Find
Notify
Tools

The origin of SPAM
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted
Have you ever wondered where the terms spam, spamming, and spammer originated?

It all goes back to this 1970 Monte Python sketch.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you hurry, you might still be able to make it to spam days or spamarama-----both held in spam's home town Austin, MN
No, I am not Joking. A buddy of mine married a girl from there. His Dad came home from the wedding w/ T-shirts !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Yes the "Stuff Posing As Meat" is old but MP made (unvillingly) the connection to crap galore in your mail box.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In fact, Spam is appreciated in Korea, Hawaii and likely other places. It is commonly given as a wedding gift. Why? Because during the war (WWII or Korea, not sure which) meat was scarce and Uncle Sam used lots of Spam. Some of it apparently wandered off base and became popular.

I kinda like the stuff, at least the type that comes in a can.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
SPAM is still very popular in Asia.

But I was talking about the origin of the term SPAM as it applies to emails, forum posters, etc.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted Hide Post
Bacon Flavored Spam And Scrambled Eggs Are a Favorite Of Mine!! tu2

Posts: 2038 | Location: Grove,OK. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Moremonte:
Bacon Flavored Spam And Scrambled Eggs Are a Favorite Of Mine!! tu2

Prefer my Spam dipped in egg, then bread crumbs. Wink Still the best "luncheon meat" out there.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My father served in north Africa during war 2 went in on one of the first boats and apparently fed Spam as part of their rations. He hated the stuff and would let you know just what he thought of it. I think it had to do with working with the Brits and sharing mess supplies.

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1511 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
True story that. The lads who started the internet business were in college then + watching Monty Python...really! As to Spamarama here in Austin we still have it;a real debauchery.Spam tosses,etc. ad nauseum.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can get Spam & eggs in McDonalds in Hawaii.

LORD, let my bullets go where my crosshairs show.
Not all who wander are lost.
NEVER TRUST A FART!!!
Cecil Leonard

Posts: 2786 | Location: Northeast Louisianna | Registered: 06 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gary Lawson, Creator of the twisted cartoon---The Far Side---even appreciated Spam and came up w/ such classics as
Spamalopes and
Spamshiners !
Great twisted humor !

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Wasn't SPAM on toast Shit on a Shingle in WWII?
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
No. SOS was dried "chipped" beef gravy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
My son tells me that Hawaii eats more Spam than any place else. He also says the Hawaiians and the various asians know about a zillion different ways to fix Spam.
I like it as a sandwich meat and as posted, dipped in egg, rolled in flour, and fried along with a few eggs for breakfast. Make a little gravy with the pan leavings to go over the scratch biscuits just coming out of the oven. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
spam makes great sandwich spread too.. i have one of those old cast meat grinders with the crank on it... i use it now and then to grind spam and add some white dressing and a couple of pickles gound up in it season to taste and spread it on bread......

good stuff.....

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin