New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anzac Day
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I suppose I should have put this post on some "politics" website but it happens that I feel that I have gotten to know a few Aussies even if we never have met, thanks to the miracle of the internet and despite a distance of half a world away. I feel this because we have laughed together. I am not laughing at Saeed's reminder for us Yanks that today is Anzac Day. As a reader of history, I can criticize the awful blunders made by generals and admirals at Gallipoli and at Singapore in a later war but no one can question the sheer courage of the Australians and New Zealanders. I knew men who served in New Guinea in WW2 with Aussie infantry. (a very nasty little part of the war in a remote part of the Pacific theater that few even heard of then and certainly long forgotten now) In the words of an old poem: " Heroes of old, we salute your graves again. The deeds you wrought were not in vain".

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of darwinmauser
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerry. thumb

It's mercy, compassion and forgiveness I lack; not rationality.

Posts: 2414 | Location: Humpty Doo NT Australia | Registered: 18 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank's Gerry, for the kind words, but remember tomorrow it's back to hammering

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote