Notify
Tools

Living In The South
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted
THINGS I LEARNED LIVING IN THE SOUTH
1. A possum is a flat animal that sleeps in the middle of the road.
2. There are 5,000 types of snakes and 4,998 of them live in the South.
3. There are 10,000 types of spiders. All 10,000 of them live in the South, plus a couple no one's seen before.
4. If it grows, it'll stick ya. If it crawls, it'll bite cha.
5. Onced and Twiced are words.
6. It is not a shopping cart, it is a buggy!
7. Jawl-P? means: Did you all go to the bathroom?
8. People actually grow, eat and like okra.
9. Fixinto is one word. It means I'm going to do something.
10. There is no such thing as lunch. There is only dinner and then there's supper.
11. Iced tea is appropriate for all meals and you start drinking it when you're two. We do like a little tea with our sugar. It is referred to as the Wine of the South.
12. Backwards and forwards means I know everything about you.
13. The word jeet is actually a question meaning, 'Did you eat?'
14. You don't have to wear a watch, because it doesn't matter what time it is, you work until you're done or it's too dark to see.
15. You don't PUSH buttons, you MASH em.
16. Y'all is singular. All Y'all is plural.
17. All the festivals across the state are named after a fruit, vegetable, grain, insect, or animal.
18. You carry jumper cables in your car for your OWN car.
19. You only own five spices: salt, pepper, mustard, Tabasco and ketchup.
20. The local papers cover national and international news on one page, but require 6 pages for local high school sports, the motor sports, and gossip.
21. Everyone you meet is a Honey, Sugar, Miss (first name) or Mr (first name)
22. You think that the first day of deer season is a national holiday.
23. You know what a hissy fit is..
24. Fried catfish is the other white meat.
25. We don't need no dang Driver's Ed. If our mama says we can drive, we can drive!!!
26. You understand these jokes and forward them to your Southern friends and those who just wish they were from the SOUTH.
AND one more:
27. Why did the chicken cross the road? To show that stupid possum that it CAN be done!

Posts: 2038 | Location: Grove,OK. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is supposed to be the humor section. What you stated was facts.

Posts: 69 | Location: Fouke, Ark. | Registered: 06 August 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
R/e # 18. Do you know who the best man at a Mexican wedding is? The guy with the jumper cables.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is supposed to be the humor section. What you stated was facts.

rotflmo Sometimes the facts are humorous! rotflmo clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
First of all, most of this stuff about spiders and snakes could be said about Africa. And anyone that doesn't like okra has a serious problem.

And finally, ya'll is plural, but limited. All ya'll is even more plural. Example: Ya'll Come! means you and your immediate family. All Ya'll Come! means bring all your relations.

Posts: 10382 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I have noticed being a Westerner that I may not be able to understand the language even though it is supposed to be English.

This happens a lot of Texas (not El Paso (actual West Texas)), but in places that people call West Texas like Abilene, Alpine and so on. Of course anyplace else in the South the language is not so degraded (or possibly advanced as Texas). What are you people saying anyway?

I don't know of anyone from the Mid-West, Northeast, New England, or West that understands people from Mississippi and Louisiana, and Cajun's are on a whole different level.

We have every kind of cactus, 6 kinds of poisonous snake, 3 kinds of scorpions, black widows, brown recluses, wolf spiders, camel spiders and tarantulas. We also have centipedes, Africanized bees, wolves, goat head thorns and at 5000 feet the sun beats down here with a little more intensity in the summer. I live in the Chihuauan desert and in the Mojave they have temps over 100 for 5-7 months in a row.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been itten by a black widow + a brown recluse. In the case of the widow, I was scared + drove myself to the E.R. from the job ,only to be told that unless you are allergic, no worries. In the recluse case, I went to y Doctor + he had a new female assistant to check out everything. I had a bite on my leg above my knee + when she asked me to drop my pants ( I don't wear underwear) she dropped to her knees to look at the bite + said "OH,MY GOD!" + then said it again, at which point although I was a bit concerned my humorous nature kicked in + I couldn't help it I had to say " Thanks but now can I turn around + show you the spider bite?"

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
“And anyone that doesn't like okra has a serious problem”

I started working in Texas about 10 years back. At age 40, I had never heard of it. My friend cooked some and I gave it a go. I have no idea how one could enjoy this. I guess I’m a boring person....

Now, with that said, the Texan’s have us beat in about every other category!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aw, c'mon Jason, you don't like tadpole eggs? Wink

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jason, how was it cooked? Boiled or fried? Boiled---yuk fried is pretty good.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, battered + deep fried is pretty good, if you do it boiled you need a lot of ro-tel tomato sauce to go with it. It is a staple of gumbo though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You know, that just reminded me of Phil Harris singing "And That's what I like About the South". CLASSIC!

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carpetman1:
Jason, how was it cooked? Boiled or fried? Boiled---yuk fried is pretty good.

It was fried.

I’ll tell you one thing. You Texans sure know how to cook good sides. My idea of a “side” is a salad, maybe some potatoes. Texans have 3 or 4!

Posts: 2663 | Location: Utah | Registered: 23 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before "Threadgills World Headquarters" closed down last year due to the covid (most restaurants didn't make it) they had a side of spinach + swiss casserole that I ordered every time regardless of the entree.

one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted Hide Post
Here in N.E. Oklahoma: A Meal Is Not Complete Without a Side Of Fried Dill Pickles!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shad roe with Virginia ham and hash brown potatoes are a staple in the Chesapeake Bay region of Virginia where I live. Also salt herring for breakfast with eggs and grits.

Posts: 259 | Location: Williamsburg, VA | Registered: 27 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mark:

Well Bless Her Heart,Her Cord Doesn't Reach The Outlet.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Big Grin