Notify
Tools

Dinner In The 50's
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted
Subject : Dinner in the Fifties....

Pasta had not been invented. It was macaroni or spaghetti.

Curry was a surname.

Pizza? Sounds like a leaning tower somewhere.

Bananas and oranges only appeared at Christmas time.

All chips were plain.

Rice was a milk pudding, and never, ever part of our dinner.

A Big Mac was what we wore when it was raining.

Brown bread was something only poor people ate.

Oil was for lubricating, fat was for cooking.

Tea was made in a teapot using tea leaves and never green.

Cubed sugar was regarded as posh.

Chickens didn't have fingers in those days.

None of us had ever heard of yogurt.

Healthy food consisted of anything edible.

Cooking outside was called camping.

What is a taco?

Seaweed was not a recognized food.

'Kebab' was not even a word, never mind a food.

Sugar enjoyed a good press in those days, and was regarded as being
white gold.

Prunes were medicinal.

Surprisingly muesli was readily available. It was called cattle feed.

Pineapples came in chunks in a tin; we had only ever seen a picture of a
real one.

Water came out of the tap. If someone had suggested bottling it and

charging more than gasoline for it they would have become a laughing stock.

The one thing that we never ever had on/at our table in the fifties...

was elbows, hats and cell phones!

Posts: 2038 | Location: Grove,OK. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of those things we should be glad we've gotten past. Our parents were meat and potatoes people. Lot of wonderful stuff they never got to try. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Last Christmas my oldest son(age 46) and his wife were over for dinner. We all sat down at the table and my wife finally sat down after piddling around in the kitchen as usual. We all stared at her expecting her to ask for Grace to be said but she just sat there silently. Finally I asked "what are we waiting on?" She retorted "We're waiting on my eldest son to remember the manners his dad taught him starting at one year of age!" My son said Oops! Sorry! and took his hat off.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2

one of us
Picture of Nitro Express
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by A7drvr:
Last Christmas my oldest son(age 46) and his wife were over for dinner. We all sat down at the table and my wife finally sat down after piddling around in the kitchen as usual. We all stared at her expecting her to ask for Grace to be said but she just sat there silently. Finally I asked "what are we waiting on?" She retorted "We're waiting on my eldest son to remember the manners his dad taught him starting at one year of age!" My son said Oops! Sorry! and took his hat off.

I agree; leaving one's hat on at the table is just not acceptable.

Sadly, I see older people in restaurants eating with their hats on--guys my age, even! It's all part of the "rules are for fools" mentality that our "casual Friday" society has created.

I'm all for banning cell phones at the dinner table, too. Unfortunately, I have close family members who can't make it through a meal without sending/receiving texts or checking Facebook.

LTC, USA, RET
Benefactor Life Member, NRA
Member, SCI & DSC
Proud son of Texas A&M, Class of 1969

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp, or what's a heaven for?" Robert Browning

Posts: 1554 | Location: Native Texan Now In Jacksonville, Florida, USA | Registered: 10 July 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bad thing about hats is there is no safe place to put them. Years ago three Texas highway patrolmen put their hats on the rack at an Electra restaurant and when they got ready to leave, their hats had left without them. Locals said there were a lot of tickets written for while.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
As the old saying goes,only 2 groups of people eat with their hats on;Cowboys + Jews. My eldest son never knew that white bread existed until he entered public school,then when he found out about all the sugar cereals he went nuts + felt he had been betrayed. We try to raise them right no matter what.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote