New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knock at the door
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Saturday morning the weather was too bad to go out.

I was bored with nothing to do.

Suddenly there was a knock on the door.

I opened it to find a young, well dressed man standing there who said:

“Hello sir, I'm a Jehovah's Witness.”

So I said, "Come in and sit down.”

I offered him a fresh cup of coffee and asked, "What do you want to talk about?”

He said, "Beats the shit out of me. Never got this far before.."

Posts: 8274 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 12 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Are they allowed to drink coffee or am I confusing them with Mormons?
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
Exclusive Bretherens dont drink tea or coffee

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4458 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They only don't drink in front of another one. That's why you don't go fishing with just one, they'll drink all your beer, take two and they wont drink in front of one another.

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of boarkiller
posted Hide Post
What’s the difference between coffee and coke?
Coffee: some drink it and others don’t for different reasons - Mormons don’t for religious purpose
Coke: same but Mormons drink it
Beats me

" Until the day breaks and the nights shadows flee away " Big ivory for my pillow and 2.5% of Neanderthal DNA flowing thru my veins.
When I'm ready to go, pack a bag of gunpowder up my ass and strike a fire to my pecker, until I squeal like a boar.
Yours truly , Milan The Boarkiller - World according to Milan
PS I have big boar on my floor...but it ain't dead, just scared to move...

Man should be happy and in good humor until the day he dies...
Only fools hope to live forever
“ Hávamál”

Posts: 13376 | Location: In mountains behind my house hunting or drinking beer in Blacksmith Brewery in Stevensville MT or holed up in Lochsa | Registered: 27 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not humor, but have a good friend that had a gorgeous wife. She was a JW. She got some kind of cancer and as I understand her religion would not allow normal medical treatment. She died in her late 40s with two early teen kids.
Stupid!

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2638 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Coffee: some drink it and others don’t for different reasons - Mormons don’t for religious purpose
Beats me

The difference is that the Mormon Church owns stock in Coca Cola.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12552 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by df06:
Not humor, but have a good friend that had a gorgeous wife. She was a JW. She got some kind of cancer and as I understand her religion would not allow normal medical treatment. She died in her late 40s with two early teen kids.
Stupid!

Every JW I've ever met had no problem with most medical care they just won't accept a blood transfusion.

Posts: 2329 | Location: uSA | Registered: 02 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by boarkiller:
Beats me

Mormon Church Doctrine has specific admonitions concerning Tea, Coffee, Tobacco and Alcohol...they do not however have a specific doctrine concerning caffeine. It's sorta splitting hairs but it is what the church teaches them. So some caffeine drinks are fine but Coffee and Tea are not on the okay list.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fjold:
The difference is that the Mormon Church owns stock in Coca Cola.

quote:
It is the Church's practice to automatically liquidate all stocks/bonds provided to the donations in kind office as soon as they can be sold. Any stock donations made to the Church are never held by the Church or its corporations, but are converted into cash and then used for Church purposes.

https://www.fairmormon.org/ans..._in_Church_practices

Before anyone gets the wrong idea I am not Mormon or JW, I just don't like mis-information spread around like it is fact when it is so easy to find the truth.

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
My ex would invite them in + tell them 1st thing out of the box,"I went to 12 years of Catholic school,what can you tell me?"They usually backed up at that point.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I engaged a Jehovah's Witness for over half an hour once on my front porch. In a snowstorm. In 8 degrees. With me in my warm insulated overalls. And him in a flimsy jacket.

Never saw him again...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I certainly don't know what stocks any churches have or how long they hold them. Don't know if true or not, have heard only a very select few get to see the financial records of the Mormon church. Would IRS investigate a tax exempt organization? Would what gets reported be accurate?

Posts: 3808 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
The original joke was indeed funny.

posted Hide Post
quote:
The original joke was indeed funny.

That!!!

"It's a good day for something"

Posts: 319 | Location: S E Wisconsin | Registered: 15 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman,word is that Veral Smith (of mould making +lube fame) was imprisoned by the IRS due to his business belonging to the church.I bought a LOT of blue lube from his wife while he was in stir;we all gotta help.Anyone heard any new news on this?

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wife hates them with a passion, since she worked in a hospital and watched one young man die after refusing blood transfusions. Just old enough to make that decision for himself.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I sent the jw's over to my brother in law's. That was many years ago.

Dave

Posts: 2086 | Location: Seattle Washington, USA | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Norman Conquest---I heard that Veral Smiths church group misinformed him that income tax was optional. He tried not paying and went to the pen. He didn't learn, after being released and on probation, he again tried avoiding taxes by claiming the business was owned by the church. He went back to the pen. I give him credit. He wrote a "book" which I don't know at what phase a pamphlet becomes a book but I'd say if it's a book it just barely made it. Obviously no proof reader as it's filled with misspellings. No load data. He is able to sell this for more than a Lyman reloading manual which is several times larger, has pictures and is filled with load data.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I was a small child, a JW (or Mormon) not sure which, knocked on the door while my mother was taking a bath. Of course, I let him in. He had to be amazed, since we lived directly across the street from a Catholic Church and convent. My mother was equally amazed when she emerged in a towel wanting to know who I was talking to.

Never did that again!

Posts: 10038 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Actually, when I was a kid, we had a pair of Mormons, they always come in pairs, drop by. Not much about religion, but the first time I ever heard about the M1 thumb. Smiler They were both just out of the military and doing their mission.

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
carpetman,true on his book,although I buy a lot of books + glean what I can.Along with the lube I bought an A/L mould for 160G. 7MM + had him do a chamber mike for my sizing dies for my 7x57 AI.He does/did good work.Sorry about his legal issuses. None of us WANT to pay taxes;it's just called rent.You either pay,move,or get evicted (in whatever form).

One of Us
Picture of yumastepside
posted Hide Post
When I was in my teens and still living at home, I was cleaning my 6" Colt Python .357 for a match I was to shoot that afternoon, hearing a knock at the door, ( and not really thinking about what I had in my hand )I went to answer the door only to find two women and a baby in a pram with a handful of religious pamphlets. Needless to say they made a hasty "we'll come back later" and departed.......funny, they never did come back Confused

Roger

Posts: 1041 | Location: Was NSW, now Tas Australia | Registered: 27 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
us

I consider myself to be a tolerant man. I do not prostelize my views to others and expect them to grant me the same courtesy. I live in what used to be a semi rural area and we get very little solicitation.
Once many years ago I saw the JWs (Jehovah Witnesses)in my subdivision and knew they would be at my house soon. My house sits aways back from the road and that gives me some time to observe visitors coming up the driveway. I saw the aforementioned JWs coming towards the house. I whistled for Greta, my AKC champion Rottweiler who outside the house was the epitome of a well socialized dog. Inside the house she was a true Rottweiler until you were properly introduced and then all was well. As they approached the door, I gave Greta the schutzhund command to be ready. The doorbell rang and I grabbed Greta's collar and opened the door. Being greeted by 90 lbs. of snarling Rottweiler ,they said they were JWs and when I said I was not interested, they immediately vacated the premises. I have not been approached by the JWs since that time nor have I been approached by any other solicitors. Word of mouth maybe? I do enjoy my privacy. Jerry Hoover

Posts: 372 | Location: Round Rock,TX | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote