New
Find
Notify
Tools

Old Soviet anecdote
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Old Soviet anecdote about the factory worker who would load up a wheelbarrow full of scrap items each day and wheel it out past the guard post as he went home at the end of his shift.

The guard would routinely check the trash to make sure there was nothing valuable in there and wave it through.

This went on for many years. One day the factory worker retired and the old guard asked the worker what he did with all that scrap he took home every day.

The worker replied, "Nothing. I was stealing wheelbarrows."

Posts: 157610 | Location: Ukraine, Europe. | Registered: 12 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Smiler

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
That actually happened here in the 60's on a Army Post. The guy worked in the kitchen + would take home the scraps for his pigs. Did it for years.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
pretty much our current government in a nutshell

Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready

Theodore Roosevelt

Posts: 1317 | Location: eastern Iowa | Registered: 13 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
In Denmark during the german occupation in WWII, there was an avid amateur pilot with an old biplane in his barn, but no gas.
He worked at the local airfield and each day he carried his thermos to and from. Each day he nicked a thermos full of gas and when he had enough he flew to the UK and enrolled in the RAF.

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My father worked for Boeing in Seattle in 1954, and that same joke was going around then.

J Wisner

Posts: 1452 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by J Wisner:
My father worked for Boeing in Seattle in 1954, and that same joke was going around then.

J Wisner

Is there an airplane version of Johnny cash's Cadillac around somewhere ? Smiler

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
Johnny Cash song about his Cadillac

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I heard this joke in Soviet times, but the joke is not Soviet. It does not correspond to the realities of Soviet society. You, of course, it is hard to imagine, but the USSR had not a private trade, therefore, the systematic theft simply did not make sense. It was not possible to sell used things, you could sell only through the state stores. Then even the doors were made of cardboard, because burglary were rare. But after the transition to market relations all had to put steel doors Smiler.
But really Soviet anecdote: One worker worked in a factory sewing machines. He has long worked on making one item, but could not capitalize on the sewing machine. Because of the constant reproaches of his wife, he did: stole technological map and have collected a full set of parts, as from his shop, and adjacent, and gradually brought them home from the factory. But there was one problem: when he gathered together according to the technological map, he had turned the machine gun.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vashper:
I heard this joke in Soviet times, but the joke is not Soviet. It does not correspond to the realities of Soviet society. You, of course, it is hard to imagine, but the USSR had not a private trade, therefore, the systematic theft simply did not make sense. It was not possible to sell used things, you could sell only through the state stores. Then even the doors were made of cardboard, because burglary were rare. But after the transition to market relations all had to put steel doors Smiler.
But really Soviet anecdote: One worker worked in a factory sewing machines. He has long worked on making one item, but could not capitalize on the sewing machine. Because of the constant reproaches of his wife, he did: stole technological map and have collected a full set of parts, as from his shop, and adjacent, and gradually brought them home from the factory. But there was one problem: when he gathered together according to the technological map, he had turned the machine gun.

What's the problem, I'd be happy with that. Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote