New
Find
Notify
Tools

Televangelists
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got no use for them, yet there must be a ton of people that make them rich. John Oliver goes after them. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y1xJAVZxXg

Posts: 13821 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scum of the Earth, praying on the vulnerable. A lot have political connections to the highest level of government as well. One of the US dirty secrets.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1631 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Indeed! I remember Lenny Bruce doing a routine in the early 60s called "Religion Inc." One night in a cheap dive motel 3 con men were down to a half a pack of cigarettes, + a drink each left in the bottle of bourbon + not sure what they were going to do; when one of them opens the nightstand drawer + pulls out the Gideons bible + he says "Hey, Oral, there's money here."And you're right about the scum of the earth. I do not include Billy Graham in that category as I think that he was a man who truly believed in God + bringing others to His grace with no self interest.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Indeed! I remember Lenny Bruce doing a routine in the early 60s called "Religion Inc." One night in a cheap dive motel 3 con men were down to a half a pack of cigarettes, + a drink each left in the bottle of bourbon + not sure what they were going to do; when one of them opens the nightstand drawer + pulls out the Gideons bible + he says "Hey, Oral, there's money here."And you're right about the scum of the earth. I do not include Billy Graham in that category as I think that he was a man who truly believed in God + bringing others to His grace with no self interest.

I'm not a believer, but Billy Graham was an ethical man and there was never a hint of scandal around him. Even the queen of England saw fit to have a conversation with him.

Grizz

When the horse has been eliminated, human life may be extended an average of five or more years.
James R. Doolitle

I think they've been misunderstood. Timothy Tredwell

Posts: 1631 | Location: Central Alberta, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2019Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
back in the '60's my granny lived next door to us... she watched all the televangelists on sunday before and after her regular church service... and sent them $$... one day my stepmother answered granny's phone while she was visiting... one of the televangelists moochers was calling with an "emergency" where they needed more $$....my stepmother lit into them, and the calls quit for a while... but they were persistent and unethical... granny finally "lost " her checkbook to keep her frm the moochers... "they want you to send your money to the Lord, but they give you their address"... was never more true...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a Maintenance Supt. that worked for me once. His mother lived in a trailer on his property. My MS's wife found a bunch of mail from televangelists and saw many checks had been written. They had to "lose" her checkbook as well. Most older people are softhearted and want to help. The televangelists prey on that type of "weakness".

Every so often, when I'm bored, I'll stop on one of their TV programs (I like good gospel music.) and wind-up listening to their con for a while. It is amazing to me that anyone believes anything they say, but there is a fool born every minute.

Posts: 13821 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Where do you think politicians learn their chops?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3821 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Did you know that OJ Simpson is going to heaven it’s called linebacker heaven where every peewee football defensive back will be able to make a stunning bone jarring tackle on him and then it’s get and do it again.
Since this money was intended to do the Lords work, I see them having to pay every cent back at hard labor with unreasonable interest rates.

Posts: 41 | Location: CUCAMONGA CALIFORNIA USA | Registered: 27 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You remember the scene in "High Plains Drifter" where Clint throws everybody out of the hotel + tells the local preacher that they aren't my brothers, you put them up. To which the good reverend replies to the multitude, "You can stay at my place for the same going rate as the hotel."

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
tu2to all of the comments made!

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
The Good Book says one can buy the truth but it can't be sold. I would hate to be one of these shit evangelists on judgement day and have to explain my actions. I don't know the current crop of religious charletians but I do remember Jim and Tammy Fay Baker. And Jim Swaggart crying his eyes out. Remember Reverend Ike from New York?

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jimmy Swaggart crying always reminded me of that scene from "Gone With The Wind" when Scarlett says she's sorry + Rhett says "You're not sorry for doing it. You're sorry you got caught." And yes Cal, there is a higher court + the RULES are that when EVERY ship leaves port, all bills are paid.