THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    India: Killer Leopard Preying on Drunks
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

India: Killer Leopard Preying on Drunks
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted

Posts: 6433 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cat has got taste... Marinated from the inside, they're yummier! Big Grin

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Since Corbett has been gone,no doubt events have escalated.We seem to have the same problem here in central Texas in regards to the coyotes.Not man eaters,they are still a problem

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The leopard situation in India unfortunately is a very sad story, for the leopard. The exploding population of Indians and the poor protection of game reserves (and preserves) has allowed millions of Indian poor to encroach into areas they are supposed to stay out of. The result has been "man-eating" leopards trying to live in peace and Indians moving into their habitat permanently. In 2005 there were over a dozen "man-eating" leopards killed in the outskirts of Mumbai to protect slum dwellers who had moved into game preserves illegally.

I would prefer to read stories about leopard-killing peasants being tracked-down and shot.

Corbett killed enough, then saw that the game he loved needed protection. I think if he were alive today he would be sick about what the Indians have done to their tigers and leopards.

Posts: 13805 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Agreed. In fact, there have been and are almost no successful long term programs in the world to help out leopards and tigers these days. Russia did have a good program until about two years ago, but now it is being fragmented and disabled by lack of funding.

Both leopards and tigers are highly intelligent animals which do think, plan, recognize cause and effect, and recognize humans as direct predatory competitors in their environment. Their normal & traditional behavior is a "You're operating in my territory, but I won't mess with you if you don't mess with me" attitude.

But people are messing with them big time...destroying their habitat, killing the game they must have to eat, and directly trying to kill or harm them, taking the "turf" where for eons they have been the unchallenged territorial "boss". So, just like we all would do, they become revengeful when harmed, and take to finding whatever food they can to eat...including humans.

I'd much rather see a billon less people on this planet and a million more each of tigers and leopards (called "panthers" in much of India).

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote