Tools

Quiz for Bright People
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
Quiz for Bright People

There are only nine questions.

This is a quiz for people who know everything!
I found out in a hurry that I didn't. These are not trick questions.
They are straight questions with straight answers..

1. Name the one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends.

2. What famous North American landmark is constantly moving backward?

3 Of all vegetables, only two can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons. All other vegetables must be replanted every year. What are the only two perennial vegetables?

4. What fruit has its seeds on the outside?

5. In many liquor stores, you can buy pear brandy, with a real pear inside the bottle. The pear is whole and ripe, and the bottle is genuine; it hasn't been cut in any way. How did the pear get inside the bottle?

6. Only three words in standard English begin with the letters ' dw' and they are all common words. Name two of them.

7. There are 14 punctuation marks in English grammar. Can you name at least half of them?

8. Name the only vegetable or fruit that is never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form except fresh.

9. Name 6 or more things that you can wear on your feet beginning with the letter 'S.'

Answers To Quiz:

1. The one sport in which neither the spectators nor the participants know the score or the leader until the contest ends: Boxing.

2. North American landmark constantly moving backward: Niagara Falls .. The rim is worn down about two and a half feet each year because of the millions of gallons of water that rush over it every minute.

3. Only two vegetables that can live to produce on their own for several growing seasons: Asparagus and rhubarb.

4. The fruit with its seeds on the outside:Strawberry.

5. How did the pear get inside the brandy bottle? It grew inside the bottle. The bottles are placed over pear buds when they are small, and are wired in place on the tree. The bottle is left in place for the entire growing season. When the pears are ripe, they are snipped off at the stems.

6. Three English words beginning with dw: Dwarf, dwell and dwindle...

7. Fourteen punctuation marks in English grammar:Period, comma, colon, semicolon, dash, hyphen, apostrophe, question mark, exclamation point, quotation mark, brackets, parenthesis, braces, and ellipses.

8. The only vegetable or fruit never sold frozen, canned, processed, cooked, or in any other form but fresh: Lettuce.

9. Six or more things you can wear on your feet beginning with 'S': Shoes, socks, sandals, sneakers, slippers, skis, skates, snowshoes, stockings, stilts.

Posts: 1085 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#3 Walking Onions

#8 Processed Cantaloupe? Watermelon? Honeydew?

Posts: 289 | Location: Western UP of Michigan  | Registered: 05 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I guess that #3 assumes fruits are either minerals or animals, not vegetables.

Lots of fruit trees, such as apples, re-produce for up to 100 years or more without being replanted. I had apple trees on my place in Walton, Oregon which were planted from root-stock brought over the Oregon Trail in the late 1840s. They tasted great fresh, too, though they weren't well suited to cooking as anything other than applesauce.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I assume #3 is adhereing to the accepted definitions of fruits vs vegetables. A fruit is any part of the plant containing seeds. A vegetable, in the nutritional sense, is any plant cultivated so that part of it may be eaten. This latter is always presumed to exclude fruit, since this is a separate food caategory.

Don't know if they are common everywhere, but frozen melon chunks are pretty common here, at least canteloupe and honeydew. Also, pickled watermelon is not uncommon.

Posts: 1237 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Art S.:
I assume #3 is adhereing to the accepted definitions of fruits vs vegetables. A fruit is any part of the plant containing seeds. A vegetable, in the nutritional sense, is any plant "cultivated so that part of it may be eaten". This latter is always presumed to exclude fruit, since this is a separate food caategory.

Don't know if they are common everywhere, but frozen melon chunks are pretty common here, at least canteloupe and honeydew. Also, pickled watermelon is not uncommon.

And I am assuming that Apple trees, cherry trees, etc. are intentionally cultivated so parts of them can be eaten. I've eaten lots of young leaves from both. I also eat rose hips, rose leaves, and other similar things which are cultivated by me to be partially eaten, and roses certainly bear leaves (and "hips" every year for many years).

Cambian layers of some tree barks are also eaten by some "primitive" societies in this world, and tended while growing just as carefully as "civilized" folk tend their food plants.

In my view, things in this world are as I was taught in school, animal, vegetable or mineral. I eat all three.

I also note there are seedless oranges quite commonly sold as very popular foods in grocery stores. What are they by the definition you gave? Vegetables or.....? They don't contain seeds, and they are cultivated for consumption and ARE part of the Orange tree until picked, They (the Orange trees) also bear for multiple years. No?

Just funnin' ya, but I also think the originator of that quiz might not be the sharpest knife in the kitchen.

It was still a fun test, even if just to discuss afterward.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dweeb goes with #6.
Durian is only served fresh I believe, lettuce is cooked in many receipe.

Posts: 183 | Location: SW Montana | Registered: 22 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
#4 Cashew

Jas Madhavan

Posts: 82 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MT Gianni:
Durian is only served fresh I believe

Durian can be found frozen, canned in syrup, and freeze dried.

#6 - dwine

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What the hell is durian??? Is it anything like collards or poke?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Durian is a fruit about the size of a rockmelon found in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand. It has been described as eating the king of fruits whilst sitting on the toilet. It has an incredible smell of sewer and is banned from carriage on the MRT in Singapore.
Tigers like durian so if you find one on the jungle floor in Sumatra, have a quiet look around...
Cheers, Chris

DRSS

Posts: 1971 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regards #8 - - - If you look on the internet, you will find several suppliers of canned lettuce and can buy it from there. Either plain or pickled, your choice.