THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    What caliber rifle do you use for deer hunting?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What caliber rifle do you use for deer hunting?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I ask a friend that I haven't hunted with in years the caliber rifle he and his son used.

His reply was " ...I use a 243. I like a 243 because after you pull the trigger the hunt is not over. You still get to hunt for another hour or so."

Posts: 277 | Location: Newton, MS | Registered: 08 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
That is pretty funny but I have not found it to be the case with the 6mmRem which is essentially a 243Win. Drops whitetails like lightning.

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of holzauge
posted Hide Post
I use 7mm Mag or .270 over the soy bean flats of the coast. I use .270 in the Shennandoah Valley.
A titanium 7mm08 that's replaced my .243 in the mountains because the gun is lighter. I consider the .243 adequate only when hunting where tracking one 30 yrd.s couldn't involve wading in a swamp or skinning myself in the briars. I use 54 cal. black pwdr gun, 12. sabot slugs or a crossbow when govenor gives me no bloody option.

Sei wach!

Posts: 621 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: 06 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Jarrod
posted Hide Post
that is funny, but seriously teach him how to shoot.

"Science only goes so far then God takes over."

Posts: 3504 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 07 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckhunter39208:
I ask a friend that I haven't hunted with in years the caliber rifle he and his son used.

His reply was " ...I use a 243. I like a 243 because after you pull the trigger the hunt is not over. You still get to hunt for another hour or so."

I'm going to steal this, for the Hunter Education course our club runs!

Damn, I think I broke rib!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The deer run around up here once in a while when a 243 is used. I think its the cold weather. Can't feel a thing its so dammm cold.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote