Notify
Tools

Unacceptable Language
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Memo: All Contractors

Subject: Unacceptable language

The term "Nigger Rigged" is absolutely no longer acceptable.
You will now refer to this kind of repair as the "Presidential Solution"

Posts: 3617 | Location: Verdi Nevada | Registered: 01 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Nigger Rigged

Hm. http://www.urbandictionary.com...p?term=nigger+rigged

These afroamericans sometimes look like we, Russians.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vashper:
quote:
Nigger Rigged

Hm. http://www.urbandictionary.com...p?term=nigger+rigged

These afroamericans sometimes look like we, Russians.

I notice one of the cross references in that link is to duct tape. They got that in Russia ? Wink

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
We have the tape, called "scotch", or "gangster Scotch", approximately from 80-ies, as were their counterparts, we are called "isolation tape" or the abbreviation "isolenta". An early version, back in the 40's, was from cotton tape with rubber glue, but I already found PVC tape with some synthetic glue. It definitely must be blue it was considered to be somehow important in folklore.
But I wrote about the very principle - temporary repairs with the help of improvised, non-special, tools and materials. For example, "Russian key" - it's how to loosen the nut with a hammer and chisel. I once saw a local collective farm mechanics repaired Gelendvagen in the village where the road with hard surface was as far as 200 kilometers (the Germans came, made a film about Russian nature, and they was a fire in the engine compartment). At repair of hydraulic they used rubber band from the condom, which one of the young participants of the expedition had. To buy another at the drugstore - you'd have to go for a hundred miles.

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cuckoo