New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Shooting Competition
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was looking at my budget to get new toys for USPSA and 1000 yard benchrest and realized that I spend a hell of a lot of money on that stuff. (I do enjoy it though) But that got me thinking that I have a bunch of hunting rifles in the Gun Safe and I don't shoot those for Competition so I am going to start a competition for Hunting Guns.

Here are the Rules.

Your Rifle has to be a Factory Gun. It cannot cost more than $900 (scope not included) It can be in any deer/elk hunting caliber from .243 Win up to whatever.

Rifle can be of any "action," but if it doesn't look like a hunting gun, you are getting sent home. Which means that if it has any special graphics, sponsors or a pretty flu flu color you are getting sent home also. It has to be a factory gun. Setting the $900 limit might make some Weatherbys get thrown out but since I am inventing this I am setting the rules.

Max Power on your scope can be 14x, and Muzzle Breaks are Optional, but not recomended.

Competition will be be with/for a Single Person or a Partner.

Here are some of the stages I was thinking up.

Stage One.

You are driving the truck and see a moving coyote target at 200 yards.
You have to stop the truck, put it in park, grab your rifle and shoot off the hood of the truck all in 20 seconds or less. You have 3 shots to hit the target.

Stage Two.

Exactly like Stage One except partner is driving the truck. And now you have to use the Truck Door as a Rest.

Stage Three.

You are sitting down eating a Candy Bar. A moving deer is walking in front of you at 225 yards. You have to put down the candy bar. Grab your Gun and shoot off your daypack. The target will stop for 5 seconds.

Stage Four.

You are now going to the bathroom with your zipper down and see a elk target at 300 yards. You have to zip up your zipper. Load your gun and use a tree to make the shot.

Stage Five.

Run up a slight hill for 60 yards, then take an off hand shot at a moving whitetail deer target at 75 yards. You have 3 shots.

Stage Six.

You are hanging by your safety harness under your tree stand. (You fell asleep and fell out) You still have your gun and see a target of the Biggest Whitetail in your life. You now have to figure out how to load your gun while hanging there, and get two shots into the whitetail target. The target is not moving.

Stage 7

You are sitting in the outhouse when you see a Black Bear Target at 100 yards away. You have to load your gun and shoot the black bear in less than 10 seconds. (Still sitting on the Pot)

That's all I could think of right now, but I thought this could be an entertaining if some of you thought some stages up. Shoot, maybe with enough of a calling we could get togther a true Hunting Competion.

Mink and Wall Tents don't go together. Especially when you are sleeping in the Wall Tent.
DRSS .470 & .500

Posts: 1051 | Location: The Land of Lutefisk | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You're sitting over a log doing natures business when a moose pops out about 50 yards away. You have to shoot with your pants down a roll of toilet paper firmly clenched in your teeth and not fall backwards over the log into your own doodoo.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Driving down the road you see a nice deer (it's always gotta be a nice one!) stop the truck slam the mag into the gun as you roll down the window. Now the deer is running back down the road you now have to drive backward with the gun pointing out the window, you can't bump the scope or gun as you careen in and out of the ruts and through the potholes. Once again you must stop and finally get your shot.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Whilst paddling your trusty canoe through choppy waves you must use an iron sighted cooey that's tied to the thwart with a piece of 1/2 inch rope through the trigger guard (in front of the trigger not behind it) to shoot a beaver that's 75 yards away. While trying to avoid ricocheting the bullet into your dad's herd of cattle.

This one is taken out of a long forgotten memory

the chef

One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
You are driving down the road on the last day of gun dear season, it is almost dark. See a nice buck standing just off the road. There is no time to do anything but roll down the window, and stick the old '06 out and shoot.
A big wad of styrofoam blows out the back of the fake dear. Possum cop is behind you with his blue lights on. You are less one dear rifle and $600.00. This happened to one of my shooting buddies couple of years ago. shame

Arkansas football will rise again!

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
You are in the hottub in the backyard on a snowcovered moonlit winter night, it's 15 degrees and 5" of fresh snow is on the ground. You're with you're new girlfriend that doesn't know you shoot.

An average size buck with a nice symetrical rack comes out of the woods 20 feet away.

You have to make it to your towel get your new .45, shoot the deer while both you and the deer are naked standing in 5" of snow on in 15 degree air. You then have to drag the deer to the garage naked and make it back to the hottub before hypothermia sets in. Once there, you have to contend with the shrinkage and wether or not the new girl is hunter friendly...

you've got 28 seconds.

Collins
Airgunner / 458 SOCOMer/ 45-70er / 458 Lotter

www.actionairgun.com LIVE NOW

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
You need a shotgun section...

While carrying a bag of duck decoys on your left (weak) shoulder and a cased shotgun in your right, slogging through 12-18" deep muck, you have a pop-up duck target splash in the remainder of your decoy spread. (True story, live duck!)

You have 10 seconds to drop the bag, uncase and load your shotgun, before the target is launched away at the usual mach II late winter ducks fly.
Bonus points for not perforating the decoys still on the water.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are eating lunch one day after a weekend of unproductive hunting, when out the livingroom window, you see a nice little buck walking across your driveway.
You have 30 seconds to get your rifle out of the garage, get the squeeky front door open and shoot the deer that has been watching you do this all while the rest of your hunting party is cheering you on and/or taking bets as to whether you will hit it or not.

Posts: 273 | Location: Northern MN | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another shotgun one.

You are crossing a barb wire gate, using your (unloaded!!) shotgun butt to push the top strand down as you step over. As you are strandling the wire, a pheasant flushes behind you and the strand slips off impaling you in the upper thigh/crotch. Three more roosters flush (in range) as well as a couple of sharpies. Do you get out of the fence and hope to get a shot or do you load and try to shot while cranked around as they get up behind you? Your 10 seconds start when the wire digs into your leg(or elsewhere.)

For added difficulty add a partner yelling at you to quit screwing around with the fence and shoot.

Posts: 126 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 07 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a lot of us are digging through our list of real life adventures!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CalgaryChef1:

Smiler But this old New Yorker does wish that he had gone West in his youth to have such adventures! Smiler

Posts: 800 | Location: NY | Registered: 01 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by akperrydog:
Another shotgun one.

You are crossing a barb wire gate, using your (unloaded!!) shotgun butt to push the top strand down as you step over. As you are strandling the wire, a pheasant flushes behind you and the strand slips off impaling you in the upper thigh/crotch. Three more roosters flush (in range) as well as a couple of sharpies. Do you get out of the fence and hope to get a shot or do you load and try to shot while cranked around as they get up behind you? Your 10 seconds start when the wire digs into your leg(or elsewhere.)

For added difficulty add a partner yelling at you to quit screwing around with the fence and shoot.

clap clap clap

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sierrabravo45:
I was looking at my budget to get new toys for USPSA and 1000 yard benchrest and realized that I spend a hell of a lot of money on that stuff. (I do enjoy it though) But that got me thinking that I have a bunch of hunting rifles in the Gun Safe and I don't shoot those for Competition so I am going to start a competition for Hunting Guns.

Here are the Rules.

Your Rifle has to be a Factory Gun. It cannot cost more than $900 (scope not included) It can be in any deer/elk hunting caliber from .243 Win up to whatever.

Rifle can be of any "action," but if it doesn't look like a hunting gun, you are getting sent home. Which means that if it has any special graphics, sponsors or a pretty flu flu color you are getting sent home also. It has to be a factory gun. Setting the $900 limit might make some Weatherbys get thrown out but since I am inventing this I am setting the rules.

Max Power on your scope can be 14x, and Muzzle Breaks are Optional, but not recomended.

Competition will be be with/for a Single Person or a Partner.

Here are some of the stages I was thinking up.

Stage One.

You are driving the truck and see a moving coyote target at 200 yards.
You have to stop the truck, put it in park, grab your rifle and shoot off the hood of the truck all in 20 seconds or less. You have 3 shots to hit the target.

Stage Two.

Exactly like Stage One except partner is driving the truck. And now you have to use the Truck Door as a Rest.

Stage Three.

You are sitting down eating a Candy Bar. A moving deer is walking in front of you at 225 yards. You have to put down the candy bar. Grab your Gun and shoot off your daypack. The target will stop for 5 seconds.

Stage Four.

You are now going to the bathroom with your zipper down and see a elk target at 300 yards. You have to zip up your zipper. Load your gun and use a tree to make the shot.

Stage Five.

Run up a slight hill for 60 yards, then take an off hand shot at a moving whitetail deer target at 75 yards. You have 3 shots.

Stage Six.

You are hanging by your safety harness under your tree stand. (You fell asleep and fell out) You still have your gun and see a target of the Biggest Whitetail in your life. You now have to figure out how to load your gun while hanging there, and get two shots into the whitetail target. The target is not moving.

Stage 7

You are sitting in the outhouse when you see a Black Bear Target at 100 yards away. You have to load your gun and shoot the black bear in less than 10 seconds. (Still sitting on the Pot)

That's all I could think of right now, but I thought this could be an entertaining if some of you thought some stages up. Shoot, maybe with enough of a calling we could get togther a true Hunting Competion.

beer

I like it! Sign me up!

Cheers, Dave.

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote