THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Humor    hey, texans, just to show there are no hard feelings......
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

hey, texans, just to show there are no hard feelings......
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
STILL the best "internet joke" of all time......

-----------

Texas Chili Contest

If you can read this whole story without laughing then there's
no hope
for you. I was crying by the end. Note: Please take time to
read this
slowly. If you pay attention to the first two judges, the
reaction of
the third judge is even better. For those of you who have lived
in
Texas, you know how true this is. They actually have a Chili
Cook-off
about the time Halloween comes around. It takes up a major
portion of a
parking lot at the San Antonio City Park. Judge #3 was an
inexperienced
Chili taster named Frank, who was visiting from Springfield, IL.

Frank: "Recently, I was honored to be selected as a judge at a
chili
cook-off. The original person called in sick at the last
moment and I
happened to be standing there at the judge's table asking for
directions to the Coors Light truck, when the call came in. I
was
assured by the other two judges (Native Texans) that the chili
wouldn't
be all that spicy and, besides, they told me I could have free
beer
during the tasting, so I accepted".

Here are the scorecard notes from the event:

CHILI # 1 - MIKE'S MANIAC MONSTER CHILI...

Judge # 1 -- A little too heavy on the tomato. Amusing kick.
Judge # 2 -- Nice, smooth tomato flavor. Very mild.
Judge # 3 (Frank) -- Holy shit, what the hell is this stuff?
You could
remove dried paint from your driveway. Took me two beers to put
the
flames out. I hope that's the worst one. These Texans are
crazy.

CHILI # 2 - AUSTIN'S AFTERBURNER CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- Smoky, with a hint of pork. Slight jalapeno tang.

Judge # 2 -- Exciting BBQ flavor, needs more peppers to be
taken
seriously.
Judge # 3 -- Keep this out of the reach of children. I'm not
sure what
I'm supposed to taste besides pain. I had to wave off two
people who
wanted to give me the Heimlich maneuver. They had to rush in
more beer
when they saw the look on my face.

CHILI # 3 - FRED'S FAMOUS BURN DOWN THE BARN CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- Excellent firehouse chili. Great kick.
Judge # 2 -- A bit salty, good use of peppers.
Judge # 3 -- Call the EPA. I've located a uranium spill. My
nose feels
like I have been snorting Drano. Everyone knows the routine by
now. Get
me more beer before I ignite. Barmaid pounded me on the back,
now my
backbone is in the front part of my chest. I'm getting
shit-faced from
all of the beer.

CHILI # 4 - BUBBA'S BLACK MAGIC...
Judge # 1 -- Black bean chili with almost no spice.
Disappointing.
Judge # 2 -- Hint of lime in the black beans. Good side dish
for fish or other mild foods, not much of a chili.
Judge # 3 -- I felt something scraping across my tongue, but was
unable
to taste it. Is it possible to burn out taste buds? Sally, the
beermaid,
was standing behind me with fresh refills. That 300-LB woman is
starting
to look HOT...just like this nuclear waste I'm eating! Is
chili an
aphrodisiac?

CHILI # 5 LISA'S LEGAL LIP REMOVER...
Judge # 1 -- Meaty, strong chili. Cayenne peppers freshly
ground,
adding considerable kick. Very impressive.
Judge # 2 -- Chili using shredded beef, could use more tomato.
Must
admit the cayenne peppers make a strong statement.
Judge # 3 -- My ears are ringing, sweat is pouring off my
forehead and
I can no longer focus my eyes. I farted and four people behind
me needed
paramedics. The contestant seemed offended when I told her that
her
chili had given me brain damage. Sally saved my tongue from
bleeding by
pouring beer directly on it from the pitcher. I wonder if I'm
burning
my lips off. It really pisses me off that the other judges
asked me to
stop screaming. Screw those rednecks.

CHILI # 6 - VERA'S VERY VEGETARIAN VARIETY...
Judge # 1 -- Thin yet bold vegetarian variety chili. Good
balance of
spices and peppers.
Judge # 2 -- The best yet. Aggressive use of peppers, onions,
and
garlic. Superb.
Judge # 3 -- My intestines are now a straight pipe filled with
gaseous,
sulfuric flames. I shit on myself when I farted and I'm worried
it will
eat through the chair. No one seems inclined to stand behind me
except
that Sally. Can't feel my lips anymore. I need to wipe my ass
with a
snow cone.

CHILI # 7 - SUSAN'S SCREAMING SENSATION CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- A mediocre chili with too much reliance on canned
peppers.
Judge # 2 -- Ho hum, tastes as if the chef literally threw in a
can of
chili peppers at the last moment. **I should take note that I
am worried
about Judge # 3. He appears to be in a bit of distress as he is
cursing
uncontrollably.
Judge # 3 -- You could put a grenade in my mouth, pull the pin,
and I
wouldn't feel a thing. I've lost sight in one eye, and the
world sounds
like it is made of rushing water. My shirt is covered with
chili, which
slid unnoticed out of my mouth. My pants are full of lava to
match my
shirt. At least during the autopsy, they'll know what killed
me. I've
decided to stop breathing it's too painful. Screw it; I'm not
getting
any oxygen anyway. If I need air, I'll just suck it in through
the
4-inch hole in my stomach.

CHILI # 8 - BIG TOM'S TOENAIL CURLING CHILI...
Judge # 1 -- The perfect ending, this is a nice blend chili.
Not too
bold but spicy enough to declare its existence.
Judge # 2 -- This final entry is a good, balanced chili.
Neither mild
nor hot. Sorry to see that most of it was lost when Judge #3
farted,
passed out, fell over and pulled the chili pot down on top of
himself.
Not sure if he's going to make it. poor feller, wonder how he'd
have
reacted to really hot chili?
Judge # 3 - No Report

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
This belongs in the humor section. It has nothing to do with American big game hunting.

Bobby
Μολὼν λαβέ
The most important thing in life is not what we do but how and why we do it. - Nana Mouskouri

Posts: 9374 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
This belongs in the humor section

I have to disagree Bobby. It would need to be funny to be in the humor section.

Posts: 1557 | Location: Texas | Registered: 26 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
hey, disagreements on other threads aside, i did think this was funny, and i posted it in an effort to lighten the border skirmishes. no offense was intended, and if anyone was offended by this, then my effort failed; for that, i apologize.

Posts: 51246 | Location: Chinook, Montana | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry bro, not that funny.
However texans (I being a former) I thought that chili was Green! And had no meat. I know that ya'll like to come over here and suck down our wonderous Hatch beauties!
.............wapiti7

Posts: 663 | Location: On a hunt somewhere | Registered: 22 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Oh yeah, wonderous Hatch beauties. Now we're talking. Let's talk chile (not chili) instead of hunting... Or better yet, anybody figger out a way to hunt chile? That would liven things up a little. I always tell the wife we could eat more chicken if you could hunt 'em! Big Grin

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
I have a live bird thrower we could upsize for chickens.
Big Grin

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
desert ram -

from a grammatical point of view, i always thought CHILE was the country in south america, also the various peppers of that type.

i was undeer the impression that CHILI, on the other hand, was the good stuff that can only be made right in texas.

have i been wrong all these years?

one of us
posted Hide Post
"chili" is short for "chili con carne", which is a gringo corruption of the Spanish "chile con carne" which means chile(peppers) with meat.

FWIW, I had seen that joke before and thought it was hilarious.

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
Old Joke, but it is funny.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CRUSHER
posted Hide Post
chili in Texas and chili in new mexico are not even close to the same dish usualy if you grew up eating one you dont like the other very much. I like both but most people dont.

VERITAS ODIUM PARIT

Posts: 1624 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
if anyone would like to exchange recipes, please feel free to let me know.

our chili that we make up here would probably not stand up to true chili con carne, but it seems to do well. mrs. tasunkawitko keeps the heat down when she makes chili, which is unfortunate in my opinion. also, she won't let me use cumin, which seems to me to be a critical ingredient.

------------------------

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
pm sent...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I liked the little diddy. Reminded me of a long time ago when the song "The Streak" was big. My dad's friend entered a chili contest in Houston and called it The Streak. It was about as hot as what the guy in the diddy was describing. And to top it off it was actually quite good - with lots and lots of beer. Won second place for the contest.

As far as NM chile, love it too!

Posts: 3456 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 17 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Come on guys, it was funny, even if it is an old joke!

One thing is, even Texans wrongly call CHILI CON CARNE, "CHILI", but they know better, just too lazy to finish the name!

CHILIis Spanish PEPPER, nothing more !

CHILI CON CARNE means "PEPPER WITH MEAT", and is a bowl of a mixture of spices, CHILI, beans, and MEAT that Yankees call CHILI, but because they don't know any better! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mmmmmmm...

Had elk frito pie two nights ago and elk chili dogs for dinner last night. I'd eat it again tonight but the wife wants a little variety. Our weather finally got cool enough to truely enjoy it.

Perry

Posts: 2247 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i guess i'll be branded a traitor or a communist but i don't really care for chili except maybe a little on a chili dog. my wife works for a chef from canada and she brought home some of his so called chili a few times. it has weird stuff like mushrooms in it. doesn't qualify as chili in my book but it is pretty good. my dad is married to a real mexican(actually from mexico and a mexican citizen) and if you ask her for some chili she will point you to a jar of peppers. just depends on where you're at i guess.

BTW....yes, cumin IS a key ingredient Big Grin

blaming guns for crime is like blaming silverware for rosie o'donnell being fat

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of buckeyeshooter
posted Hide Post
Well, I had never seen this before and I laughed until I cried! Very funny!

Posts: 5708 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
quote:
i guess i'll be branded a traitor or a communist but i don't really care for chili

Don't consider yourself alone in that boat, I can't hardly stand chili. Maybe on a Chili Dog or in a Frito Pie, but that is it.

Give me a steak any day, I don't care what the weather is like.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Right back at ya

quote:
The Deer Wrangler

No author given for this but, true or not, it is funny. Lengthy but funny.

I had this idea that I was going to rope a deer, put it in a stall, Feed it up on corn for a couple of weeks, then kill it and eat it. The First step in this adventure was getting a deer. I figured that since they congregated at my cattle feeder and do not seem to have much fear of me when we are there (a bold one will sometimes come right up and sniff at the bags of feed while I am in the back of the truck not 4 feet away) that it should not be difficult to rope one, get up to it and toss a bag over its head (to calm it down) then hog tie it and transport it home.

I filled the cattle feeder then hid down at the end with my rope. The cattle, who had seen the roping thing before, stayed well back. They were not having any of it. After about 20 minutes my deer showed up - 3 of them. I picked out a likely looking one, stepped out from the end of the feeder, and threw my rope. The deer just stood there and stared at me. I wrapped the rope around my waist and twisted the end so I would have a good hold. The deer still just stood and stared at me, but you could tell it was mildly concerned about the whole rope situation. I took a step towards it...it took a step away. I put a little tension on the rope and received an education.

The first thing that I learned is that while a deer may just stand there looking at you funny while you rope it, they are spurred to action when you start pulling on that rope. That deer EXPLODED.

The second thing I learned is that pound for pound, a deer is a LOT stronger than a cow or a colt. A cow or a colt in that weight range I could fight down with a rope with some dignity. A deer, no chance. That thing ran and bucked and twisted and pulled. There was no controlling it and certainly no getting close to it. As it jerked me off my feet and started dragging me across the ground, it occurred to me that having a deer on a rope was not nearly as good an idea as I originally imagined. The only up side is that they do not have as much stamina as many animals. A brief 10 minutes later, it was tired and not nearly as quick to jerk me off my feet and drag me when I managed to get up. It took me a few minutes to realize this, since I was mostly blinded by the blood flowing out of the big gash in my head.

At that point I had lost my taste for corn fed venison. I just wanted to get that devil creature off the end of that rope. I figured if I just Let it go with the rope hanging around its neck, it would likely die slow and painfully somewhere. At the time, there was no love at all between me and that deer. At that moment, I hated the thing and I would venture a guess that the feeling was mutual. Despite the gash in my head and the several large knots where I had cleverly arrested the deer's momentum by bracing my head against various large rocks as it dragged me across the ground, I could still think clearly enough to recognize that there was a small chance that I shared some tiny amount of responsibility for the situation we were in, so I didn't want the deer to have it suffer a slow death so I managed to get it lined back up in between my truck and the feeder - a little trap I had set before hand. Kind of like a squeeze chute. I got it to back in there and started moving up so I could get my rope back.

Did you know that deer bite? They do! I never in a million years would have thought that a deer would bite somebody so I was very surprised when I reached up there to grab that rope and the deer grabbed hold of my wrist. Now, when a deer bites you, it is not like being bit by a horse where they just bite you and then let go. A deer bites you and shakes its head - almost like a pit bull. They bite HARD and it hurts.

The proper thing to do when a deer bites you is probably to freeze and draw back slowly. I tried screaming and shaking instead. My method was ineffective. It seems like the deer was biting and shaking for several minutes, but it was likely only several seconds. I, being smarter than a deer (though you may be questioning that claim by now) tricked it.

While I kept it busy tearing the bejesus out of my right arm, I reached up with my left hand and pulled that rope loose.

That was when I got my final lesson in deer behavior for the day. Deer will strike at you with their front feet. They rear right up on their back feet and strike right about head and shoulder level, and their hooves are surprisingly sharp. I learned a long time ago that when an animal like a horse strikes at you with their hooves and you can't get away easily, the best thing to do is try to make a loud noise and make an aggressive move towards the animal. This will usually cause them to back down a bit so you can escape. This was not a horse. This was a deer, so obviously such trickery would not work. In the course of a millisecond I devised a different strategy. I screamed like woman and tried to turn and run. The reason I had always been told NOT to try to turn and run from a horse that paws at you is that there is a good chance that it will hit you in the back of the head. Deer may not be so different from horses after all, besides being twice as strong and three times as evil, because the second I turned to run, it hit me right in the back of the head and knocked me down. Now when a deer paws at you and knocks you down it does not immediately leave. I suspect it does not recognize that the danger has passed. What they do instead is paw your back and jump up and down on you while you are laying there crying like a little girl and covering your head.

I finally managed to crawl under the truck and the deer went away.

Now for the local legend. I was pretty beat up. My scalp was split open, I had several large goose eggs, my wrist was bleeding pretty good and felt broken (it turned out to be just badly bruised) and my back was bleeding in a few places, though my insulated canvas jacket had protected me from most of the worst of it. I drove to the nearest place, which was the co-op. I got out of the truck, covered in blood and dust and looking like hell. The guy who ran the place saw me through the window and came running out yelling "what happened"

I have never seen any law in the state of Montana that would prohibit an individual from roping a deer. I suspect that this is an area that they have overlooked entirely. Knowing, as I do, the lengths to which law enforcement personnel will go to exercise their power, I was concerned that they may find a way to twist the existing laws to paint my actions as criminal. I swear...not wanting to admit that I had done something monumentally stupid played no part in my response. I told him "I was attacked by a deer". I did not mention that at the time I had a rope on it. The evidence was all over my body. Deer prints on the back of my jacket where it had stomped all over me and a large deer print on my face where it had struck me there. I asked him to call somebody to come get me. I didn't think I could make it home on my own. He did. Later that afternoon, a game warden showed up at my house and wanted to know about the deer attack. Surprisingly, deer attacks are a rare thing and wildlife and parks was interested in the event. I tried to describe the attack as completely and accurately as I could. I was filling the grain hopper and this deer came out of nowhere and just started kicking the hell out of me and BIT me. It was obviously rabid or insane or something.

EVERYBODY for miles around knows about the deer attack (the guy at the co-op has a big mouth). For several weeks people dragged their kids in the house when they saw deer around and the local ranchers carried rifles when they filled their feeders. I have told several people the story, but NEVER anybody around here. I have to see these people every day and as an outsider - a "city folk". I have enough trouble fitting in without them snickering behind my back and whispering "there is the idiot that tried to rope the deer."

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
Chili with an "i" is (in my experience and based on research) typically a stewlike concoction with meat, peppers, spices, and frequently beans. That's what you'd put on a chili dog or get in a can from Dinty Moore or Wolf brand. Good stuff, especially when made with green chile, with an "e".

Chile is a type of pepper, grown mostly in the desert southwest and made famous by those talented farmers in Hatch, NM. New Mexico State University here in Las Cruces has a research facility devoted exclusively to chile development. They also have one for onions, but I digress. These chile peppers, when harvested shortly after ripening, are green and quite yummy, particularly when roasted and eaten fresh. If allowed to remain on the vine, they eventually turn red and dry out, when they can be used for chile powder and the crushed red pepper you put on your pizza.

Chile is, of course, also a country in South America, but it's much too large for me to eat.

Posts: 3296 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
CHILIis Spanish PEPPER, nothing more !

CHILI CON CARNE means "PEPPER WITH MEAT", and is a bowl of a mixture of spices, CHILI, beans, and MEAT that Yankees call CHILI, but because they don't know any better! Big Grin

I am just a Canuck, so what do I know about Chili, but hey, I've always thought...shouldn't it be CHILI CON CARNE Y FRIJOLES???

Almost every "Chili" that I've ever had with meat also had beans in it.

Smiler Canuck

ps: How 'bout a vote....should I move this thread to "Humour", "Miscellaneous" or "Favorite Game Recipes"??

Posts: 7121 | Location: The Rock (southern V.I.) | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
chili alternative = "budiceale's taco soup"

1 lb hamburger meat
1 onion
1 can rotel (original)
1 can campbells tomato soup
1 packet taco seasoning
1 can bush's chili majic chili starter(traditional)
1 cup water
1 can corn(NOT that "creamed" stuff)
some garlic powder

brown the meat with the onion(chopped) and the garlic powder

drain grease

dump in rotel, tomoto soup, taco seasoning, chili starter, water, corn(with juice). simmer for about 1/2 hour on low heat(just enough to make it bubble)

serve with grated cheese and fritos.

this is the basic recipe. please feel free to vary the amount of any of the ingredients to suit your taste. sometimes i throw in a can of ranch style beans just to make it go farther.

you can't make a chili dog with it but it beats the hell out of a bowl of chili in my humble opinion. ENJOY!!

Posts: 1213 | Location: new braunfels, tx | Registered: 04 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
crazyhorse

i agree. i could easily eat a new york strip(medium), a baked potato with all the fixins, and a salad with blue cheese dressing and never feel like i was missing anything except maybe a shiner bock Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
let me add just a teensy bit of fuel to the fire:

This was told to me back about twenty years ago by Bill Jordan...yes, THAT Bill Jordan. He says to me, "...Richard, do you know the difference between a Coonass and a Horse's ass?" I say 'nossir', and he sits back and says "the Sabine River...".

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

y'see the Sabine River is the border between Louisiana and Texas, and Bill was from Shreveport, and...never mind!

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Back at ya' Idaho sharpshooter

You probably heard that they had to cancel the Ms. Ebonics pagent? Seems that there were only 49 contestants. For some reason a contestant could not be found for "I de ho".

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tas,
That is for sure funny!!!

BEANS? did somebody say BEANS?, in Chili? That is definately not a Texas thang. ARGHHHHHH.

Posts: 41861 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Geedubya,

you make that sound like it's a bad thing!

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote