Find
Notify
Tools

Little Known Naval History
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
LITTLE KNOWN NAVAL HISTORY..........

The U.S.S. Constitution (Old Ironsides), as a combat vessel, carried 48,600 gallons of fresh water for her crew of 475 officers and men. This was sufficient to last six months of sustained operations at sea. She carried no evaporators (i.e. fresh water distillers!).

However, let it be noted that according to her ship's log, "On July 27, 1798, the U.S.S.Constitution sailed from Boston with a full complement of 475 officers and men, 48,600 gallons of fresh water, 7,400 cannon shot, 11,600 pounds of black powder and 79,400 gallons of rum."

Her mission: "To destroy and harass English shipping."

Making Jamaica on 6 October, she took on 826 pounds of flour and 68,300 gallons of rum.

Then she headed for the Azores , arriving there 12 November. She provisioned with 550 pounds of beef and 64,300 gallons of Portuguese wine.

On 18 November, she set sail for
England. In the ensuing days she defeated five British men-of-war and captured and scuttled 12 English merchant ships, salvaging only the rum aboard each.

By 26 January, her powder and shot were exhausted. Nevertheless, although unarmed she made a night raid up the Firth of Clyde inScotland. Her landing party captured a whisky distillery and transferred 40,000 gallons of single malt Scotch aboard by dawn. Then she headed home.

The U.S.S. Constitution arrived in Boston on 20 February, 1799, with no cannon shot, no food, no powder, no rum, no wine, no whisky, and 38,600 gallons of water.

GO NAVY!!!

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
475 men
210 days trip

79400 gal rum
68300 gal rum
64300 gal wine
40000 gal whisky

So
187700 gal liquor and 64300 gal wine equals

1.88 gal/7.1liter liquor and 0.64gal/2.4liter wine per day.
Nah thats too thick shocker

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well you would have to allow some for spillage. Probably very common at that level of use. And there were Marines on board

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun1:
Well you would have to allow some for spillage. Probably very common at that level of use. And there were Marines on board

This reply is funnier than the joke. thumb

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mousegun1:
Well you would have to allow some for spillage.

The worst form of alcohol abuse there is!!! Big Grin

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I figger if there was more than just one squad of Marines on board, the Swabbies must have been drinking milk! They clearly didn't use much water, and the Gyrenes wouldn't have had any extra booze to let the kiddies drink. patriot
knife beer rotflmo stir

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
An old man was sitting in my office one day and a young client of mine was in there bragging about how much whiskey he drank each day.

The old man ask: Say sonny you think you drink a lot of whiskey?

Young man: Hell yeah I do!

Old man: How much you figure you drink each day?

Young'n: At least a 5th.

Old man: Hell kid...I spill more than that before dinner!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37875 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Churchill quipped when head of the Admiralty in the teens,"the only tradition of the royal navy is rum,sodomy,+ the cat o' 9 tails".

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4391 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote