Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted

Posts: 1071 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Help me Lord!!!!!
Good thing the road wasn't busy and that lady, with the SUV, was there to "help". LMAO

My wife wants a new Tahoe but I'm refusing to pull the trigger. I pointed out that every corner of her current Tahoe is mashed, dinged or scratched and it still runs fine. My heart cannot take seeing her ding up a new one! Sorry love...

Zeke

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Well, it is true, when God was giving common sense, women were out shopping!

I taught my daughter to drive.

Very simple.

Took her out in our backyard, drove around telling her about the gears, break and accelerator.

Automatic car.

Got out and took the passenger seat, and let her drive for a bit.

Got out and let her drive on her own.

Then I put plastic cones making parking spaces.

Showed her how to park in different situations.

We have a manual car too.

Then got her to drive that.

When she was ready to get her license, went to a driving school, and drove a manual Nissan patrol.

She drives great, and now has her own Jeep Gladiator, and loves to drive in the desert.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66927 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My eldest son, after leaving the
Navy went to work for Central Freight in the warehouse. He would show up for work a couple of hours early every morning + the truckers would give him lessons. By the time he was ready to take his CDL, he was ready. He took the test with a rig W/ a 72' trailer. He whipped it in to parallel park right on the button, + the DPS cop chick said, You've done this before. + the little shit just said, "Yeah, a time or two." Cool

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Other than rolling it off the edge some place.
Out in the desert: would be a great place for learning how to drive.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have not driven in sand very much but LOVE to play in the snow.

My wife screams at me every time I slide the car sideways and run down the snowy road like that for quite a distance. Sometimes I'll slide back and forth. Totally fun doing it on a deserted road.

She doesn't understand that practice equates to control in a sticky situation. She needs more practice!

Zeke

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Good one Michael. Hah!

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5099 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZekeShikar:
I have not driven in sand very much but LOVE to play in the snow.

My wife screams at me every time I slide the car sideways and run down the snowy road like that for quite a distance. Sometimes I'll slide back and forth. Totally fun doing it on a deserted road.

She doesn't understand that practice equates to control in a sticky situation. She needs more practice!

Zeke

Years ago on my job we were required to drive in sometimes the very worst weather.

One thing that we did the soonest we could was to find a large empty parking lot---driving and setting up skids and practice getting out of them so that we refamiliarized ourselves how to control the cars in icy/snowy weather!

Hip

Posts: 1822 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In the college days, I had a buddy who told his girlfriend that his dad taught him to drive by dumping a box of kittens in a parking lot + told him he could not leave until he had run over each one. When his dad came down to visit, she asked him if that were true, + he, knowing a joke, told her, of course.

Posts: 4199 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Up until about 1970 there was a 150 ft wide dirt road over a mile long and little traffic.

Amazing how many spins we could get at 50-60 mph on snow pack.

Now it's a 5 lane blvd and traffic's like being on the Interstate.

George

"Gun Control is NOT about Guns'
"It's about Control!!"
Join the NRA today!"

LM: NRA, DAV,

George L. Dwight

Posts: 5943 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: 31 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George, I'm afraid it's like that everywhere these days, I know it is around here. The beauty + simplicity of my rural existence, that was my primary reason to move here in 1970, is being encroached by the ever-increasing cancer of the large cities, + to beat a dead horse, the crime that they commit, is to bring their ways with them, from the things that they left to avoid.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Driving in the desert isn't a "no brainer". We drove with another couple out of Doha, Qatar one day into the desert. We didn't have 4WD, and just street tires. Rather than following the "road" through the dunes when it came to a 90 degree turn, we cut the corner just a little bit. Next thing I knew, there was no bottom to it. We tried everything we could think of to get back on the trace, but just sank deeper and deeper into the soft sand. We would still be there today if it hadn't been for a very nice, old one-eyed Qatari. He stopped, quickly assessed the situation, tied on, and towed us back to a hard bottom. He didn't speak English, and never really acknowledged us. He just did his good deed for the day and went on about his business.

I've driven in snow a lot driving to rigs for twenty years in west Texas. When any pavement is wet with anything, I always disconnect the Traction Control System or ASR all modern vehicles come with. I like being in control of the car, not having some feature for idiots suddenly take over and start vibrating the vehicle like crazy trying to prevent the wheels from slipping. Nothing like following idiots for hours driving 30 mph in rainy or snowy conditions when an experienced driver could easily drive 60. I cut my teeth on icy roads.

Posts: 13772 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just like assholes, there are a LOT of good people out there that will lend a hand when needed. I try to think the positive on those folks. Smiler