Find
Notify
Tools
Re: Atkinsite Humor
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted
I was one of those guys who could never lose weight unless I ran everyday. Well, I blew a knee out 10 years ago and 7 operations later I was at 307 Lbs. On May 1 2002, I started the Atkins diet and six months later (right before Thanskgiving,) I weighed 245 lbs. On May 1 of 2003, I weighed in at 226. Right now I'm at 232 (I splurged during the holidays) and my New Year's resolution is to lose 25 lbs so I can say that I've lost an even 100 Lbs.

Posts: 12693 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
For those of you on the Adkins diet who find it hard to stick with, should try the South Beach Diet. The diet allows good carbs and promotes heart healthy meals. I found it easier than the Adkins diet.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
Can someone give me a run down on this Atkins diet?

Posts: 8031 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

The Adkins diet is a high protein diet that pretty much allows you to eat as much meat, cheese, and green veggies as you want.By not eating carbohydrates your body goes into ketosis, the burning of body fat.Its a very effective way of losing weight, if you can stick to it, which sometimes can be very hard to do.
Fordfreak

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Here you go, Bakes: http://atkins.com/

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003
<mikeh416Rigby>
posted
That's outstanding! I started the Atkins on Jan 5th, and have dropped 24 pounds so far. Only 46 more to go.

one of us
Picture of scw
posted Hide Post
When you guys loose weight on the Adkins, is it hard to keep it off? I wonder if every little varience from the diet will wipe you out (?). IOW, how strict do you have to be to stay thinner? I've picked up a few pounds, in addition to having an inside/sitdown job for the first time, and I need to do something.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The books outline a 4 stage plan where you progressively add back things that were eliminated in the 2-week induction phase. The 4th stage is what you're supposed to stay with. The trouble with any sort of weight loss plan is that if you decide you're "there" and quit, it'll all come right back. Been there, done that.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What is this doing in the humour section,even though I will recommend your observation to a fat friend. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Bakes,

Forget dieting if you wish to loose a few pounds. Eat what you like, just reduce the amount you eat.

That is what I do, and have been 130 pounds dripping wet for as far back as I can remember

Posts: 68648 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
BUT I LIKE CREAM FILLED DONUT'S SAEED AND I CAN'T STOP

Quote:

That is what I do, and have been 130 pounds dripping wet for as far back as I can remember

Genetics Saeed, you have'nt seen the rest of the Baker clan

Mate I need something. I busted my knee last year and I have to get back into the fitness thing. Only I can't run as I still get pain, but I have to run to build my fitness and loose weight

Posts: 8031 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

What is this doing in the humour section,even though I will recommend your observation to a fat friend. derf

Derf, just the first part that Richochet posted was meant to be humerous, and it was to me. Hey, i'd like to be around when you recommend the Atkinson program to a "fat" friend. Now that would be humorous.

Plinker

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Plinker, This guy is about 6'3 and was 380lbs. He is now down to about 350 with a very restrictive diet but not the low carb diet. It doesn't help that he is stuck on welfare because of non-weifgt related health problems.
One time when we were working together just as I turned my back to him I saw out of the corner of my eys,him tripping over the curb and sitting down hard. I just couldn't help myself,the words just popped out of my mouth. I flung my arms out as if to catch my balence and said "Holy Sh*t, What was that,it felt like a 6.2. And then turned around and looked surprised at him being on the ground. That kinda took the sting out of it for im. He knows too that even with the kidding how I really feel about him. In fact I am the only person that he had to ask for a ride home from the hospital next Tuesday. derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003
one of us
posted Hide Post
You guys are all WIMPS!! There is a better way to lose weight without all that fancy diet and exercise.

When I graduated from college, I weighed 165 pounds.

That was 20 years ago. Well, I'm now a little more of a man than I used to be. Diet? Not this pizza loving white boy. All ya gotta do is convert. "Convert" you ask? Of course. I now weigh 110 kilos, thanks to the metric system.

And if things should get to where at, say, 130 kilos I would prefer not to discuss it anymore? "18 stone" is all I gotta say. Problem solved.

And if ya really want to impress the ladies in the United States, just tell her how long your pecker is in centimeters.

Posts: 68 | Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin | Registered: 24 February 2003
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

It started off with the story about the girl on the BK drivethrough, which I found humorous. It sort of branched off in another direction, as the battle of the bulge is a serious matter to many of us.

one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Forget dieting if you wish to loose a few pounds. Eat what you like, just reduce the amount you eat.

Saeed, that sounds like what a patient once told me: "The best diet is the HAM diet." "Ham diet?!" "Half As Much."

one of us
posted Hide Post
The HAM diet coupled with moderate exercise is indeed the best way. Even these diet pills and patches couple their regime with moderate exercise and "responsible modest eating habits". Diet pills and patches don't work without those additional regimens.

Posts: 32 | Location: Shreveport, LA by way of Everett WA | Registered: 10 April 2003
one of us
posted Hide Post
Atkins diet worked for me. Lost about 25lbs after starting last summer, however put about five of them back on during the holidays. Getting back on track again, need to lose another 15 or 20.

Basically just eliminate bread, potatos and pasta. Not hard to do, eat all the meat, cheese, eggs, veggies, etc. you like. By doing so, this pretty much eliminates fast food; french fries, hamburgers, etc. which are a big problem.

My buddy & I call it the "steak & whiskey diet". Eat lots of steak and drink whiskey instead of beer. I can't stick with the whiskey too regilously however, afraid I'll do something stupid, so I revert back to Lite beer and the diet works anyway.

Posts: 199 | Location: North Central Indiana | Registered: 09 September 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post

DID I HEAR THE NEWS RIGHT TONITE? IS IT TRUE THAT DR ATKINS DIED TODAY?IS IT TRUE THE HE WEIGHED OVER 250#? IS IT TRUE THAT HIS HEART BLEW UP OR SOMETHING? I LOVE MEAT AND EGGS BUT I THINK I'LL TRY TO KEEP ON A BALANCED DIET.THAT H A M DIET SOUNDS LIKE THE WAY TO GO FOR ME. I LOVE A BUFFET !

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....

one of us
posted Hide Post
He died a couple of months ago.

This was in yesterday's news, in response to suggestions by PETA that his own diet didn't work.

"The facts on the late Dr. Robert Atkins:
(1) Dr. Stuart Trager MD, chairman of the Atkins Physicians Council, told the Wall Street Journal that Atkins' heart disease stemmed from cardiomyopathy, a condition that was thought to result from a viral infection. Atkins' weight was due to bloating and water-retention associated with his condition, and the time he spent in a coma after his head injury.
(2) Trager's own release this morning reads in part: "Due to water retention ... [Atkins] had a weight that varied between 180 and 195. During his coma, as he deteriorated and his major organs failed, fluid retention and bloating dramatically distorted his body and left him at 258 pounds at the time of his death, a documented weight gain of over 60 pounds."

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Dr. Atkins died about a year ago. It was widely reported on the news at the time, as he had become something of a celebrity. He reportedly slipped on ice, fell and hit his head. He spent 8 days in an ICU (probably on a ventilator) before they called it quits. If you've seen folks in that situation, they puff up like toads.

Even if Dr. Atkins had been fat as a bear himself, that wouldn't have any bearing on whether his advice works if followed. Ever have a doctor who smoked, or was overweight, or had high blood pressure? Doctors are people, too, and certainly are fallible. Somebody (I hadn't heard PETA was behind this, but it wouldn't surprise me) is just trying to discredit the Atkins diet by discrediting its author. That's a classic logical fallacy, "argumentum ad hominem," I think it's called. Show me the data about why it doesn't work, I don't care about Dr. Atkins' health.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I try to avoid doctors who can't or don't follow their own advice! However, the Adkins diet works like gangbusters as long as you have the guts to make it a lifestyle, not a diet. As with them all, if/when you go back to old habits the old pounds come back too!!

Posts: 32 | Location: Shreveport, LA by way of Everett WA | Registered: 10 April 2003
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I first heard the "280" lb news I notice that it was explained that "Peta accidentally released Dr. Atkins medical records".

Knowing what I do about PETA I figured something was bogus.

Posts: 77 | Location: williamsburg missouri | Registered: 08 January 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

the Adkins diet works like gangbusters as long as you have the guts to make it a lifestyle, not a diet.

It also works as long as you don't have any kidney problems, heart problems, or bad issues with blood pressure. Too much protein causes problems if any of those above exist.

a balanced diet is still the only legitimate diet out there.

more importantly, though, have you tried that low-carb beer? Its terrible. Any diet I will endorse must include Guinness.

dawgdoc

Posts: 95 | Location: Idaho, USA | Registered: 26 March 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
Two Irishmen, Patrick & Michael, were adrift in a
lifeboat following a dramatic escape from a burning
freighter. While rummaging through the boat's
provisions, Patrick stumbled across an old lamp.
Secretly hoping that a genie would appear, he rubbed
the lamp vigorously.
To the amazement of Patrick, a genie came forth.
This particular genie, however, stated that he could
only deliver one wish, not the standard three.
Without giving much thought to the matter, Patrick
blurted out, "Make the entire ocean into Guinness
Beer!" The genie clapped his hands with a deafening

crash, and immediately the entire sea turned into the
finest brew ever sampled by mortals.
Simultaneously, the genie vanished.
Only the gentle lapping of the Guinness on the hull
broke the stillness as the two men considered their
circumstances.
Michael looked disgustedly at Patrick whose wish had
been granted.
After a long, tension-filled moment, he spoke: