that giant engine is simply amazing, what a marvel of man's God given abilities.

thanks for posting it.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Darn pics aren't showing up. Blast!!! derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
derf
You HAVE to SEE pictures of the engine!
It is amazing what we can build!

LouisB

Posts: 4233 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
your right, I was looking at the total power of ONE cylinder, not the total over all

Posts: 675 | Location: anchorage | Registered: 17 February 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cool photos, thanks.

Is that engine kick start like most Japanese powerplants? [Wink]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Man, that diesel is unbelievable.

But, can you say "NUCLEAR"????

Posts: 13410 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
Had a Trojan attack during my visit to the site... Connected, ?, still trying to figure it out. Good AV is a blessing.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, I'm a gonna need a longer hood for my truck now. Mebbe a new clutch too. [Wink]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I worked for Caterpillar I had the opportunity to work on some of the ore carriers that Ford Motor owned. These boats were built in the 20's. They had a inline 6 cylinder engine. The max rpm's of these engines were 72RPM's. The cylinders were big enough to allow you to take a ladder and put it down in the cylinder and set it on the crown of the piston, after removal of the head. If the cylinder wall cracked they "stiched" it up by drilling holes in the crack and inserting cast iron screws into the drill holes. Then they would go and drill holes between the first set of screws and screw in another set of screws. They would do this until the crack was filled in with screws. Then just ground down the excess until it was fairly smooth. There was also a tube running down the side of the engine that a man would crawl through when the engine was running and he would look at the piston skirts as they went past the opening to see if the cylinder was geting enough oil on it. They had little adjustable valves that would allow you to adjust the amount of oil being squirted on the piston rings. These engines were three stories high and a dry sump design. There were also hatches that you culd open and walk around inside the dry sump crankcase. If they had a problem with one of the cylinders they could go inside the engine and remove the connecting rod cap and hang the piston connecting rod to the side of the engine and run on three cylinders. Hense the term hanging a rod. These engines had "babbit" bearings in them. Babbit went out a very long time ago.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seem to remember reading about an old steam-powered paddlewheeler riverboat that had a one-cylinder engine.

It had a 9-foot bore and an 11-foot stroke.

That's Displacement!

Rick.

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001