New
Find
Notify
Tools

Happy Fathers Day!
 Login/Join

Picture of Mark
posted
A happy Fathers Day to everyone out there!

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I am doubably blessed.When my wife ran off back in the dark ages + left me with my 3 sons that was a great gift.When my youngest (3 at the time) needed anything I was there.When he entered 1st grade I had the priviledge of filling both roles in "Muffins With Mom + Doughnuts With Dad".My eldest in High school at the time would bring all his buds over after school. When I got home there would be at least 17 young men eating the groceries. No problem. I told them ,eat all you want,but if you use the last of anything or you think we need a replacement,put it on the list + I'll buy it.I also would make a big batch of venison chili + all the kids would scarf it up.To this day,almost 30 years later,I will run into one of those young men (not so young now) + they still all call me Dad + ask when I'm going to make another pot of venison chili.There are worst legacies to leave I suppose.I'm tooting my own horn because I deserve it.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good for you....well done!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Before you thank him, you've got to know who your Daddy is. Big Grin

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well,as we all have known what a chinese Fire Drill is' Col. Cooper renamed it "Fathers Day In Harlem".

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
I am doubably blessed.When my wife ran off back in the dark ages + left me with my 3 sons that was a great gift.When my youngest (3 at the time) needed anything I was there.When he entered 1st grade I had the priviledge of filling both roles in "Muffins With Mom + Doughnuts With Dad".My eldest in High school at the time would bring all his buds over after school. When I got home there would be at least 17 young men eating the groceries. No problem. I told them ,eat all you want,but if you use the last of anything or you think we need a replacement,put it on the list + I'll buy it.I also would make a big batch of venison chili + all the kids would scarf it up.To this day,almost 30 years later,I will run into one of those young men (not so young now) + they still all call me Dad + ask when I'm going to make another pot of venison chili.There are worst legacies to leave I suppose.I'm tooting my own horn because I deserve it.

thats great. beyond great. worst days of my life was when each of the 3 kids left for college in turn. best days were coming home from work and finding 3 kids on the front steps waiting for me to get home and play. i even turned down several promotions back in the day cause it would mean working farther away and coming home too late to go to the kids football, soccer etc practices and games. a relative once told me thank god shes finally 18 and gone ( his daughter). i would have given anything to have her back home for another year. now i've got grandkids in austin and when i go pick up em up after school i take em to the school playground. my wife thinks its hilarous that when i walk down the hallway at their school i have kids yelling "hi grandpa" out of the classrooms. have no idea who those kids belong to .

Posts: 1543 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Why is there no Father’s Day in Chicago?

No one knows whose father is who! clap

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68771 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most confusing day in mexico

Posts: 1543 | Location: south of austin texas | Registered: 25 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As in the Hemingway short story about the ad that was placed in the Madrid newspaper agony colunm."Paco,all is forgiven. Meet me in the square at noon.Papa." The next day the square was packed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations, Norman. You passed the test!

I didn't. I "provided", working long hours and wasn't home. The kids are gone now and I regret that. Still working, but that opportunity is lost.

Posts: 10363 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes sir.Another of my fondest memories is since I had my shop here on the same property,I could start a chicken in the crock pot in the morning then come back to the house about 3:00 + bone it out + add the vegs.so supper would be ready by 6:00.Then get to the end of the driveway for my 4 yr. old,take him up + cut up an apple w/ peanut butter + watch "Wishbone" on PBS with him + then go back to work,until coming home to get everything ready for supper.I would'nt take for those days + memories + I thank God for crockpots as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I can't say that I particularly recall having any deep discussions with my son and daughter about my strongly held moral values. I can say that in the discussions with them since my wife passed on that it shows that they think exactly the way I do. Makes a Dadddy proud, feels like I've done my job. GW

The possibilities for disaster boggle the mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm tooting my own horn because I deserve it.

You done good and nobody else is going to toot it for you.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2906 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Maybe you don't have to have deep discussions. Sometimes example is the best teacher. Of course, you may not know that until you are dead or dying! But then, a "warm fuzzy feeling" may not be the best indicator of good teaching/learning. I think that was what the OP was all about.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote