New
Find
Notify
Tools

ANOTHER DISASTER ???????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
For those of you who are not aware, North Dakota and southwestern Montana got hit with their first blizzard of the season a couple of weeks ago...and blizzards are not a fun experience, either! This text is from county emergency manager out in the western part of North Dakota state after the storm.

Up here in the Northern Plains we just recovered from a Historic event --- may I even say a "Weather Event" of "Biblical Proportions" --- with a historic blizzard of up to 24" inches of snow and winds to 50 MPH that broke trees in half, stranded hundreds of motorists in lethal snow banks, closed all roads, isolated scores of communities and cut power to 10's of thousands.

George Bush did not come....
FEMA staged nothing....
No one howled for the government...
No one even uttered an expletive on TV...
Nobody demanded $2,000 debit cards.....
No one asked for a FEMA Trailer House....
No news anchors moved in.

We just melted snow for water, sent out caravans to pluck people out of snow engulfed cars, fired up wood stoves, broke out coal oil lanterns or Aladdin lamps and put on an extra layer of clothes.

Even though a Category "5" blizzard of this scale has never fallen this early...we know it can happen and how to deal with it ourselves.

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice. I would remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue."
Barry M Goldwater.

Posts: 968 | Location: YUMA, ARIZONA | Registered: 12 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
What?
No looting of Jewelry Stores in search of food and water fo yo chilluns?

My Strength Is That I Can Laugh At Myself,
My Weakness Is That I have No Choice.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
Who would have believed people can take care of themselves without the Goverment.
DAMN beer

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BlackHawk1
posted Hide Post
Self-reliance.....what a concept!

FWIW, a few years ago when I was active duty, I was stationed in Minot ND. Blizzards, large amounts of snow that might leave by mid-spring, and sub-zero temps...every year....ya, you betcha.

BH1

There are no flies on 6.5s!

Posts: 707 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 23 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I'll bet you did have to break into walmart and take that 32" TV just to survive. I'll also bet you shot at your rescuers.

One of Us
Picture of cobra
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackHawk1:
Self-reliance.....what a concept!

FWIW, a few years ago when I was active duty, I was stationed in Minot ND. Blizzards, large amounts of snow that might leave by mid-spring, and sub-zero temps...every year....ya, you betcha.

Up here, that IS spring. lol roflmao roflmao

Posts: 8827 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 25 August 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Pretty funny, Yuman.

Why don't you take a little vacation down here on the Gulf Coast and see just how damn funny the aftermath of a Catagory 4 hurricane really is.

Styker60

Posts: 45 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
Stryker,,I have personally been on both sides,,just the same either way,,,If you're not prepared,,you're screwed,Clay,www.letitsnow.com

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Claybuster, you CAN't prepare for a 30+ foot storm surge, or 160+ mph winds! That's the point.

I realize that the situation in New Orleans was/is a fiasco and that much of it could have been avoided. What people forget is that N.O. was only one of the cities which got hit, and did not even suffer the most extensive, or the worst, damage.

I have never been through a blizzard, thank God, but I have yet to hear of one which destroyed 30-40% of the homes in an an area 200 miles wide, or which destroyed (not temporarily shut down) 30% of the tax base, or which put 25% of the population out of work for an estimated 9-12 months.

Have you?

Stryker60

Posts: 45 | Location: Biloxi, MS | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CaneCorso
posted Hide Post
I think what is interesting is the lack of media coverage...

~~~

Be watchful, stand firm in the faith, act like men, be strong.
1 Corinthians 16:13

Posts: 622 | Location: CA, USA | Registered: 01 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Great Midwest Flood of 1993 was the "most devastating flood in modern United States history" with economic damages near $20 billion. More than 50,000 homes were damaged or destroyed. The areal extent, intensity, and long duration of the flooding makes this event unique in the 20th century (National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, 1994). At least 38 people lost their lives as a result of this extreme flood (Interagency Floodplain Management Task Force, 1994).

Significant flooding in the Upper Mississippi River Basin began in mid-June and persisted into early August 1993. The areal extent of this flooding included southern Minnesota, southwestern Wisconsin, Iowa, western Illinois, northern Missouri, southern North Dakota, and eastern parts of South Dakota, Nebraska, and Kansas

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I am in Missouri I can vouch for the devestation of the Great Flood. The town of Franklin MO is now Franklin MO and has moved a few miles outside the flood plains (with the aid of several million goverment dollars). I have been through four hurricanes, several floods, one tornado, and one blizzard. Hurricanes are by far the worst in damage. While the Great Flood was pretty impressive (and there were rescue operations and funds from many many government agencies, state and federal), the devestation was rather isolated to mainly rural areas. Farmlands were the most affected areas. Yes some cities and towns were involved, but nothing like New Orleans. And I know the favorite reframe, "if you don't like hurricanes then leave the coast." Which means people in the midwest should leave cause of the tornados, the northerners should leave cause of the blizzards and the west coasters should leave cause of the earthquakes. So I guess we should all live where??? Hawaii, works for me! Smiler except for the tsunamis... while I like to find humor in all events (helps deal with them) a blizzard is a minor thing compared to a hurricane.

one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Claybuster, you CAN't prepare for a 30+ foot storm surge, or 160+ mph winds! That's the point.

I live on a Gulf Coast barrier island...just as vulnerable as anyone can be.

You prepare by understanding that anything you can't get out in 24 hours is expendable and deal with it! While I have great sympathy for all those (including some friends of mine in the Beaumont/Port Arthur area) anything less is having your head in the sand...

Just my 2 cents worth. Laugh about it or you'll go insane!

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stryker60:

I realize that the situation in New Orleans was/is a fiasco and that much of it could have been avoided. What people forget is that N.O. was only one of the cities which got hit, and did not even suffer the most extensive, or the worst, damage.

I have never been through a blizzard, thank God, but I have yet to hear of one which destroyed 30-40% of the homes in an an area 200 miles wide, or which destroyed (not temporarily shut down) 30% of the tax base, or which put 25% of the population out of work for an estimated 9-12 months.

Have you?

Stryker60

Ye, you can prepare. It's called not living at 20 feet below see level. Shit, you couldn't pay me to live in NO.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote