New
Find
Notify
Tools

new puppy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got a new puppy yesterday, a female chocolate lab, and it and the indoor cat don't get along. Cat is losing control of house, and puppy just curious. Cat has been de-clawed and bats at puppy when it gets too close. Puppy really loves tasty morsels cat leaves in litter box!

Posts: 350 | Location: state of missery/missouri | Registered: 08 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I have 2 yellow labs and they love to play "chase the kitty."

Of course the cat doesn't like it much. She is also declawed.

Keep the dog away from the litter box. That will reduce risk of toxoplasmosis.

doc

one of us
posted Hide Post
I put up a gate as soon as I noticed the problem {about 4 hours after she came home}, just thought it funny about the "tasty morsels"!

Posts: 350 | Location: state of missery/missouri | Registered: 08 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The cat will soon see this as a game, too. Then you'll have your hands full.

My Tonkinese cat hated being harassed by the Sheltie my ex-wife got, for a short while. Then the cat figured out it's own game - get the dog's attention so it would chase, then run down the hall full speed and make the turn into the bedroom. The cat could make the turn no problem. The dog invariably missed the turn and slammed full speed into the wall.

Yeah, the Sheltie loved the "Tender Vittles", too. Had to put a door closer on the laundry room to keep the dog out of the box.

Now, my Brittany just tries to swallow the cat's head. At 14 yrs old, the cat is showing no signs of slowing down and manages to deke the dog out most days.

Posts: 2921 | Location: Canada | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote