New
Find
Notify
Tools

question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
what did our parents do in their spare time before the internet?
i asked my 10 brothers and sisters but they didn't know either

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I get it :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
20 plus years ago we had an ice storm that took down power lines + iced all the roads. Nobody was going anywhere. We were without power for 4 days, some were out for 2 weeks. It was no big deal for me, I have wood stoves, cook with gas + have 2 propane lanterns mounted on the wall at the top of the stairs + above the cooking stove. The kids, however, we're going through the D.T.'s because with no electricity they were out of luck with their video games, so I just told stories.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
so I just told stories.

I'll bet the kids were praying for the power to come back on!

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DocEd:
quote:
so I just told stories.

I'll bet the kids were praying for the power to come back on!

rotflmo

Posts: 1230 | Location: Saugerties, New York | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They sure were! However, I don't think it has ever hurt a child by listening to Kipling by candlelight.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh, I thought you were spinning some of your old "Texas Windies", not reading Kipling.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, Ed, I'll admit that I can tell a good tale as well as another but I do own all the classics + reading them to my children then + my grandchildren now I think is paramount to the foundation of a good education. Heaven knows they aren't getting it in the schools. But get me started on school taxes; you'd better bring your lunch. The kids are getting a substandard education but the schools are more concerned on being ostentatious is physical appearance rather than spending the money on the teachers + curriculum. Oh, that's right, all that extra $$$$ goes to the administrators. This is true; I know too many people in the network that all admit this is true. I can see it 1st hand here in our new high school. They passed an 84 million bond AFTER it was voted down. They spent the 1st money on a new football stadium, then raises for the top echelon + when the smoke cleared in the new school, the kids had no lockers. So now they want to pass another bond to blah, blah, blah. You might have noticed that the powers that be squandering money that should be spent on education + NOT being more concerned with a 4A football team is a pet peeve of mine.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Big Grin