Find
Notify
Tools

Grenade Training 101
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
A hand grenade can go off in 4-5 seconds. Ever hear the saying "throws like a girl"? In the (new) Marine Corps (with women in combat), this is what it looks like....filmed on location at Camp Pendleton, CA.

Http://i.imgur.com/t3CF25z.gif

Posts: 1077 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A true pioneering woman combat Marine would have thrown herself on that grenade to save the other two Marines lives...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quick reactions by the instructors I would have been flat on my belly instead of hands and knees.

Posts: 19428 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Time to get that recruit a typewriter.

Posts: 13805 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I cannot believe what I just watched. Apparently there was no training on the proper way to throw a HG. It is simply incredible that those Marines would allow such a thing to happen. Absolutely no technique displayed, from proper hold, body position and stance to the weak arm position (you don't throw a HG like a softball- you stiff arm it, ya know?).
Take your wife's 1 lb hand weight and try throwing it like a baseball- you'll see what I mean. Now, heave it over your head from your hip with your body at a 90 deg to the target area and arm straight- using your shoulder and back muscles- it'll go ~35 m easily for a man in decent health.

That student must have been an ROTC Senator's kid or something.

Those Marine instructors must have been prosecuted for their horrible failure. At least the primary NCO got to jump her bones in a way before being reduced in rank for it....

Yes, I have thrown a few a live HGs, in trng as well as in combat.

Posts: 1082 | Location: MidWest USA  | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
Time to get that recruit a typewriter.

Maybe she is the typist?
Generally, many women do not know how to throw. It is difficult for them as it is for us to throw with your left hand, if you're not a Lefty.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
rotflmo

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HPMaster:
I cannot believe what I just watched. Apparently there was no training on the proper way to throw a HG. It is simply incredible that those Marines would allow such a thing to happen. Absolutely no technique displayed, from proper hold, body position and stance to the weak arm position (you don't throw a HG like a softball- you stiff arm it, ya know?).
Take your wife's 1 lb hand weight and try throwing it like a baseball- you'll see what I mean. Now, heave it over your head from your hip with your body at a 90 deg to the target area and arm straight- using your shoulder and back muscles- it'll go ~35 m easily for a man in decent health.

That student must have been an ROTC Senator's kid or something.

Those Marine instructors must have been prosecuted for their horrible failure. At least the primary NCO got to jump her bones in a way before being reduced in rank for it....

Yes, I have thrown a few a live HGs, in trng as well as in combat.

In the late 80's some poor dumb smuck complained that he got nightmares shooting at silouet targets in the Danish military. So in the mid 90's when soldiers was deployed to the Balkan noone could hit sh!7 and they actually had to send them to additional shooting training where they had to learn where to aim at human targets.

Fezz up!
The army is where you learn to kill people and thats all!
It's not a summer camp, it's not a debate club where you get's to question what is ordered. It's do what you're told or die camp.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons that the English were so successful during the peninsular campaign (besides Wellington) was that they were the only army at that time that trained with live ammo.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be throwing her in the sand bagged pit ,ahead of me. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where I used to work we made stun grenades. We threw a LOT of them in development and testing. Everyone wanted to throw one. After a big muscleman threw one like the girl in the video we learned to have the new guy throw a rock first.

Mark

Posts: 1234 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
Yup, thats what the pit is for behind the sandbags. We had a guy pull the pin on the cast iron practice grenade(cork and black powder inside) and let the handle go while holding behind his head. Burnt the crap out of his hand and neck---he sat out the live grenade throw! He also turned around with a live round in his M-1 and pointed it at the instructor in the advancing fire target round. All instructors hit the dirt screaming at him! One Gomer Pyle in every platoon.

Hippie redneck geezer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I watched one recruit get out of his foxhole and chase his scorecard downrange on a windy day...it blew out of his helmet band during the live fire... That was kind of funny, safety wise everyone had stopped firing anyway and watched the dumbass try and get that piece of paper.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1174 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote