THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    Funny how uptight we have become
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Funny how uptight we have become
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
Just a sign of the times.

One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
And the Wayans brothers made up to be white girls isn't a similar issue?? Not only was it "not okay" it wasn't really funny (IMHO.)

Posts: 4884 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I did not see the whole thing, but, it did raise some issues that I am interested in.
1. The event in question was in 1984. Without revealing my age, I have clear recollections of my parents watching Al Jolson on TV (black and white!). I am not aware of them laughing or thinking that it was demeaning to blacks. Were they somehow insensitive anyway?
2. I have never heard the term "black face" until now. Am I insensitive or just ignorant?
3. Many years ago the word "nigger" was insensitive, insulting etc. Understand that. But why is it OK for a black person to call another black person "nigger". Is it now a compliment? Someone please explain.
4. Ditto with 'queer". Back then it was denigrating, but now LGBTQ is affirmed by "queers" as in "my partner is gender queer". Is this somehow now a technical term and therefore not insulting?
5. Why can't a white guy do the "moon walk"? I can't, but don't really want to, but surely this is technical question with a legitimate answer?
6. Weren't there blacks accusing Michael Jackson of trying to be white? Now he is an icon of blackness?
I can't help but think that this whole issue is raised by the leaders or elites, while the common folks think that the whole thing is overblown.
Note that my comments are NOT about alleged rape, which was a crime then and is a crime now, statute of limitations or not.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Yeah Peter,I remember that huge box of a B+W T.V. with the 8" round screen.And al Jolson doing "Mammy".I recall my grandfather calling the upper balcony in the theatre "nigger heaven".No disrespect,just how people talked back then.And yes it is overblown. Just for example,watch the fur fly if there was a Miss White America pagaent.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back in the day in my neck of the woods, a slingshot was a nigger shooter--both blacks and whites freely used that term. Black faced comedy--freely accepted as was blacks telling honky jokes.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
In England they had THE BLACK AND WHITE MINISTREL SHOW.

It was very popular, with half the performers with painted black faces!

We had a black man in our classroom.

I called him a bloody nig nog all the time.

He called me chocolate drop!

No one took offence.

It has gon so far now it is just plain ridiculous!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 68773 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Saeed, I think that is what I was driving at. It is not the word itself, it is the intention behind it. I assume you and the guy in your class were having some fun with each other, perhaps with a little bit of sting to it. The same words could also be used in a hateful, denigrating manner as well. I don't know how you can tell intention.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Like all the flack recently about taking "Huckleberry Finn" out of the schools because of the word.Gimme a break!

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote