New
Find
Notify
Tools
Going down hill
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am disgusted with the direction the popular culture has taken. Most everything that is supposed to be funny on television today has something to do with excrement, oral sex, underwear, genitals, breasts, rectums, homosexuality, or cross-dressing. That goes for prime time TV, late night, and "childrens TV" (the crap on Nickelodeon). TV writers used to get laughs when somebody got hit in the head. Nowadays, he must get hit in the balls.

There are shows I'd let my kids watch if it weren't for the gratuitous sex references. For instance, I like "Everybody Loves Raymond", but how much does it really add to the show when every other episode, Ray suggests that he and Deborah have sex? After the second or third time you see it, just about nothing, except it makes the show unsuitable for children. I can't name anything on prime time broadcast TV that is suitable for children, other than sports programs. Maybe "The Simpsons". Maybe "Malcolm in the Middle". Certainly not "Futurama", which is a trash heap of sex and excrement jokes.

I also don't remember TV commercials being perverted and annoying like they are today. I used to kind of enjoy watching the commercials. I don't want to watch some unshaven college student swishing Listerine in his cheeks getting ready to spit, or a prancing obvious homosexual looking for the real Mr. Goodwrench. Kids commercials are the worst. How about the Burger King commercial where a cartoon character comes on the scene with his ray gun and zaps the kid's mother, leaving only the kid and his cartoon friend jumping for joy?

Okay, Sprint has some good commercials.

I am more sure than ever I'm not going to get cable, and when TV goes all digital, I'm done.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001
one of us
posted Hide Post
They finally got TV in West Virginia?

Posts: 68 | Location: Fond du Lac, Wisconsin | Registered: 24 February 2003
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Docknboatlift:
They finally got TV in West Virginia?

Yeah buddy. The WV state tree is a satellite dish. We get by with rabbit ears at our house. We only get ABC and Fox clearly. If everybody sits in the right place and I balance the rabbit ears on the back of the couch, we can get NBC clearly enough to watch a tennis match, and we recently got PAX, probably a leakge signal from the cable company. Mostly infomercials and low-budget bad movies.

H. C.

one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Why are you sitting in the house [Confused]

I was just out in Petersburg not to long ago and the last thing on my mind was TV. I agree the tube has gone stale but you should be out in the wild instead of on the couch. The problem is that too many people sit on their fat butts watching TV instead of enjoying nature. Go out and fish! If you don't fish maybe take a hike. If your legs don't work take a ride to someplace. If your car does not work then ride a horse. GET OUT OF THE HOUSE.

Out To The Grill
Turtle [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
H.C.

Toss the tube in the dumpster.

All the sewer lines in my house lead AWAY from the house.

Think of all the things you could accomplish if you had all the TV hours back....

Life's too short...

[Cool]

Rick.
(Haven't had a TV in the house for 48 years.)

Posts: 1099 | Location: Apex, NC, US | Registered: 09 November 2001
<DaveH>
posted
BBTurtle,
next time you are going to be down this way. Winchester,Va. let me know. Maybe we can meet for lunch. What were you doing in Petersburg, if I may ask without being rude....

one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
DaveH -
I like to small mouth fish the area [Smile] . The Smoke Hole is quite a place to relax and Petersburg has some inexpensive lodging. I should be going there again in September so I'll let you know when.

BTTS
T [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I cancelled my cable 4 months ago, because since my separation, I found I was watching it MAYBE 5 hours a week, and even then, there was nothing on but garbage.

I have not missed it one bit. Instead, I've spent time reading, listening to music, checking out Accurate Reloading, reloading, and doing more groundhog hunting than I've done in the last 20 years, combined.

Life is good!!! [Smile]

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
We only get ABC and Fox clearly.

Well, I guess that explains it. If all I had was Rupert Murdoch and Michael Eisner's Disney empire spewing their trash into my living room, I'd feel exactly the same way.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001
one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Well I got ALL excited watching the outdoors channel the other day... [Embarrassed]

Besides that, there is rarely a show or channel that doesn't piss me off...

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by The LSG:
Well I got ALL excited watching the outdoors channel the other day... [Embarrassed]

Besides that, there is rarely a show or channel that doesn't piss me off...

Excited [Eek!] It wasn't the bike racing was it [Eek!] You haven't got a thing for Lance [Eek!]

OMG [Eek!] !!

I'm Running To The Stove
Turtle [Cool]

one of us
Picture of Stryker225
posted Hide Post
Who's Lance? [Confused]

Are you implying that I like wummins with guy-ish names? [Big Grin]

I watched for the gun/hunting stuff. Can't see that on most channels... This dude set a record for biggest mountain goat with a muzzle loader or something like that.

We don't have cable in my house so that's like the second time ever that I got to see those. =/

Posts: 1282 | Location: here | Registered: 26 January 2002
one of us
Picture of BBTURTLE
posted Hide Post
Sorry -
You kind of creeped me out for a minute or two. I'm better now [Wink] .

Think I'll have a cup of warm milk
Turtle [Cool]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HenryC470:
I can't name anything on prime time broadcast TV that is suitable for children, other than sports programs.

Sports programs???? You let your kids watch sports programs???? That is worse then Everybody Loves Raymond! You allow your kids to watch the drug addicted, gang members who are on probation for sexual assault and drunk driving????

Ok, OK, not all professional athletes are gang members or on probation. Very few gang members play hockey and a few golfers haven't yet been convicted.

I do agree with you though, TV is pathetic. I have 100 channels on the dish and many, many nights I am stuck watching reruns or the rerun movie of the month. If I have to watch Jaws or The Terminator one more time I will terminate the television all together

Posts: 108 | Location: Henderson, NV | Registered: 13 January 2003
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Where did I get the idea that this the "humour" forum? derf

Posts: 3450 | Location: Aldergrove,BC,Canada | Registered: 22 February 2003
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The reasons listed are why I seldom watch anything but Nat'l Geographic, the History Channel, of Wings.

They can take their sit coms and stuff them. I can find more entertainment in watching my grass grow.

I read a lot. Here I can control the subject matter.

The only tube I watch is the internet. Here my imagination is the limit TV's value for me has decreased about 70% the last few years. Hard to even rent a movie worth watching...at least one I haven't seen 9 times before.

By the way, does anyone remember the last good western movie they made? I grew up on a Saturday western movie every week. [Frown]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002
one of us
Picture of 308winchester
posted Hide Post
Isn't this the humor sektion??

And by the way, trow the tv out. You get all the important news on radio.

Johan

Posts: 1082 | Location: Middle-Norway (Veterinary student in Budapest) | Registered: 20 March 2002
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I really watch very little TV, maybe 3 hours a week. Granted that's 3 hours too many. I'll often stay up untill 11:00 and watch an "Everybody Loves Raymond" episode with my wife, and on Sundays, I do watch "This Week Without Sam & Cokie" on ABC to see what the Left are thinking.

I do think that TV writers have run out of decent material to use. I am digusted that they have to use material from the sewer pipes in order to convince people to watch.

At times, I think the world must think Americans are a bunch of perverted infants who will only laugh if the joke involves genitals, breasts, or excrement. Then I remember that's exactly the impression I had of the British when I first saw their programs on public television. I have a friend that travels to Germany on business, and he says German television is ten times as perverted as ours.

H. C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by derf:
Where did I get the idea that this the "humour" forum? derf

Here you go derf.
What do you do with an elephant with three balls
Walk him and pitch to the hippo [Big Grin]

Back The The Bowl
Birman [Razz]

Posts: 515 | Location: The fields of Delaware but now Pa too | Registered: 04 June 2003
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't get that a tall. So now besides being homely and pathetic looking the little mug is retarded?? YOTES,where are you,I thought you were going to look after this little hairball. derf [Big Grin]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'VE BEEN WATCHING THE FOX NEWS CHANNEL LATELY. I KINDA LIKE THE O'REILLY FACTOR. I HAVEN'T HEARD HIS STANCE ON GUN OWNERSHIP YET THO. DOES ANY KNOW WHAT IT IS?I LIKE WHAT HE HAS TO SAY ABOUT A LOT OF THINGS.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill O'Reily has never really voiced a prersonal opinion for or against gun control in the 3 years I have been watching him. During this time we have witnessed the Columbine shooting and many others. He has had many guest speakers for gun control and many against such as Wayne La Pierre of the NRA on his show. This is one of the few topics that he has not shown his personal feelings for. Given his conservative nature and strong opposition to bigger/more federal government, I suspect that he supports private firearm ownership.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I said, I don't get cable, but the few times I've seen O'Reilly's show, I've found it entertaining. O'Reilly is no conservative, though, according to someone who has watched him more closely than I have:

"Fox News personality Bill O'Reilly is denounced as "conservative" by people who believe the nation's newsrooms accurately reflect the political spectrum. O'Reilly is anti-death penalty and pro-gun control, believes in 'global warming,' and thought Elian Gonzales should go back to Cuba--not positions generally associated with the Republican Party. Indeed, O'Reilly's only manifest conservative credential is that he strongly disapproves of hucksters and liars."

Ann Coulter in "Slander, Liberal Lies About the American Right" p. 62 (hard cover edition), Crown Publishers, New York, 2002.

H. C.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Derf, Yotes got recalled sorta. He'll be back soon.

Birman, what do you do with Ninga Princess that has a crossbow in one hand and a Ron-co-matic food processor in the other? [Confused] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
I spend the time that i USED to watch tv either on this thing or outside. TV has become a waste of "reality" (really lack of reality) shows and other stupid shit. Just makes me wanna shoot more varmints!! [Big Grin] BTW, is it deer season yet??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DigitalDan:
Derf, Yotes got recalled sorta. He'll be back soon.

Birman, what do you do with Ninga Princess that has a crossbow in one hand and a Ron-co-matic food processor in the other? [Confused] [Eek!] [Big Grin]

I don't know..........what [Confused]
How come derf didn't get my joke [Confused]
They have baseball in Canada right [Confused]

Back To My Bowl
Birman [Razz]

Posts: 515 | Location: The fields of Delaware but now Pa too | Registered: 04 June 2003
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
By the way, does anyone remember the last good western movie they made? I grew up on a Saturday western movie every week. [Frown]

Quigley, Down Under. [Big Grin]

Isn't Tom Selleck coming out with another western, soon?

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001
one of us
posted Hide Post
How about the Quick and the Dead?
I saw all these guys shooting each other [Smile] .
The woman was nice too [Wink] .
I also liked it when Engish Bob got his rear handed to him [Smile] .

Back To My Bowl
Birman [Razz]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ann Coulter knows her stuff. If she says it or wrote it, you can believe it.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Birman; I must be pretty dense because just before reading your last post I finally got that joke. And the answer,I suspect to Dans question,would be Li. You may have become slightly confused by the misspelling of "Ninja".lol derf

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by derf:
Birman; I must be pretty dense because just before reading your last post I finally got that joke. And the answer,I suspect to Dans question,would be Li. You may have become slightly confused by the misspelling of "Ninja".lol derf

Its ok derf [Smile] . You must be blonde too [Wink] .
I need some milk on the rocks [Smile]

Back To The Bowl
Birman [Razz]

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not blonde,bald. Actually all of my hair caved in and came out on my face. [Big Grin] derf

one of us
posted Hide Post
HenryC470
Man you must be getting old. Your probably almost as old as I am. Five years ago I just couldn't take TV anymore with all the stupid commercials and idiot shows. Can you believe that someone has to look at this crap and say "Yes lets put this show on TV". Where are their brains, sense of good taste or even common sense?
The really sad thing is, there is enough people that do watch. We don't matter.
Sorry for the rant,
David

Posts: 113 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 28 February 2002
one of us
posted Hide Post
IT'S REALLY TOO BAD THAT HOLLYWIERD IS SO FULL OF RICH QUERES. THEY PUT THAT CRAP ON LIKE IT'S SOME KIND OF ACCEPTABLE LIFESTYLE.

one of us
posted Hide Post
OOPS I MEANT RICH QUEERS..............

one of us
posted Hide Post
TV in WV ,i guess sunshine is next.