THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    The definition of "Africa Time"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The definition of "Africa Time"
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of tim416
posted
For anyone that has had dealings with Africa you have probably heard of the phrase, "we are now dealing with "Africa time".
I have an African PH and friend here with me in Maine. He was in my office and was on his laptop checking his e-mails. I jokingly asked if he was returning one of the e-mails I had sent him weeks prior. After fifteen years this comment finally got me a definition of "Africa time".

If they say...

I will get back to you "now "= you will hear from me in 3-7 days
I will get back to you "just now"= you will hear from me in 1-3 weeks
I will get back to you "sometime"= you will never hear from me again. Wink

Posts: 254 | Location: Maine, USA | Registered: 02 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just-now was the one that got me the most confused with my SA friends.

the chef

One of Us
posted Hide Post
After seeing the success Black Folks have had with "Ghetto", I am surprised they haven't borrowed "Manana" from the spanish...

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Scriptus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tim416:
For anyone that has had dealings with Africa you have probably heard of the phrase, "we are now dealing with "Africa time".
I have an African PH and friend here with me in Maine. He was in my office and was on his laptop checking his e-mails. I jokingly asked if he was returning one of the e-mails I had sent him weeks prior. After fifteen years this comment finally got me a definition of "Africa time".

If they say...

I will get back to you "now "= you will hear from me in 3-7 days
I will get back to you "just now"= you will hear from me in 1-3 weeks
I will get back to you "sometime"= you will never hear from me again. Wink

You missed a couple; I'll get back to you "now-now," means piss off, you're worrying me.
"How far is it?" "Just over the next hill;" means that you could still be walking five days later. Big Grin Cool

SUSTAINABLY HUNTING THE BLUE PLANET!
"Political language is designed to make lies sound truthful, murder respectable and to give an appearence of solidity to pure wind." Dr J A du Plessis

Posts: 3297 | Location: South of the Equator. | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grins--They obviously stole the whole concept from Mexicans.

sofa

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote