THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    How would you handle this ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How would you handle this ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted
http://www.liveleak.com/ll_embed?f=f9132a37d604

Shovel ready.....
but hangin' on

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Well, the ranger did it and survived but I think I would have use a 30-'06 and eaten well.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The moose better damn well send him a thank-you note.

Posts: 2827 | Location: Seattle, in the other Washington | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pretty sharp warden... he could tell that moose was exhausted, and the antlers were still velvet, so rounded and probably not a whole lot of threat.

I applaud him doing the right thing. Probably a true highlight of his career, something he will remember and revel on from now on.

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
Pretty sharp warden... he could tell that moose was exhausted, and the antlers were still velvet, so rounded and probably not a whole lot of threat.

I applaud him doing the right thing. Probably a true highlight of his career, something he will remember and revel on from now on.
tu2

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
I used to guide for moose in Alberta. Didn't last too long at it...just a couple of years.

Felt thoroughly ashamed of myself for killing animals which hadn't done a damned thing to me except to try to make it through each of their days as best they could, just like you and I.

I'll never forget one in particular...a young fella, maybe 2-1/2 years old. Guided the client up to within maybe 15 yards of him. then the dude gut-shot him with his .303 and the moose plunged into the bush.

I told the flippin' dummy not to move a muscle and not to shoot at anything or I'd shoot him; I'd go find his moose for him.

The woods were quite dense right there, so I eased my way into them and maybe 50 yards later passed him where he had laid down, very sick, under a couple of small conifers, trying to both recover from the terrible pain and to hide. since I knew how to track moose pretty well, I kept checking behind me to see if one was pulling the "let me pass" trick, and I spotted him.

He was hurting enough he let me walk back to within 10 yards of him head-on. And I could see the beseeching look in his eyes. He was literally begging me not to hurt him any more.

But, as he could not have gotten to water or food...hell he couldn't even try to get up...I had to put him out of his misery. Either he would have died (eventually) of his wound, or the wolves would have found him after dark.

I had one more client booked, took him, and never hunted moose again in my life.

I applaud the young warden for doing God's work...helping look after our fellow creatures.

Hunting, if required for food, doesn't bother me. Neither does killing for protection of one's self or others. Killing as entertainment does.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
Would have tasted nasty though...

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BNagel:
Would have tasted nasty though...

yep that's what i thought too..... an old friend of mine will not take a food animal if has been running or scared.... the adenilin makes meat taste bad............................

democrat or american your choice.....................

One of Us
Picture of TANGLEWOOD
posted Hide Post
Exhausted critter and trained CO.

If I had a tag I would have had to measure him before I got my long bow. LOL

GREAT VIDEO ON HOW TO DEAL WITH

SITUATION

Posts: 63 | Location: Kentucky  | Registered: 14 May 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
The harvesting of game should always be done with respect. At least enough respect to kill quickly and humanely as possible and then to make use of as much of the animal as you can to eliminate waste. Hunting has always been a spiritual outing and unless I feel the animal is presenting itself to feed me I don't shoot. When I do shoot I make certain that the shot will kill humanely. It should be the most humane way that a wild animal can die. I don't believe in "Texas heart shots" and will not shoot unless I have a clear shot. I have watched many animals walk away because I couldn't get my "proper" shot but I never regretted letting them go.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
CO took a risk at what he did, but was successful at getting it done! tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hunting has always been a spiritual outing and unless I feel the animal is presenting itself to feed me I don't shoot.

So Paul, in your first post you state you would have taken your '06 and eaten well; this post says "unless the animal is presenting itself to feed me I don't shoot". Hmmmm...

So had it been you instead of the Conservation Offier, would you have considered the moose as "presenting itself to feed you"? If so, I don't understand your thought process at all...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doubless:
quote:
Hunting has always been a spiritual outing and unless I feel the animal is presenting itself to feed me I don't shoot.

So Paul, in your first post you state you would have taken your '06 and eaten well; this post says "unless the animal is presenting itself to feed me I don't shoot". Hmmmm...

So had it been you instead of the Conservation Offier, would you have considered the moose as "presenting itself to feed you"? If so, I don't understand your thought process at all...

My comment was an off-the-cuff joke. No hunter I would associate with would have shot a trapped animal in somebodies back yard.

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
Bravo to the officer! Risky but successful feat. We should all be so lucky!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13667 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To me the hunt doesn't get spiritual until I'm siting at the table with a plate full of meat and taters with pan gravy overall. Oh yeah, and a couple of dozen sourdough biscuits for soppin'.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote