Notify
Tools

How Old is Grandma?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of teflon
posted
How old is Grandma???

Stay with this -- the answer is at the end. It will blow you away.

One evening a grandson was talking to his grandmother about current events.
The grandson asked his grandmother what she thought about the shootings at schools, the computer age, and just things in general.

The Grandma replied, "Well, let me think a minute, I was born before:

' television

' penicillin

' polio shots

' frozen foods

' Xerox

' contact lenses

' Frisbees and

' the pill

There was no:

' radar

' credit cards

' laser beams or

' ball-point pens

Man had not invented:

' pantyhose

' air conditioners

' dishwashers

' clothes dryers

' and the clothes were hung out to dry in the fresh air and

' man hadn't yet walked on the moon

Your Grandfather and I got married first, . . . and then lived together.

Every family had a father and a mother.

Until I was 25, I called every man older than me, "Sir".
And after I turned 25, I still called policemen and every man with a title, "Sir."

We were before gay-rights, computer- dating, dual careers, daycare centers, and group therapy.

Our lives were governed by the Ten Commandments, good judgment, and common sense.

We were taught to know the difference between right and wrong and to stand up and take responsibility for our actions.

Serving your country was a privilege; living in this country was a bigger privilege.

We thought fast food was what people ate during Lent.

Having a meaningful relationship meant getting along with your cousins.

Draft dodgers were people who closed their front doors when the evening breeze started.

Time-sharing meant time the family spent together in the evenings and weekends-not purchasing condominiums.

We never heard of FM radios, tape decks, CDs, electric typewriters, yogurt, or guys wearing earrings.

We listened to the Big Bands, Jack Benny, and the President's speeches on our radios.

And I don't ever remember any kid blowing his brains out listening to Tommy Dorsey.

If you saw anything with 'Made in Japan ' on it, it was junk.

The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Pizza Hut, McDonald's, and instant coffee were unheard of.

We had 5 &10-cent stores where you could actually buy things for 5 and 10 cents.

Ice-cream cones, phone calls, rides on a streetcar, and a Pepsi were all a nickel.

And if you didn't want to splurge, you could spend your nickel on enough stamps to mail 1 letter and 2 postcards.

You could buy a new Chevy Coupe for $600, . . . but who could afford one?
Too bad, because gas was 11 cents a gallon.

In my day:

' "grass" was mowed,

' "coke" was a cold drink,

' "pot" was something your mother cooked in and

' "rock music" was your grandmother's lullaby.

' "Aids" were helpers in the Principal's office,

' " chip" meant a piece of wood,

' "hardware" was found in a hardware store and

' "software" wasn't even a word.

And we were the last generation to actually believe that a lady needed a husband to have a baby. No wonder people call us "old and confused" and say there is a generation gap... and how old do you think I am?

I bet you have this old lady in mind...you are in for a shock!

Read on to see -- pretty scary if you think about it and pretty sad at the same time.

This Woman would be only 58 years old!

The mania for giving the Government power to meddle with the private affairs of cities or citizens is likely to cause endless trouble, through the rivaly of schools and creeds that are anxious to obtain official recognition, and there is great danger that our people will lose our independence of thought and action which is the cause of much of our greatness, and sink into the helplessness of the Frenchman or German who expects his government to feed him when hungry, clothe him when naked, to prescribe when his child may be born and when he may die, and, in fine, to regulate every act of humanity from the cradle to the tomb, including the manner in which he may seek future admission to paradise.
Mark Twain

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ " "Victory or Death!"

Posts: 723 | Location: chillin' in the Mountain State | Registered: 10 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This thing is badly dated. There was radar in 47 and not every famly had 2 parents. derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would peg her as being born in the teens or 20's to remember radio broadcasts from the 30's and 40's.

Whatever the age, it is pretty sad to think many people just like her are still alive and look around to see how much our society has degenerated.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of Marterius
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is a lot to think about there... Thanks.

But Derf has a point, there were both radar and penicillin in 1947. I agree with ShopCartRacing, I guess she could be the age of my parents, born around 1920.

-----------------------
A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition. - R. Kipling

Posts: 2068 | Location: Goteborg, Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
quote:
This Woman would be only 58 years old!

Maybe this article is 20 years old?

Radar saved Britains butt during the battle of Britain, Pennicillin was busy saving lives too.
The RAF bought manufacturing rights for the ball point pen because its pilots had trouble with fountain pens leaking at altitude. Contact lenses also date from the 40's

The Nazis had already made the first TV broadcast before they invaded Poland.

quote:
The term 'making out' referred to how you did on your school exam.

Give me a break on this one, Granny is in total denial here! Research social activities of most any Western culture of the 20's!

I'm skeptical because my grandmom used to say this stuff, and later on I found out that a year before my dad was born my grandfather had broken his back and was confined in bed for 6 months in a full body cast. Hmmm......

That's a whiskey flask in her stocking...

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Oh, and couldn't you buy "pot" and "coke" at the corner drugstore?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
The 'Apparatus for Treating Air' (U.S. Pat# 808897) granted in 1906, was the first of several patents awarded to Willis Haviland Carrier.

Chilling...

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:
Oh, and couldn't you buy "pot" and "coke" at the corner drugstore?

Only Opium and only till 1914 Harrison Narc act.

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, but Coke was called that until 59(IIRC) because it contained coke! derf

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
My grandmother used to say these things too. I think that "joke" or trivia has been around for just over 20 years. I remember reading it in a newpaper when I was about 15 while at my grandmothers house. She was born in 1915.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
Even the things listed that were actually invented in 1947. How many famalies actually had any or most of the things on the list.

NOT VERY MANY.

They had tractors a long time before that. a lot of people I know still used horses and mules at that time etc. etc. etc.
The first car was invented way before that to. How many people actually had one after the first few years they were invented.
Heck I know several cops that doesnt even have radar in their cars now.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of stubbleduck47
posted Hide Post
Born in 1947:
1. Not all of my friends considered serving the country a priviledge (Vietnam)
2. Making Out was a commong activity at the submarine races
3. McDonalds were not common but I knew where to find a couple
4. Volkswagon ads emphasized a price less than $2000
5. Pantyhose existed and caused a certain amount of confusion and problems at the submarine races
6. My Mom had a dishwasher when I was in 5th grade, noone thought it unusual as I remember.
7. I got a polio shot while in second or maybe third grade

Overall I think the list dates back a bit before the baby boomers

Posts: 911 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote