Tools

GUn&blonde
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted

Posts: 2356 | Location: Moscow | Registered: 07 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Improper instruction before firing for sure.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For the life of me, I've never been able to figure out why anyone would own a shotgun without a stock. Confused

Grizz

Indeed, no human being has yet lived under conditions which, considering the prevailing climates of the past, can be regarded as normal. John E Pfeiffer, The Emergence of Man

Those who can't skin, can hold a leg. Abraham Lincoln

Only one war at a time. Abe Again.

Posts: 4211 | Location: Alta. Canada | Registered: 06 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Memories of my 3rd son finding my 1911 in the drawer by the bed when he was 3.(You Can not hide anything from your kids!!!!!) He said "Dad,this is the down range gun right?" Sure,let me show you how it works. I put only 1 in the mag for obvious reasons,chambered said piece + let him fire....,well I should say that the mystery was removed from this forbidden fruit.He did'nt want to touch another until his pre teen years + then we started the routine.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NormanConquest:
Memories of my 3rd son finding my 1911 in the drawer by the bed when he was 3.(You Can not hide anything from your kids!!!!!) He said "Dad,this is the down range gun right?" Sure,let me show you how it works. I put only 1 in the mag for obvious reasons,chambered said piece + let him fire....,well I should say that the mystery was removed from this forbidden fruit.He did'nt want to touch another until his pre teen years + then we started the routine.

I found that scaring the crap out of kids or other first timers with excessive recoil a really poor way to train future shooters.

But each to his own.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:

I found that scaring the crap out of kids or other first timers with excessive recoil a really poor way to train future shooters.

But each to his own.

Maybe. but if it is followed closely by a friendly conversation in which his dad tells him the reason it was unpleasant is because he is too young and too small and hasn't been taught how to handle it yet, but promises him that when he IS old enough Dad will teach him how to do it in a way that is fun, it can make the kid safer AND get him looking forward to when he CAN do it right and enjoy it.

That can turn it into a beneficial "learning experience".

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
My boys (6 and 7) are too young to really teach this to, but were getting a little scary sounding with their nerf guns. I took them to the range with a BB Gun (Red Rider), a Ruger 10-22 and a Colt Woodsman (.22lr) pistol. They got three shots of each, under heavy supervision.

That was enough for them to understand how dangerous things can get when not following "The rules". They both enjoyed it, but don't want to go back until they are much bigger and can handle the weight of the gun and the recoil.

CJ

One of Us
Picture of NormanConquest
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the back up Lloyd. That was exactly how it worked.He is 24 now + actively involved in the shooting sports.No mental damage + due to my idea, no physical either.I understand p dogs position,I feel the same on starting a new woman shooter on a .44 mag.,etc.This is not the same issue;reread my post please.This was done for the safety of my son concerning familiarily with firearms found in the home.BTW we enjoy shooting together to this day.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 17357 | Location: Austin, Texas | Registered: 11 March 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
By the time my kids were six they had been taught that the first thing you did when picking up a gun was to clear it and announce that it was cleared. They began shooting with me at six and enjoyed the experiences enough to continue shooting to the present day. They are 37 and 39 now and still love to shoot.

Their training started before they could pull the trigger or cock the hammer. They still to this day clear any gun that they pick up before anything else. They believe it is just the way that guns are handled.

I have always had loaded guns within their reach but they were taught to ask before handling them and how to do it safely from a very young age. We never had any accidents. I have a granddaughter who shoots five stand and 22 silhouette - she is a force to be reckoned with.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote