Find
Notify
Tools

My Gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
Today I swung my front door wide open and placed my Remington 30.06 right in the doorway. I left 6 shells beside it, then left it alone and went about my business.

While I was gone, the mailman delivered my mail, the neighbor boy across the street mowed the yard, a girl walked her dog down the street, and quite a few cars stopped at the stop sign near the front of our house.

After about an hour, I checked on the gun. It was still sitting there, right where I had left it. It hadn't moved itself outside. It certainly hadn't killed anyone, even with the numerous opportunities it had been presented to do so.

In fact, it hadn't even loaded itself. Well you can imagine my surprise, with all the media hype about how dangerous guns are and how they kill people.

Either the media is wrong or I'm in possession of the laziest gun in the world.

Well, I'm off to check on my spoons. I hear they're making people fat.

Posts: 1085 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
nvmichael,

It is a well known fact that Remington rifles in general are quite docile and passive. The .30-06 breed has become quite domesticated over the years.

I think that if you had done the same thing with one of the more recent, melanistic hybrids you would find that they have a much more aggressive disposition. These guns are quite prone to violent behavior when their owner is not properly registered and and the gun itself is not muzzled by a proper magazine restriction.

No... I'm not serious here. If one gun is acceptable then the next gun should logically also be acceptable. Condemning a gun because of its potential is as smart as condemning a woman for prostitution because of her potential. A young, single, attractive woman has more potential than an 80 year old grandmother thus the younger woman should be banned/registered. I know you cannot fight emotion, in a mindless mass, by employing logic and reason.

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
eleeton,thanks,I liked that. Reminded me of the cowboy who came into town after working fence + had a set of pliers in his back pocket. Sheriff arrested him for fence cutting + rustling. He say's I did'nt do any of those things. The Magistrate says ,well you had the tools for it. He says then you might as well arrest me for rape too.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe that if you had spray painted the stock black, added a pistol grip, and maybe altered it to take a detachable magazine that things may have been different...

Unfortunately there are those who will 'sell out' such rifles in the hope that by sacrificing the rights of others that they will protect there own.

There can be no compromise with gun rights...as we have found to our cost in the UK as, like a salami sausage, slice by slice our gun rights were taken away from us.

And each time those not directly affected, for the most part, were OK because it was nly happening to 'people that didn't use the sort of guns that we do...'

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
I believe that if you had spray painted the stock black, added a pistol grip, and maybe altered it to take a detachable magazine that things may have been different...

Unfortunately there are those who will 'sell out' such rifles in the hope that by sacrificing the rights of others that they will protect there own.

There can be no compromise with gun rights...as we have found to our cost in the UK as, like a salami sausage, slice by slice our gun rights were taken away from us.

And each time those not directly affected, for the most part, were OK because it was nly happening to 'people that didn't use the sort of guns that we do...'

When they came for the Jews I didn't protest because I am Christian.

When they came for the gays I didn't protest because I am straight.

When they came for the blacks I didn't protest because I am white.

When they came for the straight white Christians there was no one left to protest for me.

We can stand together or we can fall apart.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote