New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baseball Was Their Life
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Two youngsters from Kansas grew-up together. They joined T-Ball together at six years old, then progressed into Little League together. They played American Legion Baseball on the same team, and spent all their spare time living and breathing baseball. One was a star pitcher with a 100 mph fastball, and the other was an equally impressive catcher who hit for power.

After going to the same university and playing college ball together, they both even made it to the major leagues and had fine careers, eventually playing together again on the same team.

They were having dinner one evening during the off-season and one of the men, the all-star catcher, acknowledged that he had not been feeling well and had just gotten a pretty tough prognosis from his doctor. He was given less than six months to live. He said he would announce his retirement in the next few days.

His friend, shocked to hear the news, said, "Hell, I'll announce my retirement too. It won't be any fun pitching without you behind the plate." And that is exactly what they did.

A few months later the second friend went to see his buddy as they both knew his time was near.

After chatting and reminiscing for a good while the second friend was kidding around and asked his dying buddy, "Why don't you give me a call after you settle in, in heaven, and let me know how you're doing. They both laughed and in a tired voice the sick friend promised he would."

A few weeks later the second friend found himself at his buddy's funeral. He sat in silence remembering all the great times they had playing baseball together, and he knew he was going to miss their baseball discussions.

After he had driven home, his cell phone rang. He recognized the voice immediately. He couldn't speak. His dead friend reminded him that he promised he would call. He told his friend not to worry or mourn his death. He said, in his joking way, that he had good news and bad news. His friend asked, "What is the good news?"

His dead friend said, "you get your young body back, and we play baseball all the time. I absolutely love it here." Then he paused.

"What's the bad news?", asked his friend.

"The bad news is you're pitching on Sunday."

Posts: 13780 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Moremonte
posted Hide Post
clap shocker

Posts: 2024 | Location: Grove,OK. | Registered: 20 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dancing

Posts: 4230 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Eeker Eeker rotflmo