Find
Notify
Tools

Don't be nervious
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In the captain's cabin rat protrudes from ventilation :
"Hey, cap, tell your guys, let tomorrow not particularly nervous.
We'll just tactical exercises!"

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of umzingele
posted Hide Post
Ummmm....Ummmm.....Don't have a flippin clue...lost in translation....

Posts: 265 | Location: Johannesburg, South Africa | Registered: 20 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
andiyazi Big Grin

Posts: 885 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 08 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And what, in English there is a proverb "the rats are the first to flee from the sinking ship"?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh I get it now Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not andiyazi now?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Vashper still andiyazi but enjoying the fun rotflmo WE WANT MORE

one of us
posted Hide Post
I swear to God Vashper, you do this on purpose just to keep us on our toes.

Posts: 13870 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kensco:
I swear to God Vashper, you do this on purpose just to keep us on our toes.

Not without it, of course. In Russian it's called "keep someone in good shape".
But, in addition, it is a bit different perception of humor. This anecdote, like most good Russian anecdotes, is purposed on a)independent intellectual work of the listener and b)the ability to imagine the resulting image, even if it is absurd. "What can be tactical exercises in rats"?. "How related concepts the ship and the rat?". ""Yeah, "the rats are the first to leave a sinking ship"!". Of course, the sailors will panic when, without warning, will see a picture of these rat tactical exercises. Perhaps the difficulty in the perception of this anecdote by English-speaking audience due to the fact that this proverb is not among the common. Or, you may be confused by the phrase "tactical exersize"? In Russia (as, incidentally, in Ukraine) - conscription of citizens. Almost all, one way or another, participated in some exercises and know how to use weapons.
Therefore, NATO General Breedlove instantly became a comic figure, when said of someone, "Oh, it's spetsnaz! They properly hold AK!" Smiler Even generals have to know something about the probable enemy Smiler.
I was surprised that the joke about the elephant escaped from the zoo (he just designed for the ability to imagine a situation), was not immediately understood. Though perhaps Americans are just more honest in their reactions.
But some jokes can be simply translated. For example, I told my wife joke about undue weight and life expectancy of those who says it to women - and she read it a week ago in the free newspaper in subway.

But more than a simple anecdote: "an earthworm sticks out from the ground, and sees near another worm:
"Hello, Vasya!"
"I am not Vasya, I am your ass!".

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Russia is the only country in the world where it's now considered to be showing off to be paid in Ukrainian Hyrivna! jumping

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"In the captain's cabin rat protrudes" a real Classic! Thanks Vashper Wink