Find
Notify
Tools

Howdy, I'm from Texas
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Vemo
posted
A friendly young gal takes her seat on an airplane next to two girls and says, "Hi, I'm from Texas, how bout ya'll?
Her seatmate points her nose in the air and says, "were from where you don't end a sentence with a preposition".
The texas gal says, "OK, where ya'll from, BITCH!"

JOIN SCI!

Posts: 318 | Location: 40N,105W | Registered: 01 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vemo:
A friendly young gal takes her seat on an airplane next to two girls and says, "Hi, I'm from Texas, how bout ya'll?
Her seatmate points her nose in the air and says, "were from where you don't end a sentence with a preposition".
The texas gal says, "OK, where ya'll from, BITCH!"

Need to rephrase that one. "Y'all" ain't a preposition. It's a noun. I think, "Hi, I'm from Texas. Where're y'all from?" would do the trick. Big Grin

Don't mean to pick nits, just want to make it work.

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13675 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
Pronoun. He told the joke wrong.
It should have been, "Hi, I'm from Texas, where ya'll from."

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
Picky

picky

picky

I still laughed! Big Grin dancing

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Their from New Jersey.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ya'll is just a pattern of speech -- the Southern plural of "you". I use it regularly in voir dire as it is a very inclusive term. Folks in the North look at me funny and I have to explain.

Posts: 10383 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:
Ya'll is just a pattern of speech -- the Southern plural of "you". I use it regularly in voir dire as it is a very inclusive term. Folks in the North look at me funny and I have to explain.

contraction of "you all"

Posts: 6725 | Location: central Texas | Registered: 05 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mustbhuntn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SR4759:
Their from New Jersey.

Since we are correcting grammer here- "They're" is the correct form.
No offence intended.

Posts: 322 | Location: Green Forest, Arkansas | Registered: 24 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Swamp_Fox
posted Hide Post
I don't normally critique others grammar but the joke doesn't work if it isn't presented right.

"Policies making areas "gun free" provide a sense of safety to those who engage in magical thinking..." Glenn Harlan Reynolds

Posts: 8696 | Location: MO | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
"Never mess up a good story with too many facts"

I still laughed....

Posts: 265 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cross L:
quote:
Originally posted by lavaca:

contraction of "you all"

It's the southern version of "youse guys" Big Grin

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Damn Ya'll !! Big Grin

Never thought that two words would stir so many, or is it one word?

By God, Woodrow; it's been one hell of a party.

Posts: 44 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
All ya'll can go screw yourselves. Quit nit picking.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pagosawingnut:It's the southern version of "youse guys" Big Grin

Or "you'ns", in northwestern Pennsylvania...

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14631 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'm astounded at how many English teachers read the foul humor on this site. LOL
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I go to texas I get, "Ya'all ain't from around here are ya", a lot

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Round heah ya'll is singular, plural is "all ya'll".

Posts: 2 | Location: Danville, VA | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We'uns here in SW Idaho thought it was hilarious...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
GWN, I beg to differ: "Y'all" is singular, "All Y'all" is plural, and "All Y'all's" is plural possessive!

And "Mommanems" is where you go for Thanksgiving or Christmas...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
casual
cas-u-al
used in a sentence
ya'all need to shut the fuck up casual is pissin' me off

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the correct spelling is y'all and it's pronounced yawl. When one hears you-all, it's usually a yankee trying to pass. stir

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a big problem for students of English as a Foreign Language - no distinction between singular and plural form of the word "you." In most languages, this distinction is.
In Texas, I understand that English is significantly improved.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vashper:
a big problem for students of English as a Foreign Language - no distinction between singular and plural form of the word "you." In most languages, this distinction is.
In Texas, I understand that English is significantly improved.

That's how we see it. Glad y'all see it the same way!

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't see anything but opinions, and they are not correct.

Posts: 1096 | Location: UNITED STATES of AMERTCA | Registered: 29 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We's all 'mericans, y'all.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I currently have a case in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I've been admitted pro hac vice (basically another state allows a lawyer licensed in another state to try a case in a state where they are not admitted as a courtesy), as have all the other lead lawyers in the case, one from Chicago and another from Minneapolis. All the other lawyers, as well as the judge have commented that I "talk funny." Having been born and raised in South Texas, my comment has consistently been that it seems to me that I'm the only one in the case who doesn't talk funny.

Fortunately, I've got a judge with a sense of humour.

Posts: 10383 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
I remember years ago when I had to detour through New York city on an overnight.Went to a bar + I could'nt buy my drinks,they would keep buying them if I would only say something else. Obviously with that incentive my accent improved.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a good friend here in Iowa that was raised in San Angelo, Tx, he has not one trace of a Texas accent...until he starts drinking Big Grin

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWN:
Round heah ya'll is singular, plural is "all ya'll".

Ditto ! dancing

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Actually a Texan never asks where you are from--

If you are from Texas you will tell them, and if you aren't----

IT REALLY DOESN'T MATTER

stir

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
tu2

Posts: 42345 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote